Hawaii hires Bailey as OC, Mason as DC

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Hawaii hires Bailey as OC, Mason as DC?

Post by UnBiasFan »

The JJ connection is encouraging. Sounds like Norm Chow is talking to June Jones. And you can tell from the JJ interview there is some respect there.

Question for the rules experts --- Is Norm Chow allowed to talk to someone like JJ about whatever he wants without running afoul of some bullcraap NCAA rule that tells them who, when, what and why they are allowed to talk to people?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote:The JJ connection is encouraging. Sounds like Norm Chow is talking to June Jones. And you can tell from the JJ interview there is some respect there.

Question for the rules experts --- Is Norm Chow allowed to talk to someone like JJ about whatever he wants without running afoul of some bullcraap NCAA rule that tells them who, when, what and why they are allowed to talk to people?
Chow can talk to whomever he wants. JJ used to talk to Bill Walsh. Coaches talk to other coaches all of the time.
ImageImage

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

It is just another step towards the inevitable anyways after next year.
NC won't be around and neither will any of these hires.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

I like the Bailey hiring they went from 3-9 to 8-4 however not sure on Mason since they couldn't stop anyone at SMU last year. We shall see... To me if you're going to hire a guy like Mason, you should have hired Miano as Defensive Coordinator since Miano can recruit the local guys.
Offensively, if the OL can get better with another year of Naoele's coaching - I think our offense will put up some points this year with Wittek - opposing defenses won't be able to stack the line like they were doing with Woolsey. Melvin Davis and Paul Harris could be Thunder & Lightning but Davis is a Big Back who runs like a Tailback also. Harris has some shiftiness to him. Vasquez combined with Ewaliko for speed and Kemp with size, I think our offense will be Great even against Ohio State and Wisconsin...
Defense will be the question, can they stop opposing offenses??? We will know from that first game against Colorado...

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Too bad that they didn't go after Mason when Odum was there. Maybe we could have got both.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse

Post by Irse »

quikfeat wrote:I like the Bailey hiring they went from 3-9 to 8-4 however not sure on Mason since they couldn't stop anyone at SMU last year. We shall see... To me if you're going to hire a guy like Mason, you should have hired Miano as Defensive Coordinator since Miano can recruit the local guys.
Offensively, if the OL can get better with another year of Naoele's coaching - I think our offense will put up some points this year with Wittek - opposing defenses won't be able to stack the line like they were doing with Woolsey. Melvin Davis and Paul Harris could be Thunder & Lightning but Davis is a Big Back who runs like a Tailback also. Harris has some shiftiness to him. Vasquez combined with Ewaliko for speed and Kemp with size, I think our offense will be Great even against Ohio State and Wisconsin...
Defense will be the question, can they stop opposing offenses??? We will know from that first game against Colorado...
Not too worried about the local recruiting with this staff because I'm not too confident that they'll be around after next season. I think last year's SMU defense was more of an aberration than the norm. Their O was so bad that the opposition just had too many chances and I'm sure the D got worn down by the end of the game. In other years, the D was pretty good. I actually like both of these hires and think that they're about the best we can get considering the situation at Manoa.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

poidog wrote:maybe they wanted someone with "Interim Head Coach experience"
:lol: UH administration is fully prepared to make a move after UH loses at Ohio State by 87 points.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:The JJ connection is encouraging. Sounds like Norm Chow is talking to June Jones. And you can tell from the JJ interview there is some respect there.

Chow can talk to whomever he wants. JJ used to talk to Bill Walsh. Coaches talk to other coaches all of the time.
Sorry, the rules are confusing for me. I thought they were complaining that Gib Arnold had an extra guy coacing.

Irse

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote:
Irse wrote: Chow can talk to whomever he wants. JJ used to talk to Bill Walsh. Coaches talk to other coaches all of the time.
Sorry, the rules are confusing for me. I thought they were complaining that Gib Arnold had an extra guy coacing.
Coaches can talk to each other, doesn't mean they are both coaching the players.
ImageImage

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

I like both hiring's, hopefully it was a talent issue with Mason. I'm glad they're sticking with the 3-4, IMO I feel it's a better defense when used right.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

J-Rod wrote:
poidog wrote:maybe they wanted someone with "Interim Head Coach experience"
:lol: UH administration is fully prepared to make a move after UH loses at Ohio State by 87 points.
I'm not entirely joking! You want a qualified assistant that can take over if/when they fire Chow in-season... and potentially work with Chow's replacement.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Jedi Warrior 50 wrote:The whole point is that these coordinators are experienced on their craft. Unlike Jordan Wynn, we have an experienced and seasoned Offensive Coordinator. To improve any teams offensive rankings and performance on any level is very impressive for me. Also, the Defensive Coordinator who served under June Jones, was recommended by JJ to Norm on his background. As others stated, SMU's defense shut down Nevada and Fresno State in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl Games as SMU thrashed both of those teams. I like this hire by Chow. Remember, in the early part of 1992, Coach Bob Wagner hired an uprising and young Defensive Coordinator named Chris Smeland. Coach Smeland gave Hawaii a great defensive turnaround from a horrible 1991 Season. In that season (1992), Hawaii won the WAC and the Holiday Bowl. Both of these hirings are nice as both of them have an upside as well. The only thing they may lack is the reputation for recruiting very great talent. Yet, they will learn to convince and sell the school to these young student athletes. This is a nice hire. Now, time to find the Defensive Secondary and Special teams Coach individually or a dual purpose coach who can perform those 2-roles :brilsmurf: :hello1: :boxing: :read: :angel7: :D :thumbup: :footballhelmet: :car8: :werecomingforyou: :leftfighter3: :wav: :whipitgood: :violent3: :zook: :dubthum: :firedevil: :grouphuuug: :flag202: :flame:
Offensively, Bailey appears to be an upgrade over Wynn. Defensively, Mason for Clune is about even. So we may have improved about one or two steps. But if Chow had any real network of friends in the business commiserate to his 40 years in the business, we would be improving by ten steps.

Recruiting? Chow and his coaches will not be around for any more recruiting. They choose to be here so they can collect a salary for the ten months or so.
I am the one who knocks.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

Makana wrote:I'm just gonna say this......at least they aren't GA's.....be happpy!!!:)
amen!
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

chawan_cut wrote:
Makana wrote:I'm just gonna say this......at least they aren't GA's.....be happpy!!!:)
amen!
All depends on how you look at it. After another disasterous season, they all may be Gone Again.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Today is the last day of the DC job posting. Formal announcement of hiring after the posting closes today, or tomorrow?