wishbone offense

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: wishbone offense

Post by Manoa »

If you look at just the triple option and not the service academies, etc.( I know that is what you meant), then you find some very good football offenses that still run the triple option as the heart of their offense-- Urban Meyer's triple option he has run at Utah, Florida, and Ohio State, the Oregon triple option that Mariota excelled in, and Rich Rodriguez triple option which he has run at West Virginia, Michigan, and now Arizona. The triple option is the base play for these offenses-- they basically run the "inside zone" with the defensive end as the first read starting with the QB in the shotgun which is one of the triple options run by Navy, Air Force, etc. When Urban Meyer was asked what he was running at Ohio State, he said "inside zone triple option". The three options are give to running back or fullback, QB run, or QB roll with a running back to pitch to, but with other options involving a pass to the side the QB rolls toward or the classic bubble screen on the opposite side of the direction of the play-- the Seahawks run this too.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

Manoa wrote:If you look at just the triple option and not the service academies, etc.( I know that is what you meant), then you find some very good football offenses that still run the triple option as the heart of their offense-- Urban Meyer's triple option he has run at Utah, Florida, and Ohio State, the Oregon triple option that Mariota excelled in, and Rich Rodriguez triple option which he has run at West Virginia, Michigan, and now Arizona. The triple option is the base play for these offenses-- they basically run the "inside zone" with the defensive end as the first read starting with the QB in the shotgun which is one of the triple options run by Navy, Air Force, etc. When Urban Meyer was asked what he was running at Ohio State, he said "inside zone triple option". The three options are give to running back or fullback, QB run, or QB roll with a running back to pitch to, but with other options involving a pass to the side the QB rolls toward or the classic bubble screen on the opposite side of the direction of the play-- the Seahawks run this too.
mahalo for breaking it down.i would love to see kenny coach hawaii.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Insomuch as it would be great to have Kenny come home to coach, one has to ask... can he recruit? Service academies don't recruit like regular universities. I think there's a whole lot more shenanigans and distractions in public schools, as well.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

madeinhawaii wrote:Insomuch as it would be great to have Kenny come home to coach, one has to ask... can he recruit? Service academies don't recruit like regular universities. I think there's a whole lot more shenanigans and distractions in public schools, as well.
that's my point.hawaii and the west coast is full of undersized talent.we got two local boys on the team now that can thrive as qb in kennys offense.we wont need to compete for 6'4" qb's to save the day.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

kalua pig wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:Insomuch as it would be great to have Kenny come home to coach, one has to ask... can he recruit? Service academies don't recruit like regular universities. I think there's a whole lot more shenanigans and distractions in public schools, as well.
that's my point.hawaii and the west coast is full of undersized talent.we got two local boys on the team now that can thrive as qb in kennys offense.we wont need to compete for 6'4" qb's to save the day.
Maybe not, you still want the best that you can get. You want as many players as possible that can make it to the next level. This is critical for the survival of a midmajor program. No draft or free agents and your recruiting starts to go downhill fast. You want players who are motivated to make it to the next level. This is NOT the driving force in the Navy. It's a different breed of players.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

kalua pig wrote:that's my point.hawaii and the west coast is full of undersized talent.
yeah, but i think everyone else's point is, why should we change our entire offensive identity, for the privilege of DOWNGRADING our level of recruiting?

kalua pig wrote:we got two local boys on the team now that can thrive as qb in kennys offense.
Oh God, you're talking about Ewaliko, arent you.

with all due respect, Ewaliko isnt fit to QB ANY system at this level. he's fast in a straight line. that's it. he cant catch, cant throw, cant cut, AND he's small.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

xer 21 wrote:
kalua pig wrote:that's my point.hawaii and the west coast is full of undersized talent.
yeah, but i think everyone else's point is, why should we change our entire offensive identity, for the privilege of DOWNGRADING our level of recruiting?

kalua pig wrote:we got two local boys on the team now that can thrive as qb in kennys offense.
Oh God, you're talking about Ewaliko, arent you.

with all due respect, Ewaliko isnt fit to QB ANY system at this level. he's fast in a straight line. that's it. he cant catch, cant throw, cant cut, AND he's small.
it's all about depth cuz.we can put a decent starting team on the field now,but as soon as the injuries hit,and they will,we drop a notch.we need a offense that doesn't miss a beat with injuries.we can be deep in talent with kennys offense.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

madeinhawaii wrote:
kalua pig wrote:
Maybe not, you still want the best that you can get. You want as many players as possible that can make it to the next level. This is critical for the survival of a midmajor program. No draft or free agents and your recruiting starts to go downhill fast. You want players who are motivated to make it to the next level. This is NOT the driving force in the Navy. It's a different breed of players.
we don't need to put players in the nfl.all we need to do is win games.the recruiting will go to the players that would excel in kennys offense.like i said before,the islands and west coast is full of players that can do well in his offense.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

kalua pig wrote: we don't need to put players in the nfl.all we need to do is win games.the recruiting will go to the players that would excel in kennys offense.like i said before,the islands and west coast is full of players that can do well in his offense.
if we need to win games, i dont see how going with an offense that isnt consistently good just so we can take on all the Hawaii D2 prospects is a good plan.

Look, lets just be real. most Hawaii players are NOT D1 level, offense regardless.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

xer 21 wrote:
kalua pig wrote: we don't need to put players in the nfl.all we need to do is win games.the recruiting will go to the players that would excel in kennys offense.like i said before,the islands and west coast is full of players that can do well in his offense.
if we need to win games, i dont see how going with an offense that isnt consistently good just so we can take on all the Hawaii D2 prospects is a good plan.

Look, lets just be real. most Hawaii players are NOT D1 level, offense regardless.
Might as well play FCS instead of FBS if we don't want NFL caliber players.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

kalua pig wrote:
To be a quarterback in Kenny's system you got to be tough, be able to take hits and strong running up the middle of the defense. This why Kenny converted a fullback to quarterback at Navy. We would have to find more players like Michael Carter. We would need a quick fix to start because I don't see any quarterback on UHs roster who can run Kenny's offense. We would also need to find power running fullbacks. Without a good fullback this offense fails.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

RedZone wrote:
kalua pig wrote:
To be a quarterback in Kenny's system you got to be tough, be able to take hits and strong running up the middle of the defense. This why Kenny converted a fullback to quarterback at Navy. We would have to find more players like Michael Carter. We would need a quick fix to start because I don't see any quarterback on UHs roster who can run Kenny's offense. We would also need to find power running fullbacks. Without a good fullback this offense fails.
it's a big change for sure.sometimes change is good.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

madeinhawaii wrote:
xer 21 wrote:

Might as well play FCS instead of FBS if we don't want NFL caliber players.
fbs is better,why change?

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

xer 21 wrote:

change that purple dragon.

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Manoa »

Navy and Air Force as pretty consistently good and have beaten us a fair number of times.

But I would like to mix passing and the shotgun with the triple option to get more of a passing game.
Rice is a pretty good example. Run the triple option out of the shotgun or pistol, have a QB that can throw and run, and run in a spread formation and you have an offense like Oregon or Ohio State, but on a smaller scale. Something like the Carolina Panthers.