Jake Cookus officially named Special Teams coach

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Jake Cookus officially named Special Teams coach

Post by 808Hawaii »

Good luck to Cookus. Can't help but feel he's here for only one season though.
I am the one who knocks.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

808Hawaii wrote:Good luck to Cookus. Can't help but feel he's here for only one season though.
Do you say that in all your post?? :roll:

I'm just glad the team kinda has a full staff now before Spring training, now this team can get the show on the road.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Makana wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:Good luck to Cookus. Can't help but feel he's here for only one season though.
Do you say that in all your post?? :roll:

I'm just glad the team kinda has a full staff now before Spring training, now this team can get the show on the road.
How do you keep so optimistic?
I am the one who knocks.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

Don't get me wrong, I didn't like a lot of things that Chow has done. I don't worry about what's going to happen in future seasons I only care about what's gonna happen this upcoming season.

Seriously if Chow has a winning season of 8-9 games would you want him fired or would you fire him?? As John Madden put it "winning is a good deodorant". I bet if Chow had a winning season people would just brush the past years under the rug. Weirder things have happen and it could happen.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Good luck to Coach Cookus and welcome to the Warriors!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Makana wrote:Don't get me wrong, I didn't like a lot of things that Chow has done. I don't worry about what's going to happen in future seasons I only care about what's gonna happen this upcoming season.

Seriously if Chow has a winning season of 8-9 games would you want him fired or would you fire him?? As John Madden put it "winning is a good deodorant". I bet if Chow had a winning season people would just brush the past years under the rug. Weirder things have happen and it could happen.
To me, it is not just a matter of winning and losing. Revenue is the most important thing, especially in this day of the program just trying to survive. Worst case scenario is backing our way into a 7-6 record. That deficit would still increase and Chow may be extended. That would be disastrous for the program, perhaps the death nail. I don't care what our record is. Even if we went 9-4, if revenue isn't where it was in 2012, to me, this season would be a failure. The fan base needs a new coach.
I am the one who knocks.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It is about winning and it's about being in the black and not about revenue.

We were in the red every year but 2007. If you aren't in the black you need to either be subsidized or you go out of business.

Even winning won't save the program in the long run. You either move to a Conference that has money (and that takes financial commitment) or there will be no UH football in the future.

And Welcome Jake Cookus...........help us win next year and help us build a winning program.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Welcome to Coach Jake Cookus! I sense a winner here, and potential head coach someday. In high school he played QB and DB, and led his school to two state titles in Oregon. Played DB at Oregon State and was team captain his senior year. Grad assistant at Kentucky, DB, special teams coach and co-defensive coordinator at Weber State before DB and special teams coach at Montana.

NC's coaching changes have resulted in the addition of very experienced coordinators and youthful yet experienced assistants (two who are former Warriors) to go along with NFL veterans with lengthy careers like Chris Naeole and Kurt Gouveia (i.e., guys who learned and know their craft with tons of credibility). This is the coaching staff that should have been assembled at the beginning. To have them together for Spring Practice is a plus. While I do view things through green tinted glasses, I really believe in this staff to coach up the Warriors. And with the importance of QB play, we have Max Wittek from central casting and a "grizzled" returnee in Ikaika Woolsey who paid his dues last year. UH is generally a young team to me, with another year of physical and mental maturity set to kick in. I think we still need some help at NG/DT, but expect Coach Mason to work with whoever steps up to the plate. What's not to like? This is the most upbeat I've been since NC came on board.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:Don't get me wrong, I didn't like a lot of things that Chow has done. I don't worry about what's going to happen in future seasons I only care about what's gonna happen this upcoming season.

What does Jake Cookus being named special teams coach have to do with Norman impossibly winning a season for the first time into his fourth year?!!! Does Norm Chow even know this guy?

Why are we so excited about an assistant coach from the Big Sky conference?

I'll continue to follow Warrior football, but it will never be because of Norm Chow. I suspect a lot of these coaches are just taking the next step up the ladder. We need a head coach to keep them around for awhile. It ain't gonna be Norm.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

SundayJam wrote:

What does Jake Cookus being named special teams coach have to do with Norman impossibly winning a season for the first time into his fourth year?!!! Does Norm Chow even know this guy?

Young coaches are always on the move. They are here to learn, get experience, build their coaching network and resume and to make money if they can. Coaching for UH is not a resume builder. You can disagree but coaching for Norm Chow still is a resume builder. Norm Chow is still very respected in the coaching fraternity. And UH doesn't have the $$$ to pay their coaches and the cost of living doesn't help a coach or his family move up the economic food chain. More seasoned coaches will stay if they are financially st and in the twilight of their career. Meaning they are not climbing the ladder.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I'm with you. I am counting on Witek. Key players will have to stay healthy. I see 5-7 wins. With a little luck maybe 8.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

TheDuke wrote:It is about winning and it's about being in the black and not about revenue.

We were in the red every year but 2007. If you aren't in the black you need to either be subsidized or you go out of business.

Even winning won't save the program in the long run. You either move to a Conference that has money (and that takes financial commitment) or there will be no UH football in the future.

And Welcome Jake Cookus...........help us win next year and help us build a winning program.
We don't have to run in the black to survive. Only a handful of schools actually run their athletic program in the black. And look at all the survivors. We just need the State to subsidize the UH (and UHAD) to keep it running like they've always done.

Win and they will come? If you have an entertaining product or win long enough. There's no chance of fans turning out in droves for a Chow led team in 2015.
I am the one who knocks.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:

Why are we so excited about an assistant coach from the Big Sky conference?

I'll continue to follow Warrior football, but it will never be because of Norm Chow. I suspect a lot of these coaches are just taking the next step up the ladder. We need a head coach to keep them around for awhile. It ain't gonna be Norm.
I think you need to go back and re-read this whole thread maybe you can put two and two together. :P
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum