wishbone offense

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Re: wishbone offense

Post by kalua pig »

purple dragon man,you cant be serious cuz.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

kalua pig wrote:purple dragon man,you cant be serious cuz.
its not purple, and why dont you defend the wishbone from the depths of mediocrity its brought the service academies? or why it would be a good offense at all? or why chasing after a bunch of D2 caliber local players just to justify using it is a good idea?

it doesnt make any sense to me. i dont see any benefit to using an offense that barely benefits anyone.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

kalua pig wrote:in the last 3 years air force and navy have gone to 5 bowl games combined.add georgia tech.i would consider the consistent winning.
Teams that regularly play against AFA, Navy, and GaTech face only one triple-option team per season and don't spend more than a week scheming against it because it is not worth spending more time than that preparing for it. This gives these option teams a competitive advantage that they normally wouldn't have. Because we are in the same conference as AFA, MWC teams that play both of us would have more incentive to scheme and prepare against the option because the work would pay off twice instead of just once. OOC teams who play us early in the season would also have extra time to prep for us because they could spend some time during fall camp getting ready for the option. In short, we would not have the same competitive advantage that the AFA's and the GaTech's of the world. If we are looking for a similar competitive advantage, we would be better off doing something that no one else in the conference is doing, like when we ran the run & shoot.

Then, you have to look at Army, who hasn't had the same success as Navy in a long time. When it really comes down to it, what matters most is if you have the right players and the right teachers for the system you want to run. There aren't many FBS-level coaches who believe in the triple option offense anymore. Yeah, you want to run it but who is gonna teach it?

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

poidog wrote:
kalua pig wrote:in the last 3 years air force and navy have gone to 5 bowl games combined.add georgia tech.i would consider the consistent winning.
Teams that regularly play against AFA, Navy, and GaTech face only one triple-option team per season and don't spend more than a week scheming against it because it is not worth spending more time than that preparing for it. This gives these option teams a competitive advantage that they normally wouldn't have. Because we are in the same conference as AFA, MWC teams that play both of us would have more incentive to scheme and prepare against the option because the work would pay off twice instead of just once. OOC teams who play us early in the season would also have extra time to prep for us because they could spend some time during fall camp getting ready for the option. In short, we would not have the same competitive advantage that the AFA's and the GaTech's of the world. If we are looking for a similar competitive advantage, we would be better off doing something that no one else in the conference is doing, like when we ran the run & shoot.

Then, you have to look at Army, who hasn't had the same success as Navy in a long time. When it really comes down to it, what matters most is if you have the right players and the right teachers for the system you want to run. There aren't many FBS-level coaches who believe in the triple option offense anymore. Yeah, you want to run it but who is gonna teach it?
mahalo,makes sense.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

xer 21 wrote:
kalua pig wrote:purple dragon man,you cant be serious cuz.
its not purple, and why dont you defend the wishbone from the depths of mediocrity its brought the service academies? or why it would be a good offense at all? or why chasing after a bunch of D2 caliber local players just to justify using it is a good idea?

it doesnt make any sense to me. i dont see any benefit to using an offense that barely benefits anyone.
take your pink dragon in the kitchen and make me plate of lumpia.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

kalua pig wrote:
quikfeat wrote:The UH Offense this year will be night and day - as I stated last year from that first game against UW, we lost that game at the QB position (the next week Vernon Adams the Eastern Washington QB lights up UW for 7 passing TDs and 475 passing yds further validating my point). UH would have won at least 7 if Woolsey plays better at QB - this no knock on Woolsey as a person-he seems like a great kid however there are a lot of 1st round NFL busts at QB (even June stated on Leahey and Leahey - you can't win without a QB regarding Norm Chow last year). This year is Wittek's turn and I can't see him being as bad as Woolsey last year even if unproven but he still had starts in place of Barkley and split time against UH with Kessler.
after this season wittek is gone and it will be woolsey or someone new.i like a little consistency at qb.like in a triple option offense.
It will be Zwahlen or Reilly not to mention Mckenzie Milton even - Milton is a winner/playmaker... I want to say Ikaika can improve however I think at QB you either have it or you don't. Ikaika has the arm which hasn't been a question however all of the 1st round NFL QB's who were busts had strong arms but they don't have the necessary decision making skills to be successful like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, etc.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

CoconutKid wrote:
kalua pig wrote:
quikfeat wrote:Navy and Air Force and Army for that matter run those triple option attacks which is what Paul Johnson (Hawaii's former OC under Bob Wagner) runs at Georgia Tech (notice them in the top 25 this year and last). The academy schools have to run these kinds of offenses since they don't have the size on the OL to run the normal traditional offense. This gives a smaller team the opportunity to sort of even the playing field or at least give you a better chance to be successful against most Division 1 Schools. So these offenses are not outdated-the military academies still run them not to mention Georgia Tech and are still successful running them.
I look for Norm Chow to win at least 7 games this year however if he doesn't, Ken Niumatalolo could very well be Hawaii's next coach bringing the triple option attach back to Hawaii. But I think Norm wins at least 7 thereby saving his job.
triple option.mahalo cuz.kenny said he was ready to come home.
He has indicated in the press that he'd retire as Navy coach. And he makes WELL INTO 7 figures. No way we pay that kind of money. So unless he pulls a JJ and is willing to take significantly less...
Kenny also expressed he'd like to return to the islands and maybe coach high school football therefore I'd think he would take the paycut if the UH job came open but it has to be in the $800k to $1M range what June at $800k or Mac at $1M were making.

That being said, I still feel Norm will win at least 7 with improved QB play and if the defense can stop the run like against the Pac-12 schools last year-Norm could win more than 7 games.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

quikfeat wrote:
kalua pig wrote:
quikfeat wrote:The UH Offense this year will be night and day - as I stated last year from that first game against UW, we lost that game at the QB position (the next week Vernon Adams the Eastern Washington QB lights up UW for 7 passing TDs and 475 passing yds further validating my point). UH would have won at least 7 if Woolsey plays better at QB - this no knock on Woolsey as a person-he seems like a great kid however there are a lot of 1st round NFL busts at QB (even June stated on Leahey and Leahey - you can't win without a QB regarding Norm Chow last year). This year is Wittek's turn and I can't see him being as bad as Woolsey last year even if unproven but he still had starts in place of Barkley and split time against UH with Kessler.
after this season wittek is gone and it will be woolsey or someone new.i like a little consistency at qb.like in a triple option offense.
It will be Zwahlen or Reilly not to mention Mckenzie Milton even - Milton is a winner/playmaker... I want to say Ikaika can improve however I think at QB you either have it or you don't. Ikaika has the arm which hasn't been a question however all of the 1st round NFL QB's who were busts had strong arms but they don't have the necessary decision making skills to be successful like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, etc.
next year will feel like new qb all over again.no consistency.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

kenny made the ready to come home statement.to coach high school is coaching courtesy not to disrespect chow.the vultures are appearing.jj or kenny?

Manoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Manoa »

J-Rod wrote:
Air Force went 2-10 in 2013, Navy went 5-7 only a few years ago. That's not consistent winning. Consistent winners consider 7-5 an average season, some believe it's a poor season. Triple option programs not named Georgia Tech are decent programs, nothing more.
I don't think there are many teams that go 7-5 consistently or as an average-- Boise State is one, but others?. The triple option with a passing game can do very well also-- that is how we beat BYU back in the day.

But it remains a very effective offense-- Air Force and Navy have done about as well as we have if you adjust for Chow. We have lost to both Air Force and New Mexico since Chow got here.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

its just another option.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Manoa wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Air Force went 2-10 in 2013, Navy went 5-7 only a few years ago. That's not consistent winning. Consistent winners consider 7-5 an average season, some believe it's a poor season. Triple option programs not named Georgia Tech are decent programs, nothing more.
I don't think there are many teams that go 7-5 consistently or as an average-- Boise State is one, but others?. The triple option with a passing game can do very well also-- that is how we beat BYU back in the day.

But it remains a very effective offense-- Air Force and Navy have done about as well as we have if you adjust for Chow. We have lost to both Air Force and New Mexico since Chow got here.
that was decades ago. Defenses have long since evolved.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

just throwing it out there, the triple option and the run and shoot have very similar base sets.....wideout left and right, slots left and right, and a single back......so why not create a package that offers both?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

nostra_808 wrote:just throwing it out there, the triple option and the run and shoot have very similar base sets.....wideout left and right, slots left and right, and a single back......so why not create a package that offers both?
Bob Wagners offense ran by Paul Johnson was an option with Abacks which actually used some run and shoot in its passing attack. So it has been done. The problem with both types of offense is repetition. To get good you need to get the players a lot of reps and you only have so much practice time.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

nostra_808 wrote:just throwing it out there, the triple option and the run and shoot have very similar base sets.....wideout left and right, slots left and right, and a single back......so why not create a package that offers both?
Very few quarterbacks can do both proficiently. It is quite rare. And talent like that doesn't usually matriculate to UH.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.