UH to be paid 1.2 Million for OSU game

Post by Drewster »

Class of 94'

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH to be paid 1.2 Million for OSU game

Post by chawan_cut »

so that'll help to pay some of the debt in this past fiscal year's books. but we'll still be in the red next year. unless Wisconsin is paying something similar.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Need the kala. Really need the kala.

And what football player wouldn't want to play against one of the best teams in the country, and at the Horseshoe?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

We need about three of these games a year.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

That would surely fund the entire athletic program. :hello1:

But get pounded in the meantime. :(

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but in this case, revenues generated by the athletic program (a state institution) does not go entirely back to the program. The state takes a lot of it. The same thing occurred back in June Jones Era as well. The state collects these revenues and UH has to submit annual funding request to pay for the program's budget. Only funding generated by private entities such as Ahahui Koa Anuenue can directly fund the athletic program without state intervention. This is partly the reason why funding generated during the Jones Era was practically unaccounted for.
Last edited by BullNuts808 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

If true, then bummer. Lose money.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

BullNuts808 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but in this case, revenues generated by the athletic program (a state institution) does not go entirely back to the program. The state takes a lot of it. The same thing occurred back in June Jones Era as well. The state collects these revenues and UH has to submit annual funding request to pay for the program's budget. Only funding generated by private entities such as Ahahui Koa Anuenue can directly fund the athletic program without state intervention. This is partly the reason why funding generated during the Jones Era was practically unaccounted for.
Yeah but it counts against the Athletic Department's expenses on paper. So, if the AD can keep his budget in the black? There's a chance he can justify change if the wins aren't there.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Too much energy is being spent on dealing with this issue. This is not just a UH issue. I don't understand how politicians and administrators can demand that UHAD become self sufficient when that isn't the norm and Hawaii has significant expense issues that other Universities don't have.

Just raise the athletic fee to $100 per semester and move on.

2013 article:
Just 23 of 228 athletics departments at NCAA Division I public schools generated enough money on their own to cover their expenses in 2012. Of that group, 16 also received some type of subsidy — and 10 of those 16 athletics departments received more subsidy money in 2012 than they did in 2011.

All 23 of the self-sufficient schools are from conferences whose champions automatically qualify for the Bowl Championship Series, which makes sense because that's where the money is.

Athletic fees:

Cincinnati $168 per semester 2013

Rutgers University and Washington State University, the schools charge each student nearly $1,000 in fees to support athletics. 2012

South Florida spends $16.6 million on athletics, almost entirely funded by student fees. South Florida's budget relies more on student fees to fund athletics than any other school in the Bloomberg report. 2012

In the 2010-11 academic year, the 227 public institutions in Division 1 of the National Collegiate Athletic Association collected more than $2 billion in athletic fees from their students -- or an average of more than $500 per enrollee -- according to research by Jeff Smith at the University of South Carolina Upstate.

Southern Illinois University - In 2005, the fee students pay to help fund the athletic department was $113 per year. One of almost a dozen fees students pay, it reached $235 by 2009. This school year it will be $352.80. Student fees account for more than half of the athletic department's revenue. 2010

2013 And the cost of these required athletic fees has skyrocketed, making college tuition-fee costs increasingly unaffordable. For example, Old Dominion University’s student fees jumped from $641 to $1,185 from 2004 to 2012 after the school decided to restart football.

What Florida college students pay for athletic fees, May 20, 2010
Florida A&M University, $271
Florida Atlantic University, $343
Florida Gulf Coast University, $373
Florida International University, $368
Florida State University, $162
New College of Florida*$89
University of Central Florida, $321
University of Florida, $46
University of North Florida, $321
University of South Florida, $302
University of West Florida, $341

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

TheDuke wrote:Too much energy is being spent on dealing with this issue. This is not just a UH issue. I don't understand how politicians and administrators can demand that UHAD become self sufficient when that isn't the norm and Hawaii has significant expense issues that other Universities don't have.

Just raise the athletic fee to $100 per semester and move on.
everyone here on this message board knows the wisdom behind raising the student fees, but the wannabe activists on campus and the wannabe politicians in the student assembly look at this issue as a convenient opportunity to feel important by speaking out against what they deem to be an "injustice", which causes any kind of raising of fees to get zero public support. UH doesn't help its own cause by raising tuition what seems like every year...

I would have gladly paid any student fee (Stafford loans!) to get the kind of access that the current students get and I would have went to every game possible... but I am not representative of the typical UH student and neither are you or anyone else on the message board, and that kinda sucks.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

poidog wrote: I would have gladly paid any student fee (Stafford loans!) to get the kind of access that the current students get and I would have went to every game possible... but I am not representative of the typical UH student and neither are you or anyone else on the message board, and that kinda sucks.
:( I'm empathetic to your dilemma poidog...most of the people on this board(I'm bold enough to say that majority of the SPORTHAWAII ohana are alumni of UH)have walked and worked thoses "student" shoes..and I'm really disturbed about the pathway or pathways the under grads must take to get a degree. And the cost of living here continues to be hard for everyone...so I feel for you.
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote:Too much energy is being spent on dealing with this issue. This is not just a UH issue. I don't understand how politicians and administrators can demand that UHAD become self sufficient when that isn't the norm and Hawaii has significant expense issues that other Universities don't have.
They don't care what other schools/states do. They only are worried about UH. The people in upper campus don't care about sports, only when they do good though. Like tehhehancellor being at the vb match last night.
ImageImage

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
BullNuts808 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but in this case, revenues generated by the athletic program (a state institution) does not go entirely back to the program. The state takes a lot of it. The same thing occurred back in June Jones Era as well. The state collects these revenues and UH has to submit annual funding request to pay for the program's budget. Only funding generated by private entities such as Ahahui Koa Anuenue can directly fund the athletic program without state intervention. This is partly the reason why funding generated during the Jones Era was practically unaccounted for.
Yeah but it counts against the Athletic Department's expenses on paper. So, if the AD can keep his budget in the black? There's a chance he can justify change if the wins aren't there.
Totally understand your point - "madeinhawaii". Mine's that we were "in the black" in 2007 and most of the revenue went to the state. In 5 years, the program is in deficit. If this was a real program or legitimate corporation, everyone heading the entity would probably be fired but not in UH. Most get promoted (just kidding...but you know what I mean). The point is the system is broke. Not saying that the UH administration is any better but the school needs to be somewhat financially autonomous from state gov otherwise you'll have an ocean of "redtape" and bureaucracy. Right now, everyone's blaming the UH Athletic Program but the situation is more toxic than that. There's just too much entities involved in this process.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

watching the ohio state spring game on t.v. over 76,000 raucous fans in the stadium, just for the spring game. hope to see both mauka and makai grandstands at ching field filled with hawaii fans on 02may.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

st808 wrote:watching the ohio state spring game on t.v. over 76,000 raucous fans in the stadium, just for the spring game. hope to see both mauka and makai grandstands at ching field filled with hawaii fans on 02may.
May 2? There is only one place I am scheduled to be on May 2 (in front of a TV set with friends, food, and beer) and I am not risking getting stuck in any cross-town traffic to get there.