*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: When a Head Coach knows when it's time to step down

Post by J-Rod »

Makana wrote:
J-Rod wrote:2015 Football Schedule

Colorado +7 (About right)
@Ohio State +38 (Maybe a bit too high)
UC-Davis -2 (I'll go a few points higher)
@Wisconsin +21 (Right on)
UL-Monroe -3 (A little higher)
Air Force +7 (About right)
Fresno State +7 (About right)
San Diego State +4 (SDSU by 11)
San Jose State -3 (About right)
@Boise State +14 (Way off. Broncos will be 4 TD favorite, 2nd best team UH plays all season)
@Nevada +8 (About right)
@New Mexico -7 (Way off. Lobos could go bowling, sleeper MW team in 2015. UH will be underdog, and could surprisingly get blown out)
@UNLV -3 (Swap the minus for a plus)
2015 odds :P
I added my comments. 8)

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

We will see. Now you are resorting to name calling. :)
Hawkpeter wrote:
TheDuke wrote:My timeline is still on track. I predicted 3 wins last year. Maybe 4 if Graham started and Iosefa stayed healthy. I've always stated that it takes 3-4 years to completely rebuild a program. Chows recruits (excluding transfers and JCs) are some Jrs but the majority are redshirt sophs, sophs and redshirt freshmen.

I've stated that if Witek starts that we will have a 5-7 win season with a very difficult schedule.

My "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" is still in play. Maybe one day you will have a better understanding of American football.

You always talk about "for the sake of the players" when you don't know the players don't drop the line. And I'm sure that they don't know you and they wouldn't want you representing or speaking for them.

Give me a break. He is a strength coach. More people on this site know a lot more about American football them he does. And how much interaction has he had with current players? How many practices has he seen? How many real games has he seen? Has he talked to any of the coaches? Players? There are people on this board with 20-40 years of American football experience and have actually played the game. Does he know more about the game then current UH coaches?
You always know when you're on the right track when they start with the ad hominem argument :D

The salient point regarding my rebuking the 'you've gotta wait till he gets his guys' maxim is that even if you're right Mr Duke, and it was always going to take 2012, 13', 14', 15', 16' to 'get his guys' then would that be any sort of good and useful plan that UH Athletics could withstand? The results speak for themselves, if you're that much of a football masochist then that's your business, but you should acknowledge the consequences of that to all stakeholders as I have.

I agree that the 2015 schedule is very difficult and I would say around 4 wins to match my 2014 prediction would be about right.

If you'd like to talk X's and O's I'd be happy to. I'd direct you to the articles that I write on football but they're behind a paywall. Do you want to discuss the merits of locking the RB into a formation? or maybe how to package split zone with multiple passing options. Pattern reading from quarters coverage? Admittedly, I haven't been to a UH practice for some time, I was too busy last year taking in practices at schools in the Big 12, SEC, and AAC last year.

If I care about player welfare that's my business, and it is sincere, I put my time and money where my mouth is. As far as knowing as much as UH coaches, my question is, 'Which coaches'? The 12 that have already moved on or the ones now? We need some clarification on this? But have you had to sit down with player parents and reason with them and explain the systematic failure of this program? 'drop the line'; try counseling a player on how he can talk to his team mate about standing up for his rights with a coach and the compliance staff. Or listen to him being worried about the mental state of a team mate.

Regardless of all that, you don't need to be an engineer to know that this bridge has collapsed and this HC should have stepped down long ago. Get a clue. Fool.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
TheDuke wrote:From what I've read the new OC averaged 300+ yards a game passing but also averaged 200 yards rushing a game.

BullNuts808 wrote:Chow has the deck stacked against him. Not only because of the obvious but because I hear the new coaches want to run the spread offensively and run 3 man front defensively. Although I am extremely excited about the transition to a high passing game, this will be Chow's nail in the coffin. Very risky, but Chow has nothing to lose. After hearing of his "micro" management style I just can't picture anyone running his offense.
Assuming Chow will let the new OC run the offense and draw up the plays, we might have a chance to win more. But the last OC we had got let go before he had a chance to start. So we shall see.
Chow seems to be digging deep because I've been reading about the OC and he seems to be the exact opposite of Chow. So you're right should be interesting to see if they get along.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

TheDuke wrote:My timeline is still on track. I predicted 3 wins last year. Maybe 4 if Graham started and Iosefa stayed healthy. I've always stated that it takes 3-4 years to completely rebuild a program. Chows recruits (excluding transfers and JCs) are some Jrs but the majority are redshirt sophs, sophs and redshirt freshmen.

I've stated that if Witek starts that we will have a 5-7 win season with a very difficult schedule.

My "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" is still in play. Maybe one day you will have a better understanding of American football.

You always talk about "for the sake of the players" when you don't know the players don't drop the line. And I'm sure that they don't know you and they wouldn't want you representing or speaking for them.

Hawkpeter wrote:I notice that the "you've gotta wait till he gets his guys" line is now out of date, leaving the apologists with nothing left to say. The sad thing is that this was obvious to many from the first semester and so many resources have been wasted.

I just hope that for the sake of the players, there are some bright spots for 2015 and some hope for a re-birth for 2016. Its the die-hards, family and friends who will see the 2015 season through.
Anyone still apologizing for Chow is the blindest of the blind. Very difficult schedule? I only see three very difficult opponents, one tough opponent and nine cream puffs. The problem is we're creamier than those nine. Very difficult schedule? Try posting that claim on a P5 teams board and see what they say. SMH.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

And his type of players? Chow cannot even get his type of coaches.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:"We just gotta work harder..."

-Every Norm Chow post-game interview I can remember
Stop working harder. And start working smarter!
I am the one who knocks.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

808Hawaii wrote:
poidog wrote:"We just gotta work harder..."

-Every Norm Chow post-game interview I can remember
Stop working harder. And start working smarter!
Yep, you can only work so hard. Sometimes gotta work smarter.
ImageImage