question: NCAA rules

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

question: NCAA rules

Post by UnBiasFan »

Does a private citizen have an obligation to know anything about NCAA rules? I understand the ignorance of the laws is never a defense. But as far as I know these are not laws.

I went to the NCAA web site and it says that the university must insure those members of university staff, student-athletes and other individuals or groups representing the university’s athletic interests comply with NCAA rules and regulations. As a member of the NCAA, the university is responsible for the actions of its alumni, supporters and fans.

I thought that the government cannot investigate people unless they are enabled to do so through proper authority (laws). Can someone explain how a public university is responsible for fans even if they are never at an event?

I found this from a UofMichigan site http://michiganhockey.net/compliance/#.VN4TjvnF90x : " Also, keep in mind that someone can be both a member of the media and a booster, depending on the context. As a member of the media, you would expect that someone would be seeking information, not pushing a particular agenda. So if a media member/booster contacted a prospect to say “I hear you are leaning towards Michigan, would you care to comment” that would be an appropriate contact by a member of the media. If that same individual sent a message saying, “I hear you are leaning towards Michigan, I think you would look great in Maize and Blue. Is it true?” that would be impermissible contact by a booster because they are encouraging the prospect to attend Michigan. It all depends on the context."

This is all really strange to me.

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Re: question: NCAA rules

Post by travo66 »

Yeah, its an incredibly stupid rule. I'm a teacher and USED to encourage my student athletes to go to certain colleges, but have backed off since I learned of this rule. Why can't I encourage them to go somewhere?

Maybe we should all become "boosters" of big name schools recruiting our prospects and encourage them to go to that school thereby violating NCAA rules and making them ineligible to go to that school. Then we'll get all the 5-star recruits for ourselves!
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: question: NCAA rules

Post by UnBiasFan »

travo66 wrote:Yeah, its an incredibly stupid rule. I'm a teacher and USED to encourage my student athletes to go to certain colleges, but have backed off since I learned of this rule. Why can't I encourage them to go somewhere?

Maybe we should all become "boosters" of big name schools recruiting our prospects and encourage them to go to that school thereby violating NCAA rules and making them ineligible to go to that school. Then we'll get all the 5-star recruits for ourselves!
Interesting point. With social media and crowd-funding there could be a proliferation of sites to provide encouragement and get money into the hands of students of "other programs" that need some help. :lol: