Tourism + UH Sports

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Tourism + UH Sports

Post by chawan_cut »

Thought about this after seeing a tour company bring a bus load of tourists to two of the recent home UH men's basketball games.
The first time I was already in the arena and saw a tour guide with her tour banner follow me sign with a bunch of Japanese tourists following her on the concourse level.
Second was coming up Lower campus road by the back stairs to L&L and the tour bus was dropping them off and the tour guide was handing out tickets. (I was tempted to pretend to be one of them and ask for one in Japanese but thought otherwise. ha.)

Maybe UH should partner up with the HTA and bring more tourists to the games. Include it in part of their Hawaii experience. These were older tourists, but I'm sure some of them have some sort of interest in what American sports are like. This was just one small group of tourists at the SSC, but imagine if you could pre-sell a bunch of tickets to football games? That way in lean times like this, we'll still have some sort of guaranteed crowd with the tourists and not be in too big a hole with the budget? That way we're not just asking for gimme gimmes for money but give them something in return.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Tourism + UH Sports

Post by Palolo_2LA »

chawan_cut wrote:Thought about this after seeing a tour company bring a bus load of tourists to two of the recent home UH men's basketball games.
The first time I was already in the arena and saw a tour guide with her tour banner follow me sign with a bunch of Japanese tourists following her on the concourse level.
Second was coming up Lower campus road by the back stairs to L&L and the tour bus was dropping them off and the tour guide was handing out tickets. (I was tempted to pretend to be one of them and ask for one in Japanese but thought otherwise. ha.)

Maybe UH should partner up with the HTA and bring more tourists to the games. Include it in part of their Hawaii experience. These were older tourists, but I'm sure some of them have some sort of interest in what American sports are like. This was just one small group of tourists at the SSC, but imagine if you could pre-sell a bunch of tickets to football games? That way in lean times like this, we'll still have some sort of guaranteed crowd with the tourists and not be in too big a hole with the budget? That way we're not just asking for gimme gimmes for money but give them something in return.
HTA doesn't want to acknowledge the reality of the importance UH sports has on the state's tourism...some 200 Million + of indirect and direct spending (per SB article). Someone has to hold their feet to the fire. What is Bumpy K. doing these days?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

This is in Associate AD John McNamara's area of responsibility. 'Nuff said.

:tongue:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

saw some japanese tour groups at football games last year also. thought that was an excellent idea. need to put u.h. football into japanese tourist publications like the kcc farmer's market and leonard's bakery. we could really use them sept.03 thursday to boost attendance. but, you'd have to upgrade the quality of the food available at the stadium, big time.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

if you are going to bring in a tour bus..........do a tailgate.......the total experience, bring hibachis..or some super bentos.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

TheDuke wrote:if you are going to bring in a tour bus..........do a tailgate.......the total experience, bring hibachis..or some super bentos.
+ A large tent with Hawaiian entertainment, food, a meet and greet with the coaches/players after the game for a fee...target all Asian tourist, so there are prospects for donations, travel company sponsorships and most importantly UH games televised or played in Asia. UH can provide a football outlet for Asia.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: