State of our Defensive Line

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

State of our Defensive Line

Post by 808Hawaii »

I've been posting about this topic but it really deserves it's own thread. This is the most pressing need on our team.

Kennedy Tulimasealii should be the strong side DE. Luke Shawley will start on the weak side. But who will be the starting NT? Unless Tulimasealii is moved to NT, whoever starts will start having no career defensive tackles. WHAT? REALLY? Yeah. It's true. Other players listed as DL players are as follows:

(Jr) Kory Rasmussen 6-2 270, Did not play a down in his career
(So) Penitito Faalologo 5-11 250, played mostly special teams, no stats
(So) David Manoa 6-3 210, played two games at TE, no stats
(So) Meffy Koloamatangi 6-5 220, scout squad in 2014
(rFR) Ka'aumoana Gifford 6-4 275
(FR) Sione Kauhi 6-5 240
(JR) Nikki Taylor 6-2 305, JC transfer, academic eligibility in question.

Taylor is a NT. But even if Taylor is eligible, there's a big difference between JC and FBS. And who else will be in the DL rotation? Hard to believe, yeah? No one else has any tackle in their careers. With Taylor out, we'll have no run stuffer. And moving Tulimasealii would be bad because he is not a run stuffer and we'll have no pass rush. If Chow knew football, he'd know we need five or six guys in the DL rotation. And injuries are part of this game. Chow is really leaving us in a pinch.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: State of our Defensive Line

Post by My3Cats »

The defense will get crushed starting from game 1.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Kauhi was playing LT the last week of Spring Ball.

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Txbow »

SMH...this is no one else's fault but the Head Coach Chow. Did he think his dinosaur Pro Set offense was gonna score enough points to keep UH in games? I don't have the words to describe Chow's incompetence.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

kapakahi wrote:Kauhi was playing LT the last week of Spring Ball.
Last edited by 808Hawaii on Fri May 08, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Txbow wrote:SMH...this is no one else's fault but the Head Coach Chow. Did he think his dinosaur Pro Set offense was gonna score enough points to keep UH in games? I don't have the words to describe Chow's incompetence.
How can tOSU, Wisky and BSU not score a TD on every single drive against us? Even their second and third strings will score TDs against us.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

kapakahi wrote:Kauhi was playing LT the last week of Spring Ball.
Sorry. I thought you meant Kealii Kauahi (6-1 240). He has the height and weight of a Center.

Sione Kauhi (6-5 240) at LT? That's one less player on the defensive line. They should be looking to move players the other way.
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Both the Oline and Dline have half the number of players that they should have. That means, at the end of this season they will need to use 90% of their scholarships on Oline and Dline players.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I want to be optimistic about the offense....but with thin numbers on defense, while I think statistically the offense improves, it will only be because the offense is having to jack it up 40+ times a game because the team is losing all the time.

Warrior Nation is going to have to stay strong during that first month. The OSU, WIS, BSU games are gonna be the worst of the Chow era.

amela

Post by amela »

If every player was as pessimistic as some of you folks they wouldn't take the field or be on the team. Any team can be beaten on a given day. Been there done that on both sides, keep the faith.

JustMyOpinion
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JustMyOpinion »

If I recall correctly, Gus Lavaka is expected to enroll in the fall too. He has more of a traditional DT build so he might provide immediate depth for Rasmussen and Gifford.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

amela wrote:If every player was as pessimistic as some of you folks they wouldn't take the field or be on the team. Any team can be beaten on a given day. Been there done that on both sides, keep the faith.
You mean we can beat tOSU, Wisky or BSU? Us? UH? Do you really mean that?
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

JustMyOpinion wrote:If I recall correctly, Gus Lavaka is expected to enroll in the fall too. He has more of a traditional DT build so he might provide immediate depth for Rasmussen and Gifford.
Sounds like he is an Olineman. Will have to convert to DL in training camp if this is to happen. Coming off a two-year mission so he hasn't played football in a couple of years. Not going be in football shape, especially the contact part.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

808Hawaii wrote:
amela wrote:If every player was as pessimistic as some of you folks they wouldn't take the field or be on the team. Any team can be beaten on a given day. Been there done that on both sides, keep the faith.
You mean we can beat tOSU, Wisky or BSU? Us? UH? Do you really mean that?
I have faith for the players. I just don't have any faith for their head coach.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

On a potential positive note....

UH had an "under-the-radar" local Class of 2015 HS DE prospect attend the last Saturday’s scrimmage. Won't reveal his identity.......being definitely "under-the-radar".......since he didn't play much at all the past 2 HS seasons......so doesn't have any highlight videos.......nor did he attend any football camps in 2014 other than UH's.

What makes this local HS DE prospect kinda intriguing is that......he definitely already has FBS size......mostly height......at around 6'6" tall.