When a Head Coach knows when it's time to step down

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

When a Head Coach knows when it's time to step down

Post by BigWave96744 »

This sounds eerily similar to our past few years :o
Arkansas’ Dan Enos says being a head coach isn’t ‘all it’s cracked up to be’

Posted by Brent Sobleski on February 19, 2015, 9:16 PM EST

After four years of being the head coach of the Central Michigan Chippewas, Dan Enos had enough.

Enos surprised many when he decided to step down as a head coach and accept the offensive coordinator position with the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The constant spotlight as a head coach was apparently too much for Enos.

“At one point in my career, I wanted to be a head coach, and that was the whole thing I dreamed about and talked about,” Enos told SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly, via CoachingSearch.com. “I’ve been a head coach. The one thing I’ll say about a head coach: It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I had a coach tell me one that, one time, a very successful NFL head coach told him that. ‘Remember, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.’ That hit home with me.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -up-to-be/

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: When a Head Coach knows when it's time to step down

Post by 808Hawaii »

BigWave96744 wrote:This sounds eerily similar to our past few years :o
Arkansas’ Dan Enos says being a head coach isn’t ‘all it’s cracked up to be’

Posted by Brent Sobleski on February 19, 2015, 9:16 PM EST

After four years of being the head coach of the Central Michigan Chippewas, Dan Enos had enough.

Enos surprised many when he decided to step down as a head coach and accept the offensive coordinator position with the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The constant spotlight as a head coach was apparently too much for Enos.

“At one point in my career, I wanted to be a head coach, and that was the whole thing I dreamed about and talked about,” Enos told SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly, via CoachingSearch.com. “I’ve been a head coach. The one thing I’ll say about a head coach: It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. I had a coach tell me one that, one time, a very successful NFL head coach told him that. ‘Remember, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.’ That hit home with me.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -up-to-be/
But Enos is smart. Chow? Not so much.
I am the one who knocks.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

there is a difference. With Witek and with the progress of the players and the team Chow does believe that his 2015 team will win this year and they are moving in the right direction.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

TheDuke wrote:there is a difference. With Witek and with the progress of the players and the team Chow does believe that his 2015 team will win this year and they are moving in the right direction.
The defense is rebuilding, especially up front, and that unit kept UH in most games last year, not the offense. Without Iosefa in the running game, I think 2015 will be as equally rough as any other Chow season. I think Wittek's talent is overblown. Hell, the best defensive performance of the Chow era came against Wittek.

Every year there is a new shiny transfer QB that Tsai and everyone else raves about, then the kid goes out there on gameday and is a far cry of the QB play UH fans have come to know in love. I'm not falling for that one again.

Hawaii will be giving up choke points, and struggling to score. 2015 could be the disaster finale like the 98' Von Appen season.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

TheDuke wrote:there is a difference. With Witek and with the progress of the players and the team Chow does believe that his 2015 team will win this year and they are moving in the right direction.
That's what he believed with Taylor Graham. :roll:
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

UH Rainbow Warriors, rebuilding since 2012. :-?
I am the one who knocks.

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

I notice that the "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" line is now out of date, leaving the apologists with nothing left to say. The sad thing is that this was obvious to many from the first semester and so many resources have been wasted.

I just hope that for the sake of the players, there are some bright spots for 2015 and some hope for a re-birth for 2016. Its the die-hards, family and friends who will see the 2015 season through.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Hawkpeter wrote:I notice that the "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" line is now out of date, leaving the apologists with nothing left to say. The sad thing is that this was obvious to many from the first semester and so many resources have been wasted.

I just hope that for the sake of the players, there are some bright spots for 2015 and some hope for a re-birth for 2016. Its the die-hards, family and friends who will see the 2015 season through.
How's about the "we have a tough schedule" line? SMH.
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

It seems to me that our Oline need at least one full season of playing together to form a cohesive unit that can block, push or pull effectively to move the ball. If we play the way we have been under Chow. I see little chance for improvement.

We need more receivers that can get off the line quickly, shed blockers, and get open within 3 seconds. Or more creative plays/routes to make that happen. Also, we need receivers who will go up for the ball and come down with it even when they hear the sounds of footsteps approaching -- not just one or two, but four or more.

Dline, we lost good players there. Who will step up for Yap and Samia?

RBs, we should be okay there...

FBs, TEs...?

And all these guys need to learn to work with the quarterback.
Kickers? breaking in both this season.

Seems we have as many or more questions this season.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

808Hawaii wrote:
Hawkpeter wrote:I notice that the "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" line is now out of date, leaving the apologists with nothing left to say. The sad thing is that this was obvious to many from the first semester and so many resources have been wasted.

How's about the "we have a tough schedule" line? SMH.

Touche'

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My timeline is still on track. I predicted 3 wins last year. Maybe 4 if Graham started and Iosefa stayed healthy. I've always stated that it takes 3-4 years to completely rebuild a program. Chows recruits (excluding transfers and JCs) are some Jrs but the majority are redshirt sophs, sophs and redshirt freshmen.

I've stated that if Witek starts that we will have a 5-7 win season with a very difficult schedule.

My "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" is still in play. Maybe one day you will have a better understanding of American football.

You always talk about "for the sake of the players" when you don't know the players don't drop the line. And I'm sure that they don't know you and they wouldn't want you representing or speaking for them.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

and if you don't know what a tough schedule looks like you don't know football.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

and what is your win prediction?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

TheDuke wrote:My timeline is still on track. I predicted 3 wins last year. Maybe 4 if Graham started and Iosefa stayed healthy. I've always stated that it takes 3-4 years to completely rebuild a program. Chows recruits (excluding transfers and JCs) are some Jrs but the majority are redshirt sophs, sophs and redshirt freshmen.

I've stated that if Witek starts that we will have a 5-7 win season with a very difficult schedule.

My "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" is still in play. Maybe one day you will have a better understanding of American football.

You always talk about "for the sake of the players" when you don't know the players don't drop the line. And I'm sure that they don't know you and they wouldn't want you representing or speaking for them.

For his kind of football, I don't forsee Chow getting "his" kind of players anytime in the near future -- at least not here, not as a mid-major. He may get 80% for the first team once every decade, but not enough to create depth in enough positions.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Chow has the deck stacked against him. Not only because of the obvious but because I hear the new coaches want to run the spread offensively and run 3 man front defensively. Although I am extremely excited about the transition to a high passing game, this will be Chow's nail in the coffin. Very risky, but Chow has nothing to lose. After hearing of his "micro" management style I just can't picture anyone running his offense.