5/12/15 Ka Leo article on Hawaii offense

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
All-American
All-American

5/12/15 Ka Leo article on Hawaii offense

Post by 808 »

http://www.kaleo.org/sports/terminal-ve ... a205c.html

Sounds encouraging. Hope they're not just trying to get our hopes up.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 5/12/15 Ka Leo article on Hawaii offense

Post by My3Cats »

Hope springs eternal. I have hope for Bailey and the Offense. As long as Chow lets them do what they have to do.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

That is the exact opposite of what I 'd like to see. We'd be better off slowing the game down. The less downs our defense has to play, the better our chances of winning. I would run something similar to what Navy does. Get to the LOS quickly. If the defense isn't ready, snap the ball. If the are, let the play clock (and game clock) run. The longer our offense can hold onto the ball, the less time our defense will be on the field.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:Hope springs eternal. I have hope for Bailey and the Offense. As long as Chow lets them do what they have to do.
Better to have false hope than no hope, I suppose. :-?
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:That is the exact opposite of what I 'd like to see. We'd be better off slowing the game down. The less downs our defense has to play, the better our chances of winning. I would run something similar to what Navy does. Get to the LOS quickly. If the defense isn't ready, snap the ball. If the are, let the play clock (and game clock) run. The longer our offense can hold onto the ball, the less time our defense will be on the field.
But if Chowball rears it's ugly head, then it doesn't matter how slow the offense moves before the snap of the ball. No first downs = punt and tOSU gets the ball back again real quick.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:
My3Cats wrote:Hope springs eternal. I have hope for Bailey and the Offense. As long as Chow lets them do what they have to do.
Better to have false hope than no hope, I suppose. :-?
There is no hope in dope.

At least that's what I hear.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

808Hawaii wrote:That is the exact opposite of what I 'd like to see. We'd be better off slowing the game down. The less downs our defense has to play, the better our chances of winning. I would run something similar to what Navy does. Get to the LOS quickly. If the defense isn't ready, snap the ball. If the are, let the play clock (and game clock) run. The longer our offense can hold onto the ball, the less time our defense will be on the field.
that may be one of the article's points, to identify the defensive strengths and to take advantages of their weaknesses. as you say, line up quickly and snap the ball whenever the defense is not set, 12 or more on the field or to stop subs. hawaii had lots of free play snap opportunities last season that weren't taken advantage of. i hope to see more free play snaps this year, whenever possible.

if the defense is ready and lined up, use the clock, check the offensive play caller to see if they want another play run to take advantage of what the defense is showing, then snap it with the clock running.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Would be nice if someone other than Chow gets to really run the offense.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

:-? I'm very skeptical. Bailey had a single winning season at Idaho State, an FCS (D2) team. The article also does not paint a pretty picture of Chow's demeanor. He is the head coach still, after all.
For three years, Chow had been resistant to change. He demanded control of the offense, often electing to call plays from the field instead of having a coordinator or assistant make the calls from the booth. In those three years, the offense has lacked consistency and potency. After three years of attempting to force a solution, Chow is adapting. Giving Bailey a chance to run things his way is a new direction from Chow, and one that could pay off in a big way.

For his part, Bailey is confident that he can work with Chow’s concepts to produce something special.

“[Chow]’s a very experienced guy in terms of offense,” Bailey said. “We still do some of the things that he’s done here in the past and some of my background matches that with him, but for the most part, I’m calling everything.”

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

st808 wrote:
that may be one of the article's points, to identify the defensive strengths and to take advantages of their weaknesses. as you say, line up quickly and snap the ball whenever the defense is not set, 12 or more on the field or to stop subs. hawaii had lots of free play snap opportunities last season that weren't taken advantage of. i hope to see more free play snaps this year, whenever possible.

if the defense is ready and lined up, use the clock, check the offensive play caller to see if they want another play run to take advantage of what the defense is showing, then snap it with the clock running.
Yes. Exactly. Shorten the game as much as we can so the defense doesn't have to play so many downs.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

SundayJam wrote::-? I'm very skeptical. Bailey had a single winning season at Idaho State, an FCS (D2) team. The article also does not paint a pretty picture of Chow's demeanor. He is the head coach still, after all.
For three years, Chow had been resistant to change. He demanded control of the offense, often electing to call plays from the field instead of having a coordinator or assistant make the calls from the booth. In those three years, the offense has lacked consistency and potency. After three years of attempting to force a solution, Chow is adapting. Giving Bailey a chance to run things his way is a new direction from Chow, and one that could pay off in a big way.

For his part, Bailey is confident that he can work with Chow’s concepts to produce something special.

“[Chow]’s a very experienced guy in terms of offense,” Bailey said. “We still do some of the things that he’s done here in the past and some of my background matches that with him, but for the most part, I’m calling everything.”
Chow's coaching legacy has been completely wiped out in his home town. I should feel bad but his pig-headedness and seemingly lack of caring makes it impossible for me to feel sorry for him.
I am the one who knocks.

Makai TailG8TAZ
Starter
Starter

Post by Makai TailG8TAZ »

Wondering if the OC is still interested in the two Mililani verbals or is he leaning in a different direction.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

st808 wrote:

Getting first downs keeps the defense off the field, too.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

madeinhawaii wrote:
st808 wrote:

Getting first downs keeps the defense off the field, too.
That's true but say we get three first downs then punt. Less than three minutes might run off the game clock instead of much more. We don't have guy sin the Dline rotation, especially at the NT position. The less the Defensive unit is on the field, the better our chances of winning.
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

808Hawaii wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote: Getting first downs keeps the defense off the field, too.
That's true but say we get three first downs then punt. Less than three minutes might run off the game clock instead of much more. We don't have guy sin the Dline rotation, especially at the NT position. The less the Defensive unit is on the field, the better our chances of winning.
Ture, but the complexion of the Game changes if we make touchdowns. In the RnS, our Defense took the field a lot. Our time of posession was usually less than the opponent, which meant our defense was on the field more often. But having points on your side of the board helps energize even the most weary for "one more play".

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com