Back at Home, Hawai'i Football Looks to Regroup Against Air Force on Military Day

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Back at Home, Hawai'i Football Looks to Regroup Against Air Force on Military Day

Post by Scott »

HONOLULU – The University of Hawai'i Rainbow Warrior football team returns to the friendly confines of Aloha Stadium after two tough weeks on the mainland. UH is set to face-off with Air Force in a Military Day matchup on Hawaiian Airlines Field, taking on the Falcons before a national television audience on CBS Sports Network.

The 20th in a series that dates back to 1966 and revives an old Western Athletic Conference rivalry. The Falcons hold a 12-6-1 advantage in the series, and a slight 6-5-1 lead in Honolulu.

Game #9
Who: Hawai'i (2-6, 0-4 MW) vs Air Force (4-3, 3-1 MW)
When: Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015
Time: 4:30 p.m. HT
Where: Hawaiian Airlines Field at Aloha Stadium (50,000)
Television: Nationally televised on CBS Sports Network, channel 247 and 1247 (HD) on Oceanic Time Warner Cable and Hawaiian Telcom Digital channel 83 and 1083 (HD), with Rich Waltz (play-by-play), Adam Archuleta (analyst) and Cassie Gallo (sideline) on the call.
Radio: ESPN 1420 AM will carry the game live with Bobby Curran (play-by-play) and John Veneri (analyst). Chris Hart and Gary Dickman host the "Countdown To Kickoff" beginning at 2:30 p.m. HT, and also the halftime show. Neighbor islands can listen live on KNUI on Maui, KHLO in Hilo, KKON in Kona, KTOH on Kaua'i, and KNWJ in Pago Pago, American Samoa. In addition, the game is available on satellite radio on XM 203 and Sirius 93.
Steaming Video: None
Audio Webcast: Live audio streaming on www.espn1420am.com
Live Stats: Live in-game stats are available at HawaiiAthletics.com
Series Information: 20th meeting. AFA leads 12-6-1 and won the last meeting in Colorado Springs in 2012, 21-7.

Military Ticket Specials

Active, DOD civilians, reservists, and retired members of the military will receive 50 percent off select adult tickets (maximum of eight) to Saturday’s game versus Air Force on Military Night. A valid military identification card is required when purchasing tickets at the Stan Sheriff Center Box Office in advance or at the Aloha Stadium Box Office in advance or on game day. Tickets are in special sections and supplies are limited.

Game Storylines: The University of Hawai‘i Rainbow Warrior football team will continue an old rivalry this week in the 20th meeting, facing Air Force at Aloha Stadium for the 13th time… Former WAC foes, the teams are playing for only the third time since 1997…The winner of the game will take the Kuter Trophy back to their respective campus. The programs have played for the trophy since 1980…This is the fifth game this season for UH on national television. UH has a 19-62-2 record and 14-36-2 mark at Aloha Stadium on national TV. This is the fourth installment of the Air Force series to appear on national TV…Hawai‘i program record sits at 536-431-25 (.553), 448-274-22 (.636) at home…Last week at Nevada, Max Wittek passed for 291 yards with 27 completions and two (2) passing touchdowns…Last week as well, freshman receiver Devan Stubblefield had 91 receiving and two (2) touchdowns—the first receiver to catch two scores in one game this year…Over the past two games, freshman receiver Dylan Collie has caught 14 passes for 166 yards receiving…The Rainbow Warriors need to win the next five (5) games to reach a winning season, a loss would move UH to its fifth consecutive non-winning season.

Series in Brief: UH will continue an old rivalry this week in its 20th incarnation, meeting Air Force at Aloha Stadium for the 13th time.

Former Western Athletic Conference foes, the Rainbow Warriors and Falcons meet for only the second time since 2001. The winner of the game will be awarded the Kuter Trophy, a tradition that started in 1980 when both teams were members of the WAC. Air Force currently holds the trophy, winning the last meeting in 2012 in Colorado Springs, 21-7.

The series began in 1966 in Colorado with AFA blanking UH 54-0. The Warriors have won four of the last seven meetings and the teams have split the last two outings with the win going to the home squad.

From 1985-97 UH played Air Force each season, but since 1997 this will only be the third time the two teams have played.

The last time the two teams faced each other in 2012 Air Force did not attempt a pass and finished the game with zero passing yards, both UH opponent lows during the modern era.

Hometown Connection
Air Force junior defensive back Brayden Hill is from Honolulu. A 2012 graduate of Punahou School, he played football alongside current UH running back Steven Lakalaka.

Rocky Mountain High
A pair of Rainbow Warriors are familiar with AFA’s territory, as offensive linemen Ben Clarke and Brenden Urban both hail from Littleton, Colo., just over 50 miles north of the Academy’s location north of Colorado Springs.

It Starts With One
The Rainbow Warriors open with a 2-6 record for the second straight year under Norm Chow, and the third time in the last 20 years.

With a winning season on the line, UH must move one win at a time, to edge closer to .500. UH last opened 3-6 in 2009, when Greg McMackin’s squad went 6-7 after winning 4-of-5 final games. Before that, it occurred in 2005 and 1997 in the past 20 years. UH has been 2-7 after nine games in 1996, 2000 and most recently in 2014.

Hawaii on National Television

Now in their fifth and final regular season appearance on national television, UH faces Air Force on CBS Sports Network, playing on the network for the second time this season.

This is the fourth installment of the Air Force series to appear on national television, previously on ESPN Networks 1987, ‘89 and 2012.

UH has made 83 all-time appearances on national television and owns a 19-62-2 record and 14-36-2 mark at Aloha Stadium. UH snapped a 19-game national TV losing streak with the season-opening win over Colorado on CBS Sports Network.

Hawaii Versus the Academies

UH holds an 11-13-1 all-time record against the military academies: 6-12-1 vs. Air Force, 3-0 vs. Army, and 2-1 vs. Navy. The Warriors have won six of their last seven games against the academies dating back to 1999, including a road victory at Army in 2010.

Battle for the Kuter Trophy

The Kuter Trophy (pronounced COO-ter) is named for the late General Laurence S. Kuter, who was the first head of the Pacific Air Forces Command in 1957. It is a striking tribute to the friendship between the schools and to the cooperation between the people of Hawai‘i and the Air Force. It was conceived by UH, sponsored by the Pacific Air Command, and designed by the Air Force Academy.

The Kuter Trophy was presented to the winner of the annual game from 1980-97 when both teams were members of the Western Athletic Conference. Air Force left the conference in 1998 and the rivalry was later renewed in 2001 and 2012, the last meeting between the teams. AFA currently holds the trophy after winning in 2012, 21-7.

Michael Stambaugh
Assistant Media Relations Director
University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
Athletics Department
1337 Lower Campus Rd., Rm. 114
Honolulu, HI 9682
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Back at Home, Hawai'i Football Looks to Regroup Against Air Force on Military Day

Post by My3Cats »

Go Warriors! Finish out the season strong!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Back at Home, Hawai'i Football Looks to Regroup Against Air Force on Military Day

Post by My3Cats »

Well as far as my one attempt to be a cheerleader for the team, so much for that.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.