Nick rolovich
12%
Rich miano
5%
Chris naeole
3%
They should've kept norm chow
2%
Other(please explain who in comments below)
22%

Total votes: 60

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Who would you like to see as new coach!

Post by eonatoa »

Is it out of the question to consider Cal Lee? No one has more knowledge and experience in the local football scene than cal lee. He has recruiting clout locally and could manage our local team. Ill admit, i was one of the skeptics about him taking over at St louis again, i thoughg the high school scene had changed too much for him to dig stl out. But he did it.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

gopunahou wrote:Why not Steve Spurrier?
Spurrier would be awesome.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

eonatoa wrote:Is it out of the question to consider Cal Lee? No one has more knowledge and experience in the local football scene than cal lee. He has recruiting clout locally and could manage our local team. Ill admit, i was one of the skeptics about him taking over at St louis again, i thoughg the high school scene had changed too much for him to dig stl out. But he did it.
It's not out of the question. But it won't fill the stadium.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I hope whomever is picked is presented with the football budget before he is hired so nwe don't have to har their bitchin about it afterwards like from Chow and von Appen.
ImageImage

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

poidog wrote:After thinking about it more, this is my short list of qualifications for the next coach:

1) Candidate must have played for UH or been a member of a coaching staff under Dick Tomey, Bob Wagner, or June Jones. I think it is important that the next coach have had experienced success here at UH. Coaches that don't have that experience come in and try to change things to work like it did at their mainland stops and it hasn't worked.

2) Candidate must be under 60 years old. This job requires a tremendous amount of energy.

3) Candidate must coach for less than $750k. Anyone who needs more money to coach here is coming here for the wrong reasons. Fill the seats again and then we'll talk about a raise.

4) Candidate must either embrace an offensive philosophy that can have success without having "prototype" skill players (huge offensive linemen or tall receivers with sub-4.4 speed) OR not be an Offensive Coordinator/HC.

5) Candidate must have existing ties to Polynesian community and Samoa OR must have someone on staff that does.

6) Candidate must have existing ties to the local High School football community OR must have someone on staff that does.

That's pretty much it. Most (if not all) of the serious names that have been discussed fit within my list (JJ, Miano, Rolo, Babers, Norwood, McCloud, Ulbrich, etc). Some people scoff at the thought that the next coach needs to have Hawaii ties (real ties to Hawaii football, unlike Norm who looks the part but hasn't lived here in over a generation and hasn't played or coached at UH previously), but this is a sentiment shared by former players and coaches from multiple generations and eras of Hawaii football that experienced success here. We talk about the unique challenges here and how it makes success here harder to find, and then we look for coaches who try to apply their mainland program experience here and then we are surprised when it fails.

I don't think this is as hopeless as some people make it out to me. I think the fact that the Chow debacle is so fresh in everyone's minds (fans, administration, board of regents, everyone) that extra effort will be made to not make the same mistakes that were made the last time we did this (and maybe the last two times, like paying someone $1.2 Million to coach here, which was not sustainible). My confidence is high that Matlin will make a choice that is free of politicking or behind-the-scenes puppeting and I wouldn't be surprised if he elected to not use a search committee. He may still make the wrong choice, but at least it will be a whole lot more transparent than the last time. At the end of the day, all we can really hope for is a clean process and for whoever ends up making the decision owns that decision from beginning to end. That, in itself, would be an immediate improvement of the situation.
I dislike the notion that the next HC needs to be from Hawaii or have some tie to the islands/program. If he didn't, he could simply have assistants from Hawaii. I also think going back to JJ is flawed as his career is on the down swing and Rolo is running a run first system. Those two are not very impressive.

I'll add a great options Kalani Sataki (OSU) who is from Tonga and has no program connection, but is an outstanding DC on the path being a HC.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

eonatoa wrote:Is it out of the question to consider Cal Lee? No one has more knowledge and experience in the local football scene than cal lee. He has recruiting clout locally and could manage our local team. Ill admit, i was one of the skeptics about him taking over at St louis again, i thoughg the high school scene had changed too much for him to dig stl out. But he did it.
It would be a short term fix. The guy is a legend and is at it again @ St Louis. He could be an option and have a OC or DC groomed to take the torch later. Cal has the ability to persuade the Laie and Waianae boys to play for him, so it would be nice if he could do the same at UH.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

Palolo_2LA wrote:
poidog wrote:After thinking about it more, this is my short list of qualifications for the next coach:

1) Candidate must have played for UH or been a member of a coaching staff under Dick Tomey, Bob Wagner, or June Jones. I think it is important that the next coach have had experienced success here at UH. Coaches that don't have that experience come in and try to change things to work like it did at their mainland stops and it hasn't worked.

2) Candidate must be under 60 years old. This job requires a tremendous amount of energy.

3) Candidate must coach for less than $750k. Anyone who needs more money to coach here is coming here for the wrong reasons. Fill the seats again and then we'll talk about a raise.

4) Candidate must either embrace an offensive philosophy that can have success without having "prototype" skill players (huge offensive linemen or tall receivers with sub-4.4 speed) OR not be an Offensive Coordinator/HC.

5) Candidate must have existing ties to Polynesian community and Samoa OR must have someone on staff that does.

6) Candidate must have existing ties to the local High School football community OR must have someone on staff that does.

That's pretty much it. Most (if not all) of the serious names that have been discussed fit within my list (JJ, Miano, Rolo, Babers, Norwood, McCloud, Ulbrich, etc). Some people scoff at the thought that the next coach needs to have Hawaii ties (real ties to Hawaii football, unlike Norm who looks the part but hasn't lived here in over a generation and hasn't played or coached at UH previously), but this is a sentiment shared by former players and coaches from multiple generations and eras of Hawaii football that experienced success here. We talk about the unique challenges here and how it makes success here harder to find, and then we look for coaches who try to apply their mainland program experience here and then we are surprised when it fails.

I don't think this is as hopeless as some people make it out to me. I think the fact that the Chow debacle is so fresh in everyone's minds (fans, administration, board of regents, everyone) that extra effort will be made to not make the same mistakes that were made the last time we did this (and maybe the last two times, like paying someone $1.2 Million to coach here, which was not sustainible). My confidence is high that Matlin will make a choice that is free of politicking or behind-the-scenes puppeting and I wouldn't be surprised if he elected to not use a search committee. He may still make the wrong choice, but at least it will be a whole lot more transparent than the last time. At the end of the day, all we can really hope for is a clean process and for whoever ends up making the decision owns that decision from beginning to end. That, in itself, would be an immediate improvement of the situation.
I dislike the notion that the next HC needs to be from Hawaii or have some tie to the islands/program. If he didn't, he could simply have assistants from Hawaii. I also think going back to JJ is flawed as his career is on the down swing and Rolo is running a run first system. Those two are not very impressive.

I'll add a great options Kalani Sataki (OSU) who is from Tonga and has no program connection, but is an outstanding DC on the path being a HC.
He's already making a lot more than we would offer. He has no program ties so there is no sentimental value at UH.
ImageImage

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

best value would be miano at hc and jj at oc.

fballnutbag
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by fballnutbag »

Not Miano. I say JJ with Rolo as OC, with the intentions of hiring him after. Or just make Rolo the head and June can be offensive consultant

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

#1. June Jones with Nick Rolovich as the QB/OC coach... Nobody knows how to squeeze the budget and win games with the talent Hawaii usually lands like June Jones and Nick Rolovich. I would take June Jones by himself without Nick Rolovich on his staff but it would be so much better with both of them on the offense coaching staff.

#2 This is a long shot but Dino Babers also know how to make do with a small budget and wins games.

#3 Scott Frost- Oregon Ducks offensive coordinator

FCS Coaches that should get some attention and definitely know how to win with small budgets.

#1 Beau Baldwin- Eastern Washington head coach

#2 John Grass- Jacksonville State Head Coach.

#3 Chris Kileman- North Dakota State Head Coach.

#4 Bob Stitt- Montana Head Coach

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

After reading Ferd Lewis' op.ed "New Coach must get it" - which is a great read - I like JJ but with Rolo as OC. JJ was very successful at UH, but the question is - whether his Run-n-Shoot is outdated? Other teams have seen it and can prepare for it. Would JJ allow a young mind like Rolo to tweak and update it?
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

glockguy
All-conference
All-conference

Post by glockguy »

WarriorTyme wrote:
#4 Bob Stitt- Montana Head Coach

:hello1: this would be my pick :hello1: He's making $175k right now.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Irse wrote:
Palolo_2LA wrote:

He's already making a lot more than we would offer. He has no program ties so there is no sentimental value at UH.
The selling point would be a HC opportunity. Also, he's Polynesian and UH is Polynesian's team.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

preferably someone who didn't try to jump to a different team then mopped around when he got turned down and eventually quit midseason.