Enjoyed the game, but there are big issues. Your opinion?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Enjoyed the game, but there are big issues. Your opinion?

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I stayed up late on workday to watch our Warriors play. Here is my view of the 2015 team, the game and the upcoming schedule.

There was a different feel to the team’s confidence and presences. I am a true believer that people who are confident are more likely to be successful. The team played physical and you could see some fatigue. However, the always responded when they looked lethargic. Looks like the conditioning program and coaching will be paying dividends.

Offense:
> The new OC showed some glimpses of triggering plays at the right time, but at some points got to conservative. I wonder how much NC influenced those sequences of gap/blast runs between the tackles with a 190 lbs RB?
>I did not see too much variation from last year’s WR routes, which is scary. I would like to see more skinny posts, curls, WR screens and reverses. I’ll chalk it up to first game and not wanting to show their entire hand. I was also surprised that Ewaliko had 0 touches, but was the same guy on special teams “hawking down” the runners. Legit sped needs to be used in the run game and plays like Pedroza’s WR pass option. If he had a chance with that play, it’s probably a TD instead of a nice gain.
>UH’s OL played solid and looks improved. Max W is legit and needs time to adjust to playing real games and will likely improve for the season. He definitely has a tendency to throw the ball high, which can be an issue with exposing WRs to big hits and interceptions on deflects/overthrows. WRs made plays when needed. Kemp is a legit big play guy. I would like to see more fades and posts, so he can use his 6'4 frame and jumping ability. A few of the drops were caused by poor habits - catching the ball with their body.

Defense:
>The DC implemented a scheme that can be successful with the available talent. Many DL attacks, varied blitzes with man/2 deep zones were highly successful.
>The pressure caused by the DL line shifts, twists and the ability to beat the 1X1’s was impressive for a undersized DL. The DL play was a great surprise as well as the OLB play , especially their contain. On the other hand, MLB play can definitely improve as there were many missed assignments, not filling gaps and readying simple run plays.
>Tulimasealii made some incredible plays and is an intriguing guy. They absolutely need to find ways to have him in isolation situations, so he can use his incredible first step quickness. L Shawley was ripping it up too. Tavai and Gener were solid an LB. Nick N continues to impress. This guy is a true Soph. Strong Safety play could be improved; I think T Henderson needs to play more since he’s more physical. When the Buff’s started running straight at UH, they should have had the SS help and Nickel.

Special teams:
>There were some dynamic plays – great kicking and a blocked kick. However, they need to get Pedroza out as a returner. He did not look confident and almost muffed at least 2 returns before being bailed out with that penalty when he fumbled. Inserting Ewaliko is a better option because of the better speed and big play abilities. Our punter made some big kicks and FGs and solidified a huge potential drop off with the lost of the kicking guru – Scott H.

I think UH has a good chance to have a winning season 7-6 if they continue to improve and the injuryies are limited. IMUA WARRIORS!
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: Enjoyed the game, but there are big issues. Your opinion?

Post by xer 21 »

We have issues, but really, are they worse than last year's issues? i dunno.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

O-line needs work still. Limits what the offense can do when the QB has little time. Forced the offense to go with quick hitches, slants and screens. RBs need to pass block better.

D-line, I just hope they can hold up.

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

What we need to do is CAPITALIZE on this. We cannot let this be the highlight of our season. There are many winnable games at home and even on the road (UNM).

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Oline only gave up 1 sack. That's pretty good against a Pac 12 team.
Defense had 4 sacks against Colorado.. pretty good against a Pac 12 team.
Wittek threw only one bad interception which was right at the defender just above his head so that he only had to jump up to get it. The other was a ball that deflected out of Moleni's hands into the defender's.
Awesome punt block by the Defense.
Defense kept Spruce, arguable one of the Pac 12's best receiver, to under 70 yards for the night.
Defense kept Adkins, Colorado's best RB to under 100 yards
Sefo, their QB was their leading rusher with almost 1/2 of their total rushing yards... that says that the Defense disrupted their plays more often than not.
Pass completion ratio is still a mediocre 50%.
Thank goodness for a defense that produced three turnovers.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Defense and Special Teams kept UH in the game with plenty of chances for the Offense. Offense sputtered too often and looked like the Chowball of the last three seasons most of the game. Can't be that Bailey is that conservative.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

My3Cats wrote:Defense and Special Teams kept UH in the game with plenty of chances for the Offense. Offense sputtered too often and looked like the Chowball of the last three seasons most of the game. Can't be that Bailey is that conservative.
Especially in the second half.. it was deja vue all over again...

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

Many have brought this up, but worried about Dline depth going into the tough games, hated to see Faalologo go down. Happy for the win.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

The thing I noticed from last nights game was the impact of having experienced Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. Except for some early game/season miscues, the boys were put/coached to be in position to make plays on “O” and “D” for a change. Jordan Wynn was just too inexperienced to handle being OC at the FBS level. Max Wittek does make faster decisions and throws a beautiful accurate ball. Last season Woolsey did hold onto the ball too long and his accuracy was hit to miss.

Paul Harris looked really good running the ball, Nick Nelson was clutch on coverage, Dejon Allen smart play saved UH from giving up 2 points for a safety. There is so much good things to say about all the Hawaii Football players about last nights game. They played fast and strong most of the game. Just got to clean up the miscues. If this team can stay relatively healthy this could possibly be a bowl game season.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

WarriorTyme wrote:The thing I noticed from last nights game was the impact of having experienced Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. Except for some early game/season miscues, the boys were put/coached to be in position to make plays on “O” and “D” for a change. Jordan Wynn was just too inexperienced to handle being OC at the FBS level. Max Wittek does make faster decisions and throws a beautiful accurate ball. Last season Woolsey did hold onto the ball too long and his accuracy was hit to miss.

Paul Harris looked really good running the ball, Nick Nelson was clutch on coverage, Dejon Allen smart play saved UH from giving up 2 points for a safety. There is so much good things to say about all the Hawaii Football players about last nights game. They played fast and strong most of the game. Just got to clean up the miscues. If this team can stay relatively healthy this could possibly be a bowl game season.
Last night's 50% completion record wasn't better than Woolsey's. Last night's game was a product of good Defense and Special team plays. They got UH the ball back in excellent field position, caused sudden momentum changes that gave UH opportunities while putting Colorado on the back of their heels. Total yard production was rather mediocre with 100 yards rushing and 202 yards passing. UH only had 14 first downs... Colorado 24.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

There are issues but they are not big.

If Wittek wasn't the QB two of the touchdowns would not have happened. He threw high to put the ball where only our receivers could catch it and he was on the money. The first TD pass was a touch pass to Pedroza. They practiced that all season. Watch the tape on the 79 yarder. He was throwing the ball before Kemp made his move. And the pass was a little high but it hit Kemp in stride. During practices I posted that Wittek does hit his receivers in stride and you will see more YAC. You get taller receivers like Kemp at 6'4 and Pedroza at 6'2 so they screen out smaller defenders on the short patterns and they cannot get to the high passes. The routes are the same as last year. The difference is we now have a QB that makes decisions, can throw with touch and puts the ball where a receiver can make a play on the ball. We did drop some balls. We cannot do that. One led to an INT and a TD and the other killed a drive that would have been inside the redzone. That cost us a possible 14 point swing. Wittek also hung in the pocket. And when he has to run he can. Preventing the saftey was just brute strength and effort. I've seen him take off in practices and he can move. He also took some hits and fought it off.

OL played ok against a Pac12 D which is great. The freshman center did ok, no bad snaps. They will only get better. There were also less sacks because Wittek made decisions and got rid of the ball. The procedure penalties hurt us but it is correctable.

I liked Paul Harris a lot. I hope Diocemy recovers quickly. He and Paul add a different dimension to our running game. They

I expected more from our tight ends. We started on a positive note but then we had two drops. One could have been a TD. We have to make those catches.

DBs had a very good game. This is the strongest group at all five positions that I have seen in a long time. Their QB had to run a lot because of the coverage. And Colorado didn't attempt many long balls at all. This meant that the CBs were doing a decent job on man coverage and the safties could sit back in coverage.

The D did get gassed during in the 2Q when they were on the field on a TD possession then we had a two play touchdown drive and Colorado was driving the ball again. The D did hold Colorado scoreless in Q1 and only gave up two field goals in the 2H. And they held the team to 20 pts. If you ask me that was good D and Colorado was expected to move the ball. They did show a lot more pressure on the QB then we've had in a long time. Penitito Faalologo impressed me with his hustle, spirit and leadership during the fall. You just don't know what they got till the lights go on. He did a great job when he was in there. I think he was cramping, Deph still could be a problem but Luke, Kennedy and Gifford also had a good game. Williams did a great job of stripping the ball from the RB when they were driving to score,

In general the special teams had a good game. Both kickers played well.

Very good win against a Pac12 team. Room for improvement. There is upside. We have to stay healthy. Next week will be a big challenge.

GO WARRIORS!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

madeinhawaii wrote:
WarriorTyme wrote:The thing I noticed from last nights game was the impact of having experienced Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. Except for some early game/season miscues, the boys were put/coached to be in position to make plays on “O” and “D” for a change. Jordan Wynn was just too inexperienced to handle being OC at the FBS level. Max Wittek does make faster decisions and throws a beautiful accurate ball. Last season Woolsey did hold onto the ball too long and his accuracy was hit to miss.

Last night's 50% completion record wasn't better than Woolsey's. Last night's game was a product of good Defense and Special team plays. They got UH the ball back in excellent field position, caused sudden momentum changes that gave UH opportunities while putting Colorado on the back of their heels. Total yard production was rather mediocre with 100 yards rushing and 202 yards passing. UH only had 14 first downs... Colorado 24.
The difference is that Wittek made passes that Woolsey would never have made last year. And that was the difference between winning and losing games last year.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

There were also 6 crucial drops and two passes that Wittek threw away to avoid sacks. You can do the math on the completion percentage.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

TheDuke wrote:There were also 6 crucial drops and two passes that Wittek threw away to avoid sacks. You can do the math on the completion percentage.
I am XBOX Madden expert :lol:. I normally play with Steelers as my team.

We need consistency from the TE position. And I like Paul Harris as our go to guy out of the backfield.

Wittek will be able to read and run the field like Big Ben if everybody does their jobs (catch the balls and block).

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

TheDuke wrote:There were also 6 crucial drops and two passes that Wittek threw away to avoid sacks. You can do the math on the completion percentage.
I didn't say it was all on Wittek. I just said 50% wasn't any better than Woolsey. Our receivers still drop way too many catchable balls. But, it's just the first game...