spring football rants

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: spring football rants

Post by EITSwarrior »

808Hawaii wrote:
Makana wrote:No offense bro, but I thought you liked to look up stats. Like I said it was just to show the receivers accountability in the passing game, and that interception stats don't tell the whole story. For instance would you rather have a pass rusher that get's 20 pressures a game with no sacks or would you rather have a pass rusher that get's no pressure but manages at least one sack a game?? My point is that pressure doesn't show up in stats and that sacks don't also tell the whole story to a defender.

But getting back to Wittek, if you're gonna use the 24 INT's to judge him don't you think he deserves to be judged fairly??
But 24? For Mater Dei? Excuse me for not buying into the hype about this guy. I didn't buy Taylor Graham's hype either. All I saw was a recruit that was injury-prone. And sure enough, that's all he turned to be.

The following is a post I made in October 2013. This is the kind of insight I have.

Reasons why Chow has to go at the end of this season #1. Don't believe the BS that we can't afford the $1.3M to buyout Chow. We cannot afford NOT to. We lost 4,580 season ticket holders last year. At about $200 each, that comes out to $917K. We lost them not only this year but for at least the next two years. So the 4,580 season ticket revenue we lost in three years is $2,748,000. But that's damage that can't be undone. If we lost just 3,250 more season ticket holders this year, in the two remaining years of Chow's presence that represents exactly $1.3M, the amount of Chow's buyout. We'll probably lose more than 3,250 if Chow stays. We'll lose more money keeping Chow than what we'll lose buying him out.

#2. We've reached the point that if Jay doesn't rollover Chow's contract, he'll be recruiting on an uneven field. I don't think anyone is suggesting Chow's earned the rollover. Of course we shouldn't. So try convincing recruits to come to a school where the coaching staff may be here only one, two or at most three more years. You know other schools interested in the same recruits will use that against UH when recruiting. You think Chow has been having a difficult time recruiting the past two years? It will get increasingly more difficult in the future.

#3. There are better coaches out there, coaches that would bring back fans to the stadium, or at least stem the exodus of fans. Dino Babers is my choice. He took over a 2-9 Eastern Illinois team in 2011 and went 7-5 in 2012 as head coach. A FCS team, they're 5-1 so far this year, losing only at N. Illinois 43-39. But they won at SDSU 40-19. Babers employs an exciting passing offense, something our fan base would appreciate. Babers has ties to UH, playing from 1979 to 1983 and was a graduate assistant in 1984. He's been in coaching ever since, working his way up to Offensive Coordinator at Arizona and Texas A&M, and assistant head coach at UCLA. His current salary is $170K.

We can continue on the path we're on and operate deeper and deeper in the red or we can try something to fire up the fanbase. If Babers fails, the only thing we have to lose is his small salary ($403K minimum at UH). If Babers succeeds, even just becoming bowl eligible, we will be in a much better place than where we are now.
Umm your not the only one that had that insight.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

EITSwarrior wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
Makana wrote:No offense bro, but I thought you liked to look up stats. Like I said it was just to show the receivers accountability in the passing game, and that interception stats don't tell the whole story. For instance would you rather have a pass rusher that get's 20 pressures a game with no sacks or would you rather have a pass rusher that get's no pressure but manages at least one sack a game?? My point is that pressure doesn't show up in stats and that sacks don't also tell the whole story to a defender.

But getting back to Wittek, if you're gonna use the 24 INT's to judge him don't you think he deserves to be judged fairly??
But 24? For Mater Dei? Excuse me for not buying into the hype about this guy. I didn't buy Taylor Graham's hype either. All I saw was a recruit that was injury-prone. And sure enough, that's all he turned to be.

The following is a post I made in October 2013. This is the kind of insight I have.

Reasons why Chow has to go at the end of this season #1. Don't believe the BS that we can't afford the $1.3M to buyout Chow. We cannot afford NOT to. We lost 4,580 season ticket holders last year. At about $200 each, that comes out to $917K. We lost them not only this year but for at least the next two years. So the 4,580 season ticket revenue we lost in three years is $2,748,000. But that's damage that can't be undone. If we lost just 3,250 more season ticket holders this year, in the two remaining years of Chow's presence that represents exactly $1.3M, the amount of Chow's buyout. We'll probably lose more than 3,250 if Chow stays. We'll lose more money keeping Chow than what we'll lose buying him out.

#2. We've reached the point that if Jay doesn't rollover Chow's contract, he'll be recruiting on an uneven field. I don't think anyone is suggesting Chow's earned the rollover. Of course we shouldn't. So try convincing recruits to come to a school where the coaching staff may be here only one, two or at most three more years. You know other schools interested in the same recruits will use that against UH when recruiting. You think Chow has been having a difficult time recruiting the past two years? It will get increasingly more difficult in the future.

#3. There are better coaches out there, coaches that would bring back fans to the stadium, or at least stem the exodus of fans. Dino Babers is my choice. He took over a 2-9 Eastern Illinois team in 2011 and went 7-5 in 2012 as head coach. A FCS team, they're 5-1 so far this year, losing only at N. Illinois 43-39. But they won at SDSU 40-19. Babers employs an exciting passing offense, something our fan base would appreciate. Babers has ties to UH, playing from 1979 to 1983 and was a graduate assistant in 1984. He's been in coaching ever since, working his way up to Offensive Coordinator at Arizona and Texas A&M, and assistant head coach at UCLA. His current salary is $170K.

We can continue on the path we're on and operate deeper and deeper in the red or we can try something to fire up the fanbase. If Babers fails, the only thing we have to lose is his small salary ($403K minimum at UH). If Babers succeeds, even just becoming bowl eligible, we will be in a much better place than where we are now.
Umm your not the only one that had that insight.
Who else posted it in October 2013?
I am the one who knocks.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Not saying anyone that I'm aware of posted those type of thoughts in as many words as you have, but speaking only for myself, I had those thoughts too during the first season of chow ball. Especially about recruiting troubles Chow would have after losing seasons.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

808Hawaii wrote: Who else posted it in October 2013?
Big Island Kurt on Sept 25, 2013...

Topic he started: Slow death? What would cost more?

"Buying out Norm's contract or continue letting the program bleed a slow death?

Don't hate the messenger on this one. I certainly appreciate the small improvements we are making. Yes, this year appears to be better than last. However, I say that rather loosely at this point. Prior to the Nevada game, we appeared to be at least in a position where we were "losing better," if there is such a thing. Our defense gave us reason to feel good as we hoped to find some kind of offensive momentum. Yet at this point of the Chow tenure, we can't deny that the program is slowly creeping to levels we have not seen since the dreaded FVO era. Despite small improvements, we continue to not win. Honolulu Magazine has a cover story entitled "Will we ever win again???" My goodness. Saying that these are not good times for UH football is an understatement. There are many who say, give it time. Let Chow get the recruits he needs to run his offense, etc. Yet in this era of costly sports and limited budgets, fielding a winning team is crucial to the bottom line of the department. Trust me, I get most sides of the argument regarding Chow's tenure. My question is, are we truly saddled with Chow 'till the end of his tenure? I'd like to believe that if the "powers that be" wants something done, they will do it. Unfortunately, I also feel like it was the powers that be themselves who found Chow to be the top choice to replace Mack. And yes, Mack had to go. And given the history of Hawaii's local boy offensive genius coach, it seemed like it was truly "Chow's time." The older generation like to believe in the concept of "paying your dues." Chow, with his many years as a successful OC certainly appeared to fit the bill. We have...and continue to learn that this may not have been the best approach. So what would indicate an improvement worthy of keeping him as head coach? 4 wins? 5 maybe? I do know one thing -- if we continue to lose, the bottom line will continue to suffer. Stadium attendance....pay per view, donors, boosters, advertisements....forget about it. That be the slow death I'm talking about. What do you all think?"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45000&p=533196&hili ... ow#p533196

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

I'm sure a lot of us had those ideas. It's amazing that the UHAD doesn't get it. The fan base will not embrace a pigheaded Chow.
I am the one who knocks.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

808Hawaii wrote:I'm sure a lot of us had those ideas. It's amazing that the UHAD doesn't get it. The fan base will not embrace a pigheaded Chow.
Wouldn't put it all on the UHAD. Whoever the AD, really has no power in regards to who the head coach is of the football team. All the other sports, he can pretty much to almost whatever he wants. Football, nope too many hands in the cookie jar.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

EITSwarrior wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:I'm sure a lot of us had those ideas. It's amazing that the UHAD doesn't get it. The fan base will not embrace a pigheaded Chow.
Wouldn't put it all on the UHAD. Whoever the AD, really has no power in regards to who the head coach is of the football team. All the other sports, he can pretty much to almost whatever he wants. Football, nope too many hands in the cookie jar.
Agree to some degree. But BJ didn't understand the local fan. Blaming us for not supporting a poor product? Threatening to kill football?
I am the one who knocks.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

808Hawaii wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
Agree to some degree. But BJ didn't understand the local fan. Blaming us for not supporting a poor product? Threatening to kill football?
I think BJ understood the locals. I just think some locals didn't understand what he was trying to do and what he could do given the difficult situation UH as a whole is in. Having a horrible football program during his tenure just exacerbated the anger of the community.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

But couldn't he see Chow was a poor coach and the fan base was not going to support him? Even his assistant coaches don't support him. 12 guys quit already. Don't be blaming us for not wanting to support such a poor product. And don't embarrass us on national TV by threatening to kill football. SMH.
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: dude, if woolsey starts this year...

Post by madeinhawaii »

Makana wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: If we make the Hawaii Bowl and extend Chow, the UHAD going run deeper in the red. We going average less than 25,000 tickets sold this year, maybe less than 20,000 turnstile. The deficit will continue to grow under Chow.
LOL you think Hawaii will run deeper in the red if we WIN??

Now I've heard it all. SMFH
Actually, it's not that far-fetched, it might be a real possibility. 7 wins won't bring back the numbers UH needs to break even. We barely squeaked by with 10 wins during Mac's tenure. So, yes, we would still be running deficit which would be added to the deficit of the previous years under Chow, so the deficit would continue to grow. To bring back the crowds, Chow will have to pull a couple of big upsets. All the other revenue sports would have to do really well for the Athletic Department to come close to breaking even on a 7 win season.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: dude, if woolsey starts this year...

Post by 808Hawaii »

madeinhawaii wrote:
Actually, it's not that far-fetched, it might be a real possibility. 7 wins won't bring back the numbers UH needs to break even. We barely squeaked by with 10 wins during Mac's tenure. So, yes, we would still be running deficit which would be added to the deficit of the previous years under Chow, so the deficit would continue to grow. To bring back the crowds, Chow will have to pull a couple of big upsets. All the other revenue sports would have to do really well for the Athletic Department to come close to breaking even on a 7 win season.
Don't bother. Some already have their minds made up.
I am the one who knocks.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

808Hawaii wrote:But couldn't he see Chow was a poor coach and the fan base was not going to support him? Even his assistant coaches don't support him. 12 guys quit already. Don't be blaming us for not wanting to support such a poor product. And don't embarrass us on national TV by threatening to kill football. SMH.
I'm sure he saw how poor a job Chow was doing, but the university is so financially cash strapped, what can he do with Chow's buyout and the replacements coaches salary? And there is a difference between fans not supporting a poor product and some vocal fans not agreeing with Ben Jay's ideas such as simplifying the sports nickname to just Warriors and Wahine. I don't blame fans for not supporting poor performing programs, but I don't like it when fans don't see some of the benefits of some of the ideas that Jay or any AD has/had and then complain that the AD is not doing a good job. Also Jay "threatening" to shutter the football program was not an embarrassment, nor was he trying to do that. He was trying to shed a brighter light on the perilousness that the athletic department is in. What better way to jolt people's attention then name the biggest and most popular sport? Look at the bigger picture and business side of things.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

EITSwarrior wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:But couldn't he see Chow was a poor coach and the fan base was not going to support him? Even his assistant coaches don't support him. 12 guys quit already. Don't be blaming us for not wanting to support such a poor product. And don't embarrass us on national TV by threatening to kill football. SMH.
I'm sure he saw how poor a job Chow was doing, but the university is so financially cash strapped, what can he do with Chow's buyout and the replacements coaches salary? And there is a difference between fans not supporting a poor product and some vocal fans not agreeing with Ben Jay's ideas such as simplifying the sports nickname to just Warriors and Wahine. I don't blame fans for not supporting poor performing programs, but I don't like it when fans don't see some of the benefits of some of the ideas that Jay or any AD has/had and then complain that the AD is not doing a good job. Also Jay "threatening" to shutter the football program was not an embarrassment, nor was he trying to do that. He was trying to shed a brighter light on the perilousness that the athletic department is in. What better way to jolt people's attention then name the biggest and most popular sport? Look at the bigger picture and business side of things.
Bottom line.. It didn't work. His earlier crowdfunding efforts for travel costs failed as well. Even the We Get 'Em crowd funder is struggling to pick up steam. Seven months into it and only 25K.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

^^^Yes, I see that. But what do you attribute that too, Ben Jay and donors and local community not connecting enough or to the donors and community not donating because they see the ugliness and disconnect of the football program and don't see it as a worthwhile investment? I see both as being why donations are hard to come by, but I attribute it more to the pathetic ness of the losing seasons of the Chow Era. Also would Ben Jay still be here if Chow wasn't an utter failure as a head coach?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

EITSwarrior wrote:^^^Yes, I see that. But what do you attribute that too, Ben Jay and donors and local community not connecting enough or to the donors and community not donating because they see the ugliness and disconnect of the football program and don't see it as a worthwhile investment? I see both as being why donations are hard to come by, but I attribute it more to the pathetic ness of the losing seasons of the Chow Era. Also would Ben Jay still be here if Chow wasn't an utter failure as a head coach?
I see it as a disconnect between UH and the fans (public). They don't give a rat's okole about the general public's opinion. At least that's how it looks to me. Unless, of course, we have a perfect season and their shortcomings come to National light. So, in the end, it's become reciprocal. Tit for tat. They don't care about us, we don't care about them. As for Ben Jay? He sealed his fate when he waxed both ways on the Rainbow Warrior vs Warrior name change.

The thing is, UH doesn't really realize that it needs a somewhat successful football program more than the fans do. The fans will learn to live without and find other venues for their hard earned entertainment dollar. UH? They stand to lose a lot of PR and advertising opportunities. The Student activity fee won't stand up very long once football and a few other women sports are cut. The local citizens will wonder why we have to prop UH up with close to half a billion dollars of tax money each year and want to shrink that budget. It's the golden goose.

They apparently don't read their own studies... left hand, right hand syndrome. http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/blog ... ty-of.html