June Jones on Leahy and Leahy

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Hiloman
High-quality H20 provider

Re: June Jones on Leahy and Leahy

Post by Hiloman »

I believe JJ would do Hawaii football good again if he was given the opportunity.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Hiloman wrote:I believe JJ would do Hawaii football good again if he was given the opportunity.
Me too! :hello1:
I am the one who knocks.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

At this point, I will take any head coach that can give us the following:

1) At least 6 wins per year against FBS opponents.....ensuring an appearance each year at a bowl that was tailor-made for us.
2) Wins against MWC foes that we obviously match up with.
3) A much less predictive offense.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

If the job became available and he took it that would be strange to me considering he would knowingly be getting into the same situation that caused him to leave his last 2 jobs.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

season ticket holder wrote:If the job became available and he took it that would be strange to me considering he would knowingly be getting into the same situation that caused him to leave his last 2 jobs.
I don't believe for a second that JJ would have departed when he did if he thought he had a lock on a 2014 bowl appearance. JJ is brilliant in the sense that he got out of 2014 without being fired and with only 2 losses against his record.

There is a lesson in life here. Good guys without a tactical understanding of their environment finish last. Good guys that stay ahead of the curve by anticipating and adjusting do not get killed off. He weighed his options and then took the helicopter out. This is not a totally negative thing. JJ is an honorable guy and he will do whatever he can to help out those that served under him. I am sure he is already helping those guys that he left behind. Jones is not going to disrespect Chow because Chow is also an honorable man.

cousin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by cousin »

This thread is a good read.

I believe that JJ's leaving UH was due to Herman Frazier's inaction in re-signing JJ. So JJ never got offered the raise he was due, and tragically, Marcy gave it to Mack!
And that was the beginning of what we have now.

JJ got into some kind of trouble his last season at SMU. Read it in the SA. It was never explained what the trouble was. Am I wrong about this? I remember the issue never appeared in this forum.

I heard some nasty rumors about off-field activities of JJ before he left Hawaii. If I heard them, some of you did too. Maybe that had something to do with his leaving UH. (I don't think I read anything about these rumors in this forum, either, which I definitely understand and agree with. I bring this up because there may be some baggage that comes with JJ.)

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I don't care much about rumors and gossip. Personal life is personal life. Obviously, it can affect things. But marriage issues and who someone is dating is not my concern. I watch football because I love the sport. And I am ok with the news media drawing the line on what they are going after.

FMSD
MLB: Mets
NBA: Magic
NFL: Tampa Bay

Post by FMSD »

UnBiasFan wrote:I don't care much about rumors and gossip. Personal life is personal life. Obviously, it can affect things. But marriage issues and who someone is dating is not my concern. I watch football because I love the sport. And I am ok with the news media drawing the line on what they are going after.
I couldn't agree more. Unless the issue around the rumors are considered a crime, then I prefer not to know about it.

I understand a lot of you aren't fond of JJ for some reason, but as a coach, he was pretty darn good for UH. As a fan on the east coast, I'd stay up for kickoff, which is midnight my time, to watch and I never regretted it. The bowl run of 2002, 03, 04, 06, and the Sugar Bowl still give me chills. These days, if I stay up to watch one of the games, I feel like I'm watching paint dry. Now I know what it feels like to be a Jets fan.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Sorry maybe its just me but I watched that entire show and not one time did it sound as if Jones wanted to come back even more so as a AD. Although I would like to see UH go back to the spread/air raid/passing type offense, I dunno how people saw this when they watched the show. Again maybe its just me.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

BullNuts808 wrote:Sorry maybe its just me but I watched that entire show and not one time did it sound as if Jones wanted to come back even more so as a AD. Although I would like to see UH go back to the spread/air raid/passing type offense, I dunno how people saw this when they watched the show. Again maybe its just me.
He more or less said that if he had the job then Chow wouldn't be there and he wants to see Chow do well.

So in other words, he is not seeking the position because it is Chow's. But, it sounded to me that he would be interested if the position became available.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

JJ left because commitments that were made to him by State politicians never materialized. It had nothing to do with Frazier. It is the same reason why he left SMU. The commitments the same politicians made to JJ prior to him leaving were later made to try to keep JJ and those commitments were never follow through on.

JJ would never return to coach Hawaii again. He knows better.

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None

Post by travo66 »

BullNuts808 wrote:Sorry maybe its just me but I watched that entire show and not one time did it sound as if Jones wanted to come back even more so as a AD. Although I would like to see UH go back to the spread/air raid/passing type offense, I dunno how people saw this when they watched the show. Again maybe its just me.
Really? To me, it just seemed that he didn't want to step on any toes by saying "I want the job" while NC was still there. I think and hope he'd jump at the chance to coach here again or become AD! I feel like he has the intestinal fortitude to voice what the UH needs and he knows how to get it.
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

travo66 wrote:
Really? To me, it just seemed that he didn't want to step on any toes by saying "I want the job" while NC was still there. I think and hope he'd jump at the chance to coach here again or become AD! I feel like he has the intestinal fortitude to voice what the UH needs and he knows how to get it.
IDK, but if JJ had the intestinal fortitude to voice what the UH needs and he knows how to get it, then how come he didn't stick around the first time? Is it because he couldn't get the things he wanted? How about the reason for leaving SMU? Is it because he couldn't get the things he wanted? So if he comes back as head coach or AD at UH, what has changed in the environment (UH upper campus administration/State Legislature/Student body/fan base) where he can get what he wants? It just doesn't add up.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

FMSD wrote: I understand a lot of you aren't fond of JJ for some reason, but as a coach, he was pretty darn good for UH. As a fan on the east coast, I'd stay up for kickoff, which is midnight my time, to watch and I never regretted it. The bowl run of 2002, 03, 04, 06, and the Sugar Bowl still give me chills. These days, if I stay up to watch one of the games, I feel like I'm watching paint dry. Now I know what it feels like to be a Jets fan.
Likewise, I don't understand the dislike of Mack. I enjoyed all of Mack's wins and losses. I can't say the same for any of Chow's games. I don't feel anything. Every coach is due some luck. I hope next year will be Chow's.

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None

Post by travo66 »

My3Cats wrote:
travo66 wrote:
IDK, but if JJ had the intestinal fortitude to voice what the UH needs and he knows how to get it, then how come he didn't stick around the first time? Is it because he couldn't get the things he wanted? How about the reason for leaving SMU? Is it because he couldn't get the things he wanted? So if he comes back as head coach or AD at UH, what has changed in the environment (UH upper campus administration/State Legislature/Student body/fan base) where he can get what he wants? It just doesn't add up.
Well, as coach, he just didn't have the power to get what he wanted. I'm not sure if he could get it as AD, but I'm damn sure he'll try his best! And you are right...him coming back as coach, he would probably be stuck in the same rut as he was in before, but he likes resurrecting programs, and right now, we're dead!
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!