****OFFICIAL HAWAII VS. OHIO STATE GAME THREAD****

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: ****OFFICIAL HAWAII VS. OHIO STATE GAME THREAD****

Post by Grinch »

I'm not worried about our offense based on this game. I maybe wrong, but I'm guessing the O's game plan was not the normal up tempo, more wide open one we'll see as UH tried to shorten the game. And, I doubt we'll see a better secondary this season.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Sorry, double post

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

The one thing that really stood out to me was that goal line stop when Ohio state had it 1st and goal at the 6 yard line and OHIO STATE the same Ohio state that put up 500 plus yards against the BEST teams in the country.... couldn't punch it in. I know the bows defense will be overlooked by the national media but give credit where credit is due.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Grinch wrote:I'm not worried about our offense based on this game. I maybe wrong, but I'm guessing the O's game plan was not the normal up tempo, more wide open one we'll see as UH tried to shorten the game. And, I doubt we'll see a better secondary this season.
Wisconsin.. Boise.. those two may have better defenses than Ohio State.

But looking to next week only... what should we expect as an acceptable completion rate against the likes of UC Davis?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

We missed too many open receivers and had too many drops.
ImageImage

BigIslandHank

Post by BigIslandHank »

madeinhawaii wrote:
Grinch wrote:I'm not worried about our offense based on this game. I maybe wrong, but I'm guessing the O's game plan was not the normal up tempo, more wide open one we'll see as UH tried to shorten the game. And, I doubt we'll see a better secondary this season.

But looking to next week only... what should we expect as an acceptable completion rate against the likes of UC Davis?
UC Davis has given up an average of over 6 yards a carry per rush for it's first two-games (including a loss at home against S. Dakota). We may be better off just running the ball with Harris and Davis. Nothing cute or fancy ...just bloody their nose and wear them down. Unlike Ohio State ... we should be able to control the line of scrimmage.

And as far as Wisconsin and Boise having a better Defense than the Buckeye's? :roll:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

BigIslandHank wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:

UC Davis has given up an average of over 6 yards a carry per rush for it's first two-games (including a loss at home against S. Dakota). We may be better off just running the ball with Harris and Davis. Nothing cute or fancy ...just bloody their nose and wear them down. Unlike Ohio State ... we should be able to control the line of scrimmage.

And as far as Wisconsin and Boise having a better Defense than the Buckeye's? :roll:
I believe, last season Wisconsin's defense was ranked higher overall. Boise's defense is always up there and considered the MOST disruptive.
Insofar as UC Davis, since we now have Melvin Davis and Paul Harris our run game should be fine.. if Diocemy St Juste is healthy enough, then maybe run him a few times.. but I think we need a lot more tweaking in the passing and pass route running and UC Davis is the perfect game to work on that part of the offense.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

BigIslandHank

Post by BigIslandHank »

December 7 , 2014 Ohio State 59 Wisconsin 0.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Any LOSS is a bummer... particularly with this loss ~ where there was such GREAT EFFORT by the D.. I for one was VERY impressed with the defensive effort & results. I fully expected the O to struggle against OSUs D ~ way too many beasts, experience, and talent on that side of the ball. They didn't even have to blitz a lot, the pressure from their front four ~ and the frightening good blanket coverage by their secondary was enough to disrupt U.H.'s passing attack. I do think given enough time & PATIENCE, Wittek and the receivers WILL produce (hopefully sooner than later), and the running game WILL open up. I think it's been said by a number of folk here that it WILL BE very difficult to gauge just how good this offense will be by the first few games this season... the allowed learning curve is just that steep. The REAL good news is: from what I can see, there wasn't any significant LOSS on the team from INJURIES; nothing 'season-ending' for any of the starters and backups.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

I thought Hawaii Defense played well throughout the entire game. They were tired in the 4th quarter which Is why the score became more lob sided but it would have been a lot worst if we had the 2013 defense...as for the offense...don't judge yet. Wittick is no Colt Brennan but he aint no Ikaika Woolsey so the fans need to give him a few more games to get into the groove again.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

BigIslandHank wrote:UC Davis has given up an average of over 6 yards a carry per rush for it's first two-games (including a loss at home against S. Dakota). We may be better off just running the ball with Harris and Davis. Nothing cute or fancy ...just bloody their nose and wear them down. Unlike Ohio State ... we should be able to control the line of scrimmage.
We need to use the UC Davis game to get the offense on track, not just run the ball so we can get a win.

Irse

Post by Irse »

poidog wrote:
BigIslandHank wrote:UC Davis has given up an average of over 6 yards a carry per rush for it's first two-games (including a loss at home against S. Dakota). We may be better off just running the ball with Harris and Davis. Nothing cute or fancy ...just bloody their nose and wear them down. Unlike Ohio State ... we should be able to control the line of scrimmage.
We need to use the UC Davis game to get the offense on track, not just run the ball so we can get a win.
I agree. Get a lead then start passing more.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

What got my head scratching was why the hell did they run Pareese Joas up the middle on his only two running plays? He's a little guy with speed. All of his runs last year were around the perimeter and he got chunks of yardage. Was that Bailey or Chow calling those plays? :hmm:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote:What got my head scratching was why the hell did they run Pareese Joas up the middle on his only two running plays? He's a little guy with speed. All of his runs last year were around the perimeter and he got chunks of yardage. Was that Bailey or Chow calling those plays? :hmm:
Because OSU has more speed than he does. Plus they were trying to run out the clock.
ImageImage

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I haven't re-watched the game but I thought our Oline did ok. OSU's Dline benefitted from their secondary. Our receivers couldn't get separation, and when they did dropped balls. Things will get better .