wishbone offense

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Re: wishbone offense

Post by kalua pig »

navy is ranked and won on the road again.
go kalua pig wishbone offense.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

Look, UH can more easily recruit for the Wish-Bone or Spread like Kenny N features. They win are competitive year after year. Wagner's teams were competitive and won the Holiday Bowl against Illinois back in the day. Attendance was probably near 40K per game.

It's delusional to keep thinking you can recruit players like Oregon, TCU, Baylor and so forth. As for JJ, it's even harder to recruit for his style and he wasn't even a good recruiter.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

oldhawaiiguy wrote:Look, UH can more easily recruit for the Wish-Bone or Spread like Kenny N features. They win are competitive year after year. Wagner's teams were competitive and won the Holiday Bowl against Illinois back in the day. Attendance was probably near 40K per game.

It's delusional to keep thinking you can recruit players like Oregon, TCU, Baylor and so forth. As for JJ, it's even harder to recruit for his style and he wasn't even a good recruiter.
Under Wag's 9 years, we had 4 winning seasons, 4 losing seasons and one 6-6
Under JJ's 9 years, we had 7 winning seasons, 2 losing seasons.

Kenny has done a great job at Navy, just as no guarantee JJ will succeed again, no guarantee that Ivin will be able to match Kenny's record. A big jump from being a coordinator to being a HC. Most successful coordinators fail at being a successful HC.
ImageImage

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

oldhawaiiguy wrote:Look, UH can more easily recruit for the Wish-Bone or Spread like Kenny N features. They win are competitive year after year. Wagner's teams were competitive and won the Holiday Bowl against Illinois back in the day. Attendance was probably near 40K per game.

+1.

yakwarrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yakwarrior »

Kalua, Why would you think it's harder to recruit for JJ. than Baylor, Oregon etc. For a JJ. team you need the same quality qb, receivers, running backs and ol. as any other spread offense except maybe the spread option where you need a tough running qb. Boy have we lost a lot of running qbs. this year both at the d1 level and the pro level. This is the reason you don't see all pro teams run the spread option as a designed play, although were seeing more lately. When pro teams lose there qb they sometimes can't pickup the slack. It seems a bit easer for some d1 teams.

Granted HU will not get many 4 or 5 rated players so HU next coach will have to be able to look at 2 and 3 rated players and even some overlooked unrated players and tell if they can be coached up or if they already peeked. Tough task, takes an experienced coach.

If the new is coach is JJ. he will have to combine the air raid spread with the run and shoot spread witch is what WSU, both OKs, both Miss. the Cal. bears and others do and maybe throw in a diamond formation witch gives all kind if read option for the qb like what the Sooners used to beat the Cowboys. They both us the air raid spread.

Enough for now. Have a good night!

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

yakwarrior wrote:Kalua, Why would you think it's harder to recruit for JJ. than Baylor, Oregon etc. For a JJ. team you need the same quality qb, receivers, running backs and ol. as any other spread offense except maybe the spread option where you need a tough running qb. Boy have we lost a lot of running qbs. this year both at the d1 level and the pro level. This is the reason you don't see all pro teams run the spread option as a designed play, although were seeing more lately. When pro teams lose there qb they sometimes can't pickup the slack. It seems a bit easer for some d1 teams.

Granted HU will not get many 4 or 5 rated players so HU next coach will have to be able to look at 2 and 3 rated players and even some overlooked unrated players and tell if they can be coached up or if they already peeked. Tough task, takes an experienced coach.

If the new is coach is JJ. he will have to combine the air raid spread with the run and shoot spread witch is what WSU, both OKs, both Miss. the Cal. bears and others do and maybe throw in a diamond formation witch gives all kind if read option for the qb like what the Sooners used to beat the Cowboys. They both us the air raid spread.

Enough for now. Have a good night!
i love jj.if he gets hired,i will be a happy hawaii fan.there are other options out there(no pun intended).there are a lot of good coaches out there with kalua pig wishbone bloodline.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

kalua pig wrote:
My3Cats wrote:
kalua pig wrote:air force will show the hawaii fans how to execute the kalua pig wishbone saturday.enjoy.
If the Warrior defense doesn't play with discipline throughout the entire game, I'm afraid that you will be proven correct and that it will be a long night for Warrior fans. One mistake, one player out of system or position and its off to the races for Air Force.
kenny could run that offense to perfection in hawaii.
I think Kenny could build a workable oline with smaller local players. His center at Navy is Blaze Ryder, 5'11" , 277 lbs, from Kamehameha. Navy also has a small dline kind of like what UH has right now. They seem to know how to make it work. BobWagner brought his spread offense because he felt he could recruit local talent and make it work. He knew that the talent here was on the small size but felt he could use their explosiveness on the oline.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Thing is, if a coach brings the triple option or something similar, the recruiting priority should not be on offense, it should be on defense. Likewise, you need a good defensive coordinator to ruin it. Cause with the triple option, if you fall behind in the game, let's say two TDs or more, without a good defense to stop the opposing offense, you aren't getting back into the game.

That's what Tomey and Wagner had. They had good defenses that could hold offenses and get the ball back. But I will also say this. They did it in a different era of football than what is played today. Back then, a lot of teams ran wishbone, pro-style. You didn't need speed and quickness like you need now with all the spread offenses. Today speed and quickness is harder to recruit for and harder to teach than strength, which was valued more then.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

EITSwarrior wrote:Thing is, if a coach brings the triple option or something similar, the recruiting priority should not be on offense, it should be on defense. Likewise, you need a good defensive coordinator to ruin it. Cause with the triple option, if you fall behind in the game, let's say two TDs or more, without a good defense to stop the opposing offense, you aren't getting back into the game.

That's what Tomey and Wagner had. They had good defenses that could hold offenses and get the ball back. But I will also say this. They did it in a different era of football than what is played today. Back then, a lot of teams ran wishbone, pro-style. You didn't need speed and quickness like you need now with all the spread offenses. Today speed and quickness is harder to recruit for and harder to teach than strength, which was valued more then.
With the right quarterback you can pass in an option offense. Wags did it with Garret Gabriel. Air Force does it with their qb. The big problem is blocking. You need players to block to be successful. Option teams wide receivers need to block. Even In JJ's offense wide receivers had to block. That is how they got a lot of their rac. JJ needed a good DC to get his offense going. His offense did stall in the past and usually started off slow the beginning of the season, especially with a new qb. JJ did say that it could take a new qb a season before the light came on in his head. A new coach coming will have to be able to sell what he wants to do to the current players. He needs to let go the ones who do not. He will need a coaching staff who will be around a while. Successful coaches usually have assistants that stick with him when they take a job. They also take them when they move on to other jobs.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

RedZone wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:Thing is, if a coach brings the triple option or something similar, the recruiting priority should not be on offense, it should be on defense. Likewise, you need a good defensive coordinator to ruin it. Cause with the triple option, if you fall behind in the game, let's say two TDs or more, without a good defense to stop the opposing offense, you aren't getting back into the game.

With the right quarterback you can pass in an option offense. Wags did it with Garret Gabriel. Air Force does it with their qb. The big problem is blocking. You need players to block to be successful. Option teams wide receivers need to block. Even In JJ's offense wide receivers had to block. That is how they got a lot of their rac. JJ needed a good DC to get his offense going. His offense did stall in the past and usually started off slow the beginning of the season, especially with a new qb. JJ did say that it could take a new qb a season before the light came on in his head. A new coach coming will have to be able to sell what he wants to do to the current players. He needs to let go the ones who do not. He will need a coaching staff who will be around a while. Successful coaches usually have assistants that stick with him when they take a job. They also take them when they move on to other jobs.
I understand what you're saying, but like I said, defense is the priority when you have the triple option as your offense. I don't see a problem getting an adequate running QB that can pass. I see a problem getting enough good defensive players that can defend today's offenses, at least on the islands. Hawaii is not known to put out a lot of good secondary players consistently enough. We would still have to continue recruiting on the mainland for good defensive players as far as the secondary is concerned.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

EITSwarrior wrote:
RedZone wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but like I said, defense is the priority when you have the triple option as your offense. I don't see a problem getting an adequate running QB that can pass. I see a problem getting enough good defensive players that can defend today's offenses, at least on the islands. Hawaii is not known to put out a lot of good secondary players consistently enough. We would still have to continue recruiting on the mainland for good defensive players as far as the secondary is concerned.
i don't understand the concern for the defense.norm chow killed this years defense because of his 3 and out offense.wishbone will eat more clock.we can always put a good d on the field in hawaii.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Always? When was the last time Hawaii had a killer defense?

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

EITSwarrior wrote:Always? When was the last time Hawaii had a killer defense?
i said good, not killer.lets not exaggerate.lol.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kalua pig wrote:
Either way, it's been awhile.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

EITSwarrior wrote:
kalua pig wrote:
Either way, it's been awhile.
even this years d was good.a less than 2 tds a game norm chow offense ran them into the ground.the problem is we need a offense that can keep them off the field.