Future of the program

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Re: Future of the program

Post by Hawkpeter »

I would think big and consider every challenge as an opportunity.

Hawaii is a unique place, and it is at a low enough level right now to present a unique opportunity; take a gamble on what football will look like in 20 years time and starting heading in that direction. Be a trail blazer for football ingenuity.

I would seek advice from people outside football as well as within. I don't think there is a safe option for Hawaii that it can settle with. I think Hawaii football is in for a fight, and I think that is good enough reason to try something different. Missionary position football is not working right now and I don't think it ever has. Tomey and Jones did things differently and against the zeitgeist of the time. Wagner and McMackin continued those legacies.

In another generation, everyone will look back and scold the backwardsness of our present; it always happens. Inviting innovation for UH football will at the very least feel like somehow, some way, UH football and UH Athletics is trying like hell, willing to experiment and determined to get better.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

UH athletics ranks lowest for state, student fee subsidies in Big West

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/br ... =305495941

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

You would think that UH would put more thought and consideration into one of their Nationally Competitive top 25 programs.
Nationally Competitive Top-25 programs include environmental law, eastern philosophy, international business, second language studies and athletics
https://www.hawaii.edu/campuses/manoa.html

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

The Hawaii administration has made one catastrophic decision after another. We should've fought to keep the WAC alive and finished off a measly one year continuance of McMackin's contract. At least at the end of that, we'd still have a clearly winning staff of Rolovich and Aranda. Gawd with the WAC, what I wouldn't give to catch an occasional game on ESPN again.

I agree that targeting a BCS bowl every year is a joke. We should target a Hawaii bowl every year--win or lose. I'd absolutely take June Jones back in a heart beat--at a discounted rate. He'd have to give it the Chris Ault to bring us back to relevance...and maybe get himself a name in the college football hall of fame.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

SundayJam wrote:The Hawaii administration has made one catastrophic decision after another. We should've fought to keep the WAC alive and finished off a measly one year continuance of McMackin's contract. At least at the end of that, we'd still have a clearly winning staff of Rolovich and Aranda. Gawd with the WAC, what I wouldn't give to catch an occasional game on ESPN again.

I agree that targeting a BCS bowl every year is a joke. We should target a Hawaii bowl every year--win or lose. I'd absolutely take June Jones back in a heart beat--at a discounted rate. He'd have to give it the Chris Ault to bring us back to relevance...and maybe get himself a name in the college football hall of fame.
I was actually hoping that the WAC would still have been viable if UH, Nevada, Utah State and Fresno State had agreed to remain in the conference, and if BYU was able to bring their Olympic sports into the conference with their football team playing a heavy WAC schedule, including games with UH, then bringing in those Texas schools who have since moved on to Conference USA and the Sunbelt Conference. The WAC had been trying to keep UH in the fold with I believe a promise of no travel expenses to be paid to the other members.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

SundayJam wrote:The Hawaii administration has made one catastrophic decision after another. We should've fought to keep the WAC alive and finished off a measly one year continuance of McMackin's contract. At least at the end of that, we'd still have a clearly winning staff of Rolovich and Aranda. Gawd with the WAC, what I wouldn't give to catch an occasional game on ESPN again.

It's a scary topic...I don't know how many of you read MW message boards, but the sweeping consensus from those fans is to just get rid of Hawaii. We're far away, our financials are garbage, and there appears to be very little hope that we'll ever invest enough $$$ to catch up with the "big boys", or even the top brass of the non-P5 programs. We are not welcome guests among the MW. Leaves one wondering how this relationship with end.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

J-Rod wrote: It's a scary topic...I don't know how many of you read MW message boards, but the sweeping consensus from those fans is to just get rid of Hawaii. We're far away, our financials are garbage, and there appears to be very little hope that we'll ever invest enough $$$ to catch up with the "big boys", or even the top brass of the non-P5 programs. We are not welcome guests among the MW. Leaves one wondering how this relationship with end.
The MW is so ghetto compared to what we used to enjoy. What does Hawaii bring to the MW? A big stadium, a bowl game, and the #1 offense in the country!!

Doh!!!...I guess we don't have much of anything anymore. One could hardly blame them. This is even more depressing than the Von Appen years.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Hawkpeter wrote:I would think big and consider every challenge as an opportunity.

Hawaii is a unique place, and it is at a low enough level right now to present a unique opportunity; take a gamble on what football will look like in 20 years time and starting heading in that direction. Be a trail blazer for football ingenuity.

I would seek advice from people outside football as well as within. I don't think there is a safe option for Hawaii that it can settle with. I think Hawaii football is in for a fight, and I think that is good enough reason to try something different. Missionary position football is not working right now and I don't think it ever has. Tomey and Jones did things differently and against the zeitgeist of the time. Wagner and McMackin continued those legacies.

In another generation, everyone will look back and scold the backwardsness of our present; it always happens. Inviting innovation for UH football will at the very least feel like somehow, some way, UH football and UH Athletics is trying like hell, willing to experiment and determined to get better.
I'm sure most posters here see me as a cynic. Guys, I'm not really cynical. I'm just a really frustrated alumnus/fan. The business model at the UHAD is totally broken and I'm sick and tired of business as usual. Why can't the UH see what is wrong with the football program? I just can't understand it. The football program is not operating near its potential in revenue raising. Clearly, the fan base has jumped off the band wagon. And to make matters worse, up to now, instead of fixing the problem, the UH is blaming the fan base. That's like a restaurant blaming the community for its failing business, even though the food and customer service sucks. I've gone on and on regarding how Chowball is boring and not worth the price of admission. But all we get is incompetent administrators being replaced by equally incompetence. We now have a Chancellor with impossible guidelines for the athletic department. I'm just so pessimistic about the future of UH football and the UHAD overall.

And all we hear is the UH doesn't have the money to continually pay for coaches that are no longer here. If that all we're going to get, put us out of our misery already. We've suffered long enough. How can we keep up with other MWC/BWC programs that will be offering stipends to their recruits? I've reached the point already where I'd rather see the program nixed, rather than being threatened or blamed for the UH's mishandling of a program we all once were so proud of. It may be too late anyway. I believe we've already reached the point of no recovery.
I am the one who knocks.

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

Last edited by CoconutKid on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoconutKid

Post by CoconutKid »

The notion that the survival of the WAC was somehow in our hands or that we'd be better off in the WAC is nothing short of crazy. If we stayed in the WAC, I guarantee a different group of people( or perhaps the exact same group )would be accusing the AD of sitting on his hands instead of doing what it takes to get us to the MWC. We are in a sh1t position because we have absolutely NO bargaining power REGARDLESS of what we decided to do.

As much as I disagree with your 1st paragraph, I completely agree with your 2nd. The priority is:
1) Hawaii Bowl
2) Win MWC Championship
3) Win the Lottery
4) Capture a Unicorn
5) Compete for a BCS Bowl.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

CoconutKid wrote:

The notion that the survival of the WAC was somehow in our hands or that we'd be better off in the WAC is nothing short of crazy. If we stayed in the WAC, I guarantee a different group of people( or perhaps the exact same group )would be accusing the AD of sitting on his hands instead of doing what it takes to get us to the MWC. We are in a sh1t position because we have absolutely NO bargaining power REGARDLESS of what we decided to do.

As much as I disagree with your 1st paragraph, I completely agree with your 2nd. The priority is:
1) Hawaii Bowl
2) Win MWC Championship
3) Win the Lottery
4) Capture a Unicorn
5) Compete for a BCS Bowl.
Somewhere between 3~5 is get players drafted into the pros in any sport, win Miss America, Miss Universe, Miss World... stuff like dat that get us positive attention.

415hawaiiboy
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

Winter is coming. Buy a coat, a peacoat. The point is the forecast may be cold or getting colder, but you can look good and make the best of the situation as a fan. I'm going to continue to enjoy my warriors. There is no other team that matters to me.

With that said, football performance is cyclical. The wheels in attendance didn't really fall off until the home game after the Rice road game. A chunk of the fan base went into hiding but they are still there and will come back when the party starts again. Chow this is it: win and entertain or retire honorably. I think we will win.

Go Warriors!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

CoconutKid wrote:
I dunno, the administration went along with the crowd in going for a new conference and a new coach. Both failed. We could have and should have fought for our conference at any price. Hawaii had bargaining power in the old WAC with its bowl game. Hawaii with the run and shoot was also a darling of ESPN late night programming.

The MW is crap and our position in this poop pile is at the bottom. It was a big mistake and there's no going back. Oh well.

415hawaiiboy
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

SundayJam wrote:
CoconutKid wrote:
I dunno, the administration went along with the crowd in going for a new conference and a new coach. Both failed. We could have and should have fought for our conference at any price. Hawaii had bargaining power in the old WAC with its bowl game. Hawaii with the run and shoot was also a darling of ESPN late night programming.

The MW is crap and our position in this poop pile is at the bottom. It was a big mistake and there's no going back. Oh well.
Silver lining in me says the WAC was unsustainable (or same could be said about the MWC) as a G5 access bowl conference. Boise left. If the WAC survived, it would become the CUSA of the West Coast with the MWC being the AAC equivalent. I would rather be in the MWC. The junk thing that happened was we changed systems and had a downturn in performance coinciding with joining the MWC while our ex WAC brothers improved (USU, SJSU). The level of competition in the new MWC is higher than the WAC. We needed to play better, it looks like we've improved from 2012.

Being in the MWC, we get a share of the BCS payouts and playoffs. Travel subs are a cost of doing business (although prorated from LA to Hawaii makes more sense). Subsidy vs Free Trip to Hawaii (subsidy is like a discount). I truly believe as quick as we lost fans, we can get a good portion of them back in as quick a time with better performance.

I can live with UH being a top tier G5 with a couple P5 opponents a year, and frequent "trips" to the hawaii bowl. I still get a rise out of beating Frenso and Nevada (hasn't been working recently). Play up boys!

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

415hawaiiboy wrote:Winter is coming. Buy a coat, a peacoat. The point is the forecast may be cold or getting colder, but you can look good and make the best of the situation as a fan. I'm going to continue to enjoy my warriors. There is no other team that matters to me.

With that said, football performance is cyclical. The wheels in attendance didn't really fall off until the home game after the Rice road game. A chunk of the fan base went into hiding but they are still there and will come back when the party starts again. Chow this is it: win and entertain or retire honorably. I think we will win.

Go Warriors!
Wishful thinking. The reason why you think they will win is because they're your favorite team. :-?
I am the one who knocks.