Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: 5/12/15 Ka Leo article on Hawaii offense

Post by 808Hawaii »

madeinhawaii wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote: Getting first downs keeps the defense off the field, too.
That's true but say we get three first downs then punt. Less than three minutes might run off the game clock instead of much more. We don't have guy sin the Dline rotation, especially at the NT position. The less the Defensive unit is on the field, the better our chances of winning.
Ture, but the complexion of the Game changes if we make touchdowns. In the RnS, our Defense took the field a lot. Our time of posession was usually less than the opponent, which meant our defense was on the field more often. But having points on your side of the board helps energize even the most weary for "one more play".
We might score 40% of the time. But if our defense gives up scores 80% of the time, hard to win. If the games were only 40 minutes instead of 60, we'd have a better chance of winning.
I am the one who knocks.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

[quote="808Hawaii"]
if we're scoring 40% of the time, the defense isnt going to be on the field that much. that's a decent success rate.

besides, why are you trying to use the offense to protect the defense? the defense is BETTER than the offense. the offense needs to pick up the slack, not the other way around. the offense was slow last year. didnt help out much, did it?
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

SundayJam wrote::-? I'm very skeptical. Bailey had a single winning season at Idaho State, an FCS (D2) team. The article also does not paint a pretty picture of Chow's demeanor. He is the head coach still, after all.
you have to look at the context though. the progression from his first season, offensively, is consistent. and his QBs always produced, even if the team didnt.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I like attacking defenses and ATTACKING OFFENSES.

I don't know of too many hurry up offenses that don't do well against defenses that don't have time to react. Whenever you can keep a defense off balance the advantage goes to the offense.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

TheDuke wrote:I like attacking defenses and ATTACKING OFFENSES.

I don't know of too many hurry up offenses that don't do well against defenses that don't have time to react. Whenever you can keep a defense off balance the advantage goes to the offense.
Yep, in the end, their defense will be as gassed or more than as ours.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

xer 21 wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: if we're scoring 40% of the time, the defense isnt going to be on the field that much. that's a decent success rate.

besides, why are you trying to use the offense to protect the defense? the defense is BETTER than the offense. the offense needs to pick up the slack, not the other way around. the offense was slow last year. didnt help out much, did it?
Yes, 40% is a good scoring rate. I wish we can score 40% of the time. But we're probably not. I'm just using that as an example without having someone say I'm bring unrealistic. But our defense going give up scoring drives more than 40% of the time this year.

But oh Gaawd no. Our defensive line is our weakest unit on the team. If our defense is truly better than our offense, we in serious danger of going 1-12 or worse. Who is going to be in the Dline rotation? K. Tulimasealii, probably L. Shawley, who else? Who will be the DEs in this rotation when KT and LS are resting? Who will be our starting and back up NTs? Go take a look at our roster then you will realize how bad our defense will be and how ludicrous your thinking of our defense being better than our offense is.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

And I recall Chow and Wynn trying some hurry up offense last season, resulting in punting the ball back in one minute.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

madeinhawaii wrote:
TheDuke wrote:I like attacking defenses and ATTACKING OFFENSES.

Yep, in the end, their defense will be as gassed or more than as ours.
You have to be able to move the chains if that's going to work. Otherwise, the result will be gassing our very, very, very, very thin defense.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: if we're scoring 40% of the time, the defense isnt going to be on the field that much. that's a decent success rate.

Yes, 40% is a good scoring rate. I wish we can score 40% of the time. But we're probably not. I'm just using that as an example without having someone say I'm bring unrealistic. But our defense going give up scoring drives more than 40% of the time this year.

But oh Gaawd no. Our defensive line is our weakest unit on the team. If our defense is truly better than our offense, we in serious danger of going 1-12 or worse. Who is going to be in the Dline rotation? K. Tulimasealii, probably L. Shawley, who else? Who will be the DEs in this rotation when KT and LS are resting? Who will be our starting and back up NTs? Go take a look at our roster then you will realize how bad our defense will be and how ludicrous your thinking of our defense being better than our offense is.
With the lack of depth on the defensive line and with the inevitable injuries through the season, I wouldn't be surprised if linebackers weren't put into the game to play on the d-line due to desperation. It would be problematic if offensive linemen were put on defense because there is a lack of depth there as well.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

We don't have anyone that physically fills the roll of a NT. prototypical NTs are about 6-1 310. Our starting Center Brenden Urban (6-1 295) would be the closest thing we have to a NT. JR Kory Rasmussen (6-2 270, hasn't played a down in college) might me the next best guy there. We are beyond thin at the DL.
I am the one who knocks.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I don't know about you all, but I'm in wait and see mode. I've lost count of how many springs we've heard of these "improvements" from the likes of Stephen Tsai and all.

"The offense is much more diverse than it was last season. [Insert new coach] is much better than [coach that just left]. [Insert new QB] is much more accurate than [last season's QB], and he appears to know the offense better too. Expect a big year from [Insert new QB]"

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

J-Rod wrote:I don't know about you all, but I'm in wait and see mode. I've lost count of how many springs we've heard of these "improvements" from the likes of Stephen Tsai and all.

"The offense is much more diverse than it was last season. [Insert new coach] is much better than [coach that just left]. [Insert new QB] is much more accurate than [last season's QB], and he appears to know the offense better too. Expect a big year from [Insert new QB]"
I don't believe anything from ST, RK, BC or any of the animals. They're all pom pom fluff cheerleaders.
I am the one who knocks.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

We'll have to wait and see with this new offense.

But in previous years, have you guys not learned anything from watching Chow? Yeah, I'd rather we attack defenses too, but Chow's offenses have lacked that ability. Except maybe when we had the Schroeder Slingshot to Gant.

I remember a few years ago, the Chargers were able to beat Chip Kelly's Eagles because they simply milked the clock. Ran every play clock to below five seconds. Of course, it helped that they were actually able to gain first downs and score touchdowns. But still, in previous years, it would have been much better to slow the game down, take more time off the clock and give our defense more time to rest since we couldn't move the damn ball.

But we'll just have to wait and see with our new offense