Hawaii predicted to finish #3 in the MWC Western Division

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Hawaii predicted to finish #3 in the MWC Western Division

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

by the new magazine Harris College Football at newsstands now!

Predicted 1st was SDSU; followed by #2 Fresno St.

But I predict we can beat SDSU & Fresno St. since we are playing them at home:

http://hawaiiathletics.com/schedule.asp ... h=football

GO WARRIORS!
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Hawaii predicted to finish #3 in the MWC Western Divisio

Post by madeinhawaii »

Until this happened.... Former West Virginia QB transfers to Fresno State

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college ... 71816.html

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

madeinhawaii wrote:Until this happened.... Former West Virginia QB transfers to Fresno State
Until what happened?

Ford Childress was a 3* Pro Style QB out of HS, 6'4'', 240 lbs
RSFR: 36-63 passing for 427 yards, 3 TD and 3 INTs

Max Wittek was a 4* Pro Style QB out of HS, 6'4'', 240 lbs
RSFR: 36-of-69 (52.2%) for 388 yards with 3 TDs and 5 INT

I say it's a wash

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

The thing about FBS transfers, is you kinda had to suck to be in this position to begin with. You don't hear stories about FBS QBs transferring to another FBS school in search of playing time (cause they weren't good enough where they were at), then they suddenly become a star.

Fresno fans had everyone freaking out about Connette last year. Look at what he did at Duke! My God, he's gonna dominate here!

He barely even made an impact.

I'd caution the same for Wittek. He is here for a reason. Remember when we all freaked out over Taylor Graham? 4-Star recruit! HUGE arm, he can move too! The guy is a monster!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

J-Rod wrote:The thing about FBS transfers, is you kinda had to suck to be in this position to begin with. You don't hear stories about FBS QBs transferring to another FBS school in search of playing time (cause they weren't good enough where they were at), then they suddenly become a star.

Fresno fans had everyone freaking out about Connette last year. Look at what he did at Duke! My God, he's gonna dominate here!

I'd caution the same for Wittek. He is here for a reason. Remember when we all freaked out over Taylor Graham? 4-Star recruit! HUGE arm, he can move too! The guy is a monster!
While I tend to agree... I think Fresno has a better supporting cast for the QB to work with.... The new QB, whomever it turns out to be, just has to be better than Brian Burrell (18 INTs to 22 TDs). If coach Tim DeRuyter can open up his passing game again, I suspect that they'll be somewhat more dangerous than our Warriors this season.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

madeinhawaii wrote:Until this happened.... Former West Virginia QB transfers to Fresno State

interesting comment left on that fresno bee story: "I wonder what attracted Fresno State to Childress, his slow telegraphed release or his inability to make a decision quickly. Maybe he can be a BIG fish in a small pond. He has the skillset, maybe he was intimidated by less talented players."

hope the warriors prove harris wrong and finish higher. and not just in the western division.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

st808 wrote:hope the warriors prove harris wrong and finish higher. and not just in the western division.
Prove Harris wrong? That's the best prognostication I've seen anyone give Hawaii all off-season. 3rd place is a bowl bound, probably 7-8 win team.

Sure, gotta have high standards and all, but also gotta recognize where this program is at right now. 8 wins in a three year span is no cause for overconfidence.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Why do highly rated QBs that get beat out at other schools end up at schools like Hawaii and Fresno State? It isn't too difficult to understand. Most of the top rated schools already have highly rated QBs in the wings that are already in their system. It is all about risk reward and return on your investment. Do you want a 4* with 1 or 2 years to play? Or do you want a 3-4* with 5 years to play 4.

Most upper tier programs are not looking for quick fixes. They already have 3-5 QBs in their 4 year pipeline. They already have 2-3 QBs that have some familiarity with their program.

Texas was willing to take Wittek because of his talent and potential if he had two years to go. They assesed their QB pipeline and could see where he would sit a year to learn their system then possibly start for two years, maybe 1. When he had just a year to play the odds changed and they did not see the in the investment. They were better off giving a schoolie to a freshman.

It is a business.

Most upper tier programs rarely bring in JCs and transfers. They only bring in a JC or transfer if the player is exceptional, they have a dire need and that player will give them at least two years of PLAYING time. Not bench time.

QBs like Wittek and Childress have limited options. They have to pick programs where they fell for sure they can beat out the competition and start. it is their last shot at playing, getting some recognition with a blow out year to get to the next level. They have the tools. They have to find the right opportunity with limited options.

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

J-Rod wrote:The thing about FBS transfers, is you kinda had to suck to be in this position to begin with. You don't hear stories about FBS QBs transferring to another FBS school in search of playing time (cause they weren't good enough where they were at), then they suddenly become a star.

"That's right!! If you transfer, you must absolutely SUCK!" -
Your's truly,
Troy Aikman

"Spot on brah!!"
Later,
Colt Brennan.

Max did not transfer because he sucked. Period.

Taylor Graham was a player that needed experience. We all knew what he brought to the table. Those that dug a little deeper knew he's been injury prone since his Jr Year in HS. That trend continued at UH. In his 2 seasons here, he threw about 120 passes... that's barely 4 games worth.

Max will automatically upgrade the position on a team that is dying for an accurate QB... unless you want to continue the Ikaika project. There is never any guarantees with performance, but I'll take my chances with Max. I'm don't care if he's not an AA. I just want solid, but I think he'll be more than that if he gets the reps and survives the first half of a top loaded schedule.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

CoconutKid wrote:

while it's true that not all transfers suck, im taking an exception here with Wittek. he's done nothing BUT suck where ever he's played. even in high school he was mediocre. he's a big load of potential that hasnt delivered in his life.
CoconutKid wrote:

Max will automatically upgrade the position on a team that is dying for an accurate QB... unless you want to continue the Ikaika project.
if we're looking for an accruate QB, how is plugging in the guy who couldnt even breech 55% accuracy on a team with Pro level receivers going to help?
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Joe Flacco is probably the best argument for crappy top tier cfb rejects that do well on the next level. He went on to an FCS school and is now a veteran NFL starter. I still don't like Flacco, but he's made it.

Predicting Hawaii to finish middle of the pack in a division of its own conference is nothing to cheer about. Hawaii will also be demolished by Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Boise State this year.

I'm curious to see what happens with new coaching schemes, but there is no way we are bowl bound this year.

CoconutKid

Post by CoconutKid »

xer 21 wrote:
CoconutKid wrote:

while it's true that not all transfers suck, im taking an exception here with Wittek. he's done nothing BUT suck where ever he's played. even in high school he was mediocre. he's a big load of potential that hasnt delivered in his life.
CoconutKid wrote:

Max will automatically upgrade the position on a team that is dying for an accurate QB... unless you want to continue the Ikaika project.
if we're looking for an accruate QB, how is plugging in the guy who couldnt even breech 55% accuracy on a team with Pro level receivers going to help?
You mean the guy who has thrown less than 100 passes? I've made it perfectly clear in past posts that there are no guarantees. But I'm anxious to see what he offers, giving what we've already seen. Regarding accuracy, feel free to compare him to Ikaika who has played more than an 1 season and almost 500 passes. Yet he's hasn't even completed 50% of his passes. Yeah you're right. Let's play Ikaika.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

xer 21 wrote:
CoconutKid wrote:

CoconutKid wrote:

I guess you could throw out the competition that he played against. How many full games did he actually play?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

CoconutKid wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
CoconutKid wrote:

CoconutKid wrote:

You mean the guy who has thrown less than 100 passes? I've made it perfectly clear in past posts that there are no guarantees. But I'm anxious to see what he offers, giving what we've already seen. Regarding accuracy, feel free to compare him to Ikaika who has played more than an 1 season and almost 500 passes. Yet he's hasn't even completed 50% of his passes. Yeah you're right. Let's play Ikaika.
im no fan of Ikaika, but this team had more drops than EDC. Meanwhile, Wittek was throwing to Nelson Agholor.

that's not a fair comparison.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

SundayJam wrote:Joe Flacco is probably the best argument for crappy top tier cfb rejects that do well on the next level. He went on to an FCS school and is now a veteran NFL starter. I still don't like Flacco, but he's made it.

Predicting Hawaii to finish middle of the pack in a division of its own conference is nothing to cheer about. Hawaii will also be demolished by Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Boise State this year.

I'm curious to see what happens with new coaching schemes, but there is no way we are bowl bound this year.
You won't cheer, but I will.

Hawaii has been terrible.