Should Max Wittek continue to be the starting QB?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Should Max Wittek continue to be the starting QB?

Post by poidog »

"If" (and it's a big IF as of 12:07am on Sunday morning) Norm Chow is still coach of the team next week, do you think there is any way he can stick with Max Wittek? I ask this because I have a feeling that if Chow is still coach next week that Wittek will continue to be "his guy" for as long as he is still head coach. I don't care who gets the shot - we just need someone new behind center. I don't care how good he looks in practice or how good of an arm he has, he can't get it done. I'd rather see woolsey run read-option plays for 4 yards a carry than Wittek randomly throwing the ball up for grabs or being a zero threat on his feet. And if someone is going to throw interceptions, I rather it be one of the young guys because at least those INTs will be learning experiences that they can apply beyond this season.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Should Max Wittek continue to be the starting QB?

Post by UnBiasFan »

I don't know about this.

I am ok with Wittek still at QB. I would just change the play calling to "school yard" where Wittek tells people where to go during the huddle. "Everybody go out" is a great play. I have seen Brady do it. Anything that takes the coaches out of the process might help. Can't get worse.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I don't think Ikaika givs us any bettter chance to win when we can't catch the ball or we fumble it away.
ImageImage

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

I want to see Beau Riley get some snaps. I've seen the guy throw in practice and he has potential...I know it's only practice but it doesn't hurt to try something different

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Max Wittek had his chances. He can lob the ball on short passes. He cannot get away from the pass rush and maybe its because of his knee injury. Ikaika, however can elude the pass rush most of the time but he seems to be more of a "me" type person and should realize that its a team game. The whole team is is sort of a disarray because of the poor coaching. There seems to be factions and cliches on the team that should have been eliminated before the first game.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Don't matter who plays QB now if the receivers can't make plays and the O-line can't pass protect consistently.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I think that the play calling is just not right for someone of Wittek's abilities and lack of mobility. The plays always seem to have him holding the ball a long time because he's looking down the field for deep throws. Mix in shorter patterns including more screen passes to go with the deep balls to keep the defenses honest and get rid of the ball faster with the shorter routes. But then again, it doesn't help when the receivers continually drop balls.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

EITSwarrior wrote:Don't matter who plays QB now if the receivers can't make plays and the O-line can't pass protect consistently.
Agree. Maybe the interim HC is the problem. OL don't open up much holes for the backs either. If the passing game wasn't there, there is no running game either, for years, no?

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

After re-watching that painful beat down Hawaii got from Air Force. The Hawaii Offense needs some Preparation H ointment after that okole whipping they took! The Hawaii Defense needs some ice packs from the beating they took because of the Hawaii offense… well… being the Norm Chow inept Hawaii Offense. The Hawaii Defense should be pissed off at the Hawaii Offense, especially the WR’s not catching passes hitting them in the hands and fumbles galore! Wittek did throw some nice passes and the WR’s letting down the offense once again.

I know Chris Naole is not exactly in a position to hire a new WR coach but he has to find a way to get the WR’s better coaching or the rest this season is going to rely on the feet of Ikaika Woolsey, Mevin Davis and Paul Harris. Or the rest of the season will be the same as with the Offense being inept and the Defense staying on the field pretty much the whole game. Hopefully, Naole can get the WR’s play cleaned up somehow and maybe let Offensive Coordinator Don Bailey call the plays on offense with less input. Let the experinced coaches DC Tom Mason and OC Don Bailey game plan and call the plays.

Lets be clear, everyone is still auditioning to keep there jobs at Hawaii or look good to find jobs next season somewhere else. So finishing strong will be paramount for the all the coaches on staff. But most important finishing the season strong will bring back the Hawaii fans to Aloha Stadium to support the Hawaii Football players that play their okoles off.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Max Wittek visted Texas 3 times. Visited Hawaii only once.

Texas had "undisclosed reasons" for not taking Wittek. Did they see something Hawaii didn't? Chow just took him cause....USC so much be a gem.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote:Max Wittek visted Texas 3 times. Visited Hawaii only once.

Texas had "undisclosed reasons" for not taking Wittek. Did they see something Hawaii didn't? Chow just took him cause....USC so much be a gem.
I'm pretty sure Texas didn't take him cause Max didn't graduate on time in order to transfer and play immediately.