New DC & DB coach now could be selected as early as 2/12/15

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Chow'sNextQB
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Please hire Rocky Seto as the DC

Post by Chow'sNextQB »

Would love this move, Carroll is really high on Seto tho...what are the chances of this happening?

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

He is a good D coach. But no way we can afford him.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

He would be crazy to take this job. Would he even consider it? I would take a look at this guy.

http://www.goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/c ... ohn00.html
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Hmm this guy seems good. But why would he come to Hawaii? We should just offer him a head coaching position if that's the case because I don't think he will come to Hawaii just to become a defense coordinator

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Egonator wrote:Hmm this guy seems good. But why would he come to Hawaii? We should just offer him a head coaching position if that's the case because I don't think he will come to Hawaii just to become a defense coordinator
He worked with Norm at USC and it could be his shot of being a D1 DC and groomed to be our next HC (dreaming)

hawaiian
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Options for our New DC

Post by hawaiian »

If Daronte' Jones is interested, I would call him first! Quickly, before the ink dries (in Wisconsin).

Offer the max deal to him (for the position)...hope it's at least 250K with incentives for 3 years!

Defensive Coordinator/Associate Head Coach Daronte' Jones...sounds good to me!

Let him find his own DB coach too!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: New DC

Post by UnBiasFan »

There is no athletic director. Just a committee.

The good news is that there will be lots of parking available at the games.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

BigWave96744 wrote:
Egonator wrote:Hmm this guy seems good. But why would he come to Hawaii? We should just offer him a head coaching position if that's the case because I don't think he will come to Hawaii just to become a defense coordinator
He worked with Norm at USC and it could be his shot of being a D1 DC and groomed to be our next HC (dreaming)
There are no Hawaii connections on his resume. He would be another coach that has worked in great programs but unproven as someone that could lead a team at our level of recruiting.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

hawaiian wrote:If Daronte' Jones is interested, I would call him first! Quickly, before the ink dries (in Wisconsin).

Offer the max deal to him (for the position)...hope it's at least 250K with incentives for 3 years!

Defensive Coordinator/Associate Head Coach Daronte' Jones...sounds good to me!

Let him find his own DB coach too!
Previous DC got $160,000
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

This is going to sound totally far-fetched……but maybe not so much after all…..given UH’s financial situation……and Chow’s current situation (entering 4th year of his 5=year contract)……and considering some other related-circumstances……

Given that this coming season is gonna be Chow’s make-or-break season (i.e., either renewed or fired after this coming season), there really is no incentive for any currently employed college assistant coach to take the DC position and/or even the DB assistant coach position……since they would have to relocate to the islands……potentially just for 1 year (if Chow fired after this coming season)…..with limited assistant coaching salaries under the UH system…….coupled with Hawaii’s high-cost of living.

Consider the following facts……
– Cal Lee was employed under the UH system for 9 years (from 2003 through 2011)……and still needs 1 more year of UH service to become vested for retirement benefits under the UH system……which is the one of the reasons why he was hoping to be retained by Chow.
– Cal Lee is personal friend of Chow.
– Cal Lee is a defensive coach who is still actively coaching as the HC at Saint Louis School.
– Cal Lee remains highly respected among the local HS football community.
– Cal Lee also coached Rich Miano at Kaiser HS.
– Cal Lee coached together with Rich Miano at UH for 9 years.
– Rich Miano remains in touch with Cal Lee.
– Rich Miano has a desire to remain close to the UH football scene.
– As a former player, Rich Miano wants to the see the UH football program succeed.
– Rich Miano does not desire to coach at any other FBS school on the mainland.
– Both Cal Lee and Rich Miano will continue be life-long residents of the State of Hawaii.

Given these facts, it’s maybe not so far-fetched that…….Cal Lee might be able to convince Rich Miano to take the DB assistant coach position…….IF he himself were offered the DC position by Chow.

Not saying that this is what Chow should be aiming for……but don’t really see that he will have many desirable alternative options…….since no obvious incentives as to why any desirable and currently employed college coaches……that Chow knows and/or has worked with……would be willing to risk taking the DC and DB coaching positions for potentially just 1 year.

Just saying that…….this just could end up being the scenario……so maybe no so far-fetched as it sounds……once the facts are collectively considered.

Irse

Post by Irse »

kapakahi wrote:This is going to sound totally far-fetched……but maybe not so much after all…..given UH’s financial situation……and Chow’s current situation (entering 4th year of his 5=year contract)……and considering some other related-circumstances……

Given that this coming season is gonna be Chow’s make-or-break season (i.e., either renewed or fired after this coming season), there really is no incentive for any currently employed college assistant coach to take the DC position and/or even the DB assistant coach position……since they would have to relocate to the islands……potentially just for 1 year (if Chow fired after this coming season)…..with limited assistant coaching salaries under the UH system…….coupled with Hawaii’s high-cost of living.

Consider the following facts……
Cal Lee was employed under the UH system for 9 years (from 2003 through 2011)……and still needs 1 more year of UH service to become vested for retirement benefits under the UH system……which is the one of the reasons why he was hoping to be retained by Chow.
– Cal Lee is personal friend of Chow.
– Cal Lee is a defensive coach who is still actively coaching as the HC at Saint Louis School.
– Cal Lee remains highly respected among the local HS football community.
– Cal Lee also coached Rich Miano at Kaiser HS.
– Cal Lee coached together with Rich Miano at UH for 9 years.
– Rich Miano remains in touch with Cal Lee.
– Rich Miano has a desire to remain close to the UH football scene.
– As a former player, Rich Miano wants to the see the UH football program succeed.
– Rich Miano does not desire to coach at any other FBS school on the mainland.
– Both Cal Lee and Rich Miano will continue be life-long residents of the State of Hawaii.

Given these facts, it’s maybe not so far-fetched that…….Cal Lee might be able to convince Rich Miano to take the DB assistant coach position…….IF he himself were offered the DC position by Chow.

Not saying that this is what Chow should be aiming for……but don’t really see that he will have many desirable alternative options…….since no obvious incentives as to why any desirable and currently employed college coaches……that Chow knows and/or has worked with……would be willing to risk taking the DC and DB coaching positions for potentially just 1 year.

Just saying that…….this just could end up being the scenario……so maybe no so far-fetched as it sounds……once the facts are collectively considered.
I thought it had to be 10 years of continuous service or is it different between UH and the state.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Irse wrote:I thought it had to be 10 years of continuous service or is it different between UH and the state.
Doesn't have to be continuous. Coaches are in a unique category.....unique HGEA bargaining unit under the UH system.....different from the State and/or City.

Irse

Post by Irse »

I think I would rather have Rich Ellerson.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote:I think I would rather have Rich Ellerson.
Same here. He runs the 3-4 so it would't be much of a change for the players. He was one of the best DCs while he was here. He also did well at Arizona. If he comes it will be for the right reasons.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: