Is UH slowly getting rid of the H logo

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Is UH slowly getting rid of the H logo

Post by BigWave96744 »

Players, coaches, admin, etc seem to be wearing Retro rainbow polos, tee shirts, hats, etc.

Some times Coach Chow just wears generic under Armour wears with no UH logo.

I still think the H is a unique logo and shouldn't be replaced.

How you figgah?
The UH Wahine vball team jerseys has more Poly Swag than the football team.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Is UH slowly getting rid of the H logo

Post by J-Rod »

I'm not sure, not connected enough (or at all lol) to know...but I found the investment in a road "retro" uniform to speak volumes. Who does that? Usually when a retro look is busted out, it's at home for the alumni and only happens occasionally, if not only once. It seems like we wear the Rainbow gear 50% of the time in the Chow era, and that number might go up with the retro road uni available.

Obviously hard to have any facts in a conversation like this, but it certainly leaves you wondering what's up.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I see what you mean. UH went all in with the rainbow after Ben Jay made that fateful call in the name of branding and marketing. Personally, I prefer the H over the rainbow. High schools on the mainland have copied the H logo but no college or high school copied the rainbow as far as I know. If other schools (elementary schools and preschools don't count) won't adopt it then that will meet the goal of keeping the UH branding unique. LOL.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

This week is homecoming so expect the green retro to be used

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I prefer the old menehune Rainbow logo if that's the direction the school goes in. Or hell, make a new logo that emphasizes both the rainbow (state symbol) and ancient Hawaiian warrior.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

J-Rod wrote:I prefer the old menehune Rainbow logo if that's the direction the school goes in. Or hell, make a new logo that emphasizes both the rainbow (state symbol) and ancient Hawaiian warrior.
Thats my favorite logo too.
ImageImage

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Ditto
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Duster wrote:I see what you mean. UH went all in with the rainbow after Ben Jay made that fateful call in the name of branding and marketing. Personally, I prefer the H over the rainbow. High schools on the mainland have copied the H logo but no college or high school copied the rainbow as far as I know. If other schools (elementary schools and preschools don't count) won't adopt it then that will meet the goal of keeping the UH branding unique. LOL.
It wasn't Jay who made that call. Remember he wanted just Warrior and Wahine. Only after he announced that did all the fuss from what I assume were influential program backers who wanted rainbows did he go back to it. I honestly didn't care what teams called themselves before that announcement was made, but after the rainbow name was standardized again, I hate it. It's just backwards marketing. After over a decade of the athletic department trying to rebrand themselves for what I believed and still believe is for the better, they just crapped all over it.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

BW, I just looked at the new arrivals on the H-Zone website. Looks like a lot of H logo stuff without the rainbow symbol or word.

http://h-zoneonline.com/new-arrivals.html

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Duster wrote:BW, I just looked at the new arrivals on the H-Zone website. Looks like a lot of H logo stuff without the rainbow symbol or word.

http://h-zoneonline.com/new-arrivals.html
Complete with the new SMU tank top
http://h-zoneonline.com/new-arrivals/ta ... 14890.html

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I think the "H" logo makes the throwback rainbow look cool because the rainbow is a nod to the past and people like to show that they are connected to that. if the rainbow logo were our regular logo and not our throwback logo, it wouldn't be as cool... if that makes any sense.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

The rainbow logo is just bad 60's and 70's style graphics. Much of the professional football franchises had similar logos that have vanished. Only the really vintage stuff has survived. I don't know what UH supporters or admin's are thinking of when they try to perpetuate this bad taste. The H logo is awesome.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The name, color, uniforms all should not matter, even if we have our preferences.

Oregon Ducks? Who want to be a Duck? That's a joke right there. A eat roast duck. They must have a hard time recruiting too. And that green does not scare anyone.

How about Beavers?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote:The name, color, uniforms all should not matter, even if we have our preferences.

Oregon Ducks? Who want to be a Duck? That's a joke right there. A eat roast duck. They must have a hard time recruiting too. And that green does not scare anyone.

How about Beavers?
Of course it's all about the school, facilities and the programs, not the uniform or nickname. Oregon has the kala and can afford to be top quality. OSU has less kala and is mediocre in the PAC 12. Hawaii has no kala and is a bottom feeder in a weak conference.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

My3Cats wrote:
cabanalane wrote:The name, color, uniforms all should not matter, even if we have our preferences.

How about Beavers?
Of course it's all about the school, facilities and the programs, not the uniform or nickname. Oregon has the kala and can afford to be top quality. OSU has less kala and is mediocre in the PAC 12. Hawaii has no kala and is a bottom feeder in a weak conference.
What was Oregon before they changed their logo and therefore it's brand identity? Oregon was in terms of football, almost always in the middle of the pack or lower of the PAC-10 with some good years now and then of contending for conference title. Kinda like how Hawaii was. After the logo change, they're constantly in a bowl game, contending for the conference title, etc. It wasn't just a change of logo, it was a change of culture. It was for the better cause the school, the fans, they bought into it. Yes, Oregon has the facilities and the money, but all that came after they changed its brand identity.