MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Nothing News Worthy: UH Football Spring Pratice

Post by Palolo_2LA »

This means one of 2 things.

1) The team/coaches are ready to win and are keeping things quiet
2) The team blows and they are limited "good" points to report

Side note: I played D3 FB in NJ and we had a spring games...like any other team there were injuries, but we played anyway. Seems weird that a D1 school, the only collegiate program in the state, would forgo a marketing opportunity to excite the fans. I attribute it to the lack of professionalism and business sense at UH.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Nothing News Worthy: UH Football Spring Pratice

Post by My3Cats »

Not having an official Spring Game or opening up the scrimmage to the fans tells us that Chow is tired of the complaints from the fan base and this gives us less opportunity to crap on him if the team looked bad.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

My3Cats wrote:Not having an official Spring Game or opening up the scrimmage to the fans tells us that Chow is tired of the complaints from the fan base and this gives us less opportunity to crap on him if the team looked bad.
Do you feel like he's postponing the reality of being out as coach or he's primed to reverse his recent fortunes?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

The program is no longer ours (the fans). It just belongs to the coach, his staff, the players, and their immediate families and friends.... oh.. and the few of the media in the hui. The rest of us are only invited to pay to watch, view, etc... total disconnect.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

madeinhawaii wrote:The program is no longer ours (the fans). It just belongs to the coach, his staff, the players, and their immediate families and friends.... oh.. and the few of the media in the hui. The rest of us are only invited to pay to watch, view, etc... total disconnect.
:hello1: Not sure why or what created this direction of alienating a shrinking fan base. Does Uncle Chow know the end is near? According to a few writes up on spring practice, the offense is still run up the middle and short passes....that will be a disaster and spell the end for our "local" FB hero.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Aren't we all fired up for football now?
I am the one who knocks.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I am fired up. I am always fired up for a new season. I could care less about a spring SCRIMMAGE.

I care about putting the best product that we can on the field on game day.

This is not unusual. JJ banned contact during practice to protect players. If we had a spring game and lost just one key player the negative fans would have gone crazy.

This is a critical year for all of us. Could this be a break out year? Who knows. But if we lose starters or players that will contribute significantly then the odds of a breakout season are significantly impacted.

I am all about the real games starting with the first game of the season.

You can be negative if you want to. That's your call. I refuse to be.

Odds are we will get killed at OSU. But I will be there.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

We didn't have a spring game when JJ was here. I don't remember if Mac had spring games. I don't see it as a big deal.
ImageImage

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Irse wrote:We didn't have a spring game when JJ was here. I don't remember if Mac had spring games. I don't see it as a big deal.
Mac had spring games. Tried to get fans to show up. That's why we even talk about the spring fling or scrimmage. I think he even had autograph sessions. They allowed photographs of the players so that most fans new who was who well before they hit the field. Right now, I might recognize a handful of the players if I saw them at L&L's.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote:We didn't have a spring game when JJ was here. I don't remember if Mac had spring games. I don't see it as a big deal.
Mac had a spring game. It was in his first year. I remember cause it was at Aloha Stadium at night and was the only time, recently, it ever being a huge deal where even casual fans showed up. The ones after that I don't remember being a big deal outside the hardcore fans.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Palolo_2LA wrote:This means one of 2 things.

1) The team/coaches are ready to win and are keeping things quiet
2) The team blows and they are limited "good" points to report

Side note: I played D3 FB in NJ and we had a spring games...like any other team there were injuries, but we played anyway. Seems weird that a D1 school, the only collegiate program in the state, would forgo a marketing opportunity to excite the fans. I attribute it to the lack of professionalism and business sense at UH.
Nice! :hello1:

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Txbow »

Yeah, but UH Football wasn't in dire straits like we are under Chow. The fanbase has been dwindling year after year with Chow. UH Football is the bread and butter of the athletic program.
IMO..it is a big deal.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Txbow wrote:
Yeah, but UH Football wasn't in dire straits like we are under Chow. The fanbase has been dwindling year after year with Chow. UH Football is the bread and butter of the athletic program.
IMO..it is a big deal.
Having a marketing avenue and not using it is poor business. Remember all that UH athletics is a business. Plus autograph sessions and meet and greets connect the fans with the players/coaches. Most importantly, the kids get the additional interaction, which may connect them to the team for life and hook them as fans - who knows maybe they'll play here bc of the experience. Did you read Milton's recalling of time spent going to UH games as a kid?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I went to the 2009 Spring Fling at Aloha Stadium. Players were there signing autographs.

It was in the afternoon. Fun times watching BRS, Dustin Blount, and Javonte Taylor showcasing their speed and getting us all excited but then for them to not really live up to that. They must've been going up against Tank Hopkins.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Traditions come with the consistency of doing the same things over and over again... We have little tradition.
Name changes... coaching changes... ha'a.. then no ha'a.. then ha'a.. win... win less.. no win... full of wind...
Scrimmage, then no scrimmage is announced and then they have a private scrimmage for friends and family only...
It's no longer Hawai'i's football team.. it's Chow's.

We'll never be like the big boys this way... they have more attendance for their spring fling than chow gets for a real game.