Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

The Next Group of Non Sports PPl set to Select the Next AD

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Is it a mystery why UH can't select the best candidate? What does a professor and Physicians know about running an Athletic Dept? Look @ the committee listed below - no one with sports experience - excluding the Asst AD...This is a joke. Looks like the type of ppl who voted for annexation or make decisions to go back to "Rainbows".

Warren H. Haruki, president and CEO of Grove Farm Co. and chairman and CEO of Maui Land & Pineapple Co

John Dean, chairman and CEO, Central Pacific Bank;

David Ericson, faculty athletics representative and professor in the College of Education, UH Manoa;

Dr. Elizabeth M. Ignacio, IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health LLC, assistant professor in the Department of Surgery, UH John A. Burns School of Medicine, surgical director at Queen's Center for Sports Medicine;

Marilyn Moniz-Kahoohanohano, assistant athletics director, Intercollegiate Athletics, UH Manoa;

Amanda Paterson, director of compliance, Intercollegiate Athletics at UH Manoa;

Allen Uyeda, retired president and CEO, First Insurance Co. of Hawaii;

Dr. Kelley Withy, professor at UH John A. Burns School of Medicine.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: The Next Group of Non Sports PPl set to Select the Next

Post by poidog »

one positive - it isn't the group that selected the last one.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I think I can pick a better selection committee at a local sports bar.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

say what you will, but i like this committee better than the "search firm" that found us ben jay.

managerr
All-conference
All-conference

Post by managerr »

No athletes and no coaches, but at least people somewhat close to the university system.

Not everyone needs to know about sports to select an AD, that's why there's a committee. Leaders at the highest level who put together their own leadership teams are good selections too.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Conflict of interest in the two already in the UHAD. :-?
I am the one who knocks.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

managerr wrote:No athletes and no coaches, but at least people somewhat close to the university system.

Not everyone needs to know about sports to select an AD, that's why there's a committee. Leaders at the highest level who put together their own leadership teams are good selections too.
I am in operations and program management and have built teams in NY and LA, so I know about creating teams and selecting candidates (+ have an MBA). If you don't have a strong understanding or prior experience of the position you are filling, you add tons of risk.

CEO's are high level people, whom almost never are involved in HR/recruiting. They may recommended a resource they worked with previously, but that's the extent of their involvement. They are also removed from the day-to-day processes. They build the vision of the company and goals.

I strongly disagree with the notion that a doctor, professor, CEO or other business ppl know anything about running an athletic dept. Also, for profit companies and state entities are very different in structure, operation, rules, etc. No direct exposure and lack of knowledge in any scenario is a $hit show if you need to make an important decision.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i'm pretty sure this group already has a short list of people they are going to consider and most of what they are going to do is see how these candidates hold up when asked questions by a bunch of smart guys. When JD was fired, it was sudden and unplanned so they brought in a search firm to scour the land, far and wide, to find a compelling candidate. This situation is different, because EVERYONE has known for a while now that Jay was going to be gone at some point and I'm sure everyone who is interested in the position has made their interest known through "back channels" or "powerful friends". I don't see this as a bad thing, as whoever wants this job knows what they are getting into and wants to be part of the solution, where the previous hire maybe just wanted his first shot at being the #1 guy.

If anything, I think there are so many upper campus folks on the committee because upper campus wants to look the candidates in the eye and ask them the tough questions like "are you going to run a clean program?" and "can you guarantee us that Athletics won't embarrass the school again with another NCAA investigation?". Remember that it was UH leadership that stepped in and vetoed Jay's attempt to re-sign Gib Arnold. They want someone who will make that tough decision and put the integrity of the school first without the chancellor or president having to get involved.