Ulu-Perry is still in play

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

UH Offers 14 year old OL from St Louis HS, Fred Ulu-Perry

Post by TheDuke »

he just got an offer after the All Poly Camp at Mckinley HS.

6'2, 295 lb, Freshman, OL

OL: Fred Ulu-Perry ('15), 6-1, 296, St. Louis (Honolulu)
Results: 5.36 40, 4.78 shuttle, 39.5' PB, 22.2" VJ, 77.37 SPARQ
Breakdown: Rising sophomore had event's second-best SPARQ Rating by an offensive lineman.

http://www.pacificathleticalliance.com/ ... Itemid=202

Freshman Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNN3FkRLTAM

Highlights
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/425836/fred-ulu-perryjr

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: UH Offers 14 year old OL from St Louis HS, Fred Ulu-Perr

Post by kapakahi »

Chow and UH coaches were really taking a special interest in him up at the Big Man's Camp the other weekend.

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: San Fransico Giants
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by polywarrior4life »

Verbally offered at 14 years old? Always great to show interest early. Happens all the time.

If I'm not mistaken, legally under NCAA rules, a college coach can officially offer a student athlete a scholarship to play at there respective university, Sept, 1st of the junior year. So anything prior is a verbal and not official or guaranteed. A letter I read from UCLA showing interest in a sophomore student athlete locally here in the state.
Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. VINCE LOMBARDI

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

polywarrior4life wrote:Verbally offered at 14 years old? Always great to show interest early. Happens all the time.

Not a supporter of the politics of college athletics entering a child's life so early.

So what if "the other guys" do it?

Let the kid be a kid first.

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference

Haynr8dr wrote:
polywarrior4life wrote:Verbally offered at 14 years old? Always great to show interest early. Happens all the time.

Not a supporter of the politics of college athletics entering a child's life so early.

So what if "the other guys" do it?

Let the kid be a kid first.
Didn't mean it that way, and I'm not taking anything away from the kid. Great kid, awsome athlete for his age and I hope we land him in the near future. I'm sure he will be a great athlete as well. Just stating the difference between a verbal offer and an official offer.

Try respecting other peoples opinions and not get bent out of shape before assuming what you think I stated. Much respect to you from me as long as you respect mines, nuff said.
Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. VINCE LOMBARDI

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Is Fred Ulu-Perry from East Oahu (Hawaii Kai or Waimanalo or Kuliou side)? Just wondering
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference

I'm wondering if he is related to former Kahuku/Oregon St. OL Jeremy Perry who was also a beast up front.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

polywarrior4life wrote:
Didn't mean it that way, and I'm not taking anything away from the kid. Great kid, awsome athlete for his age and I hope we land him in the near future. I'm sure he will be a great athlete as well. Just stating the difference between a verbal offer and an official offer.

Try respecting other peoples opinions and not get bent out of shape before assuming what you think I stated. Much respect to you from me as long as you respect mines, nuff said.
I was posting in general, not specifically about your post.

That portion of your post fit my thesis, so I used it as my introduction.

And not necessarily just limited to the earlier and earlier recruiting of kids going on, but to the whole industry that NCAA athletics has now become. We're losing sight of the "student" part of student/athlete.

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference

Haynr8dr wrote:
polywarrior4life wrote:

I was posting in general, not specifically about your post.

That portion of your post fit my thesis, so I used it as my introduction.

And not necessarily just limited to the earlier and earlier recruiting of kids going on, but to the whole industry that NCAA athletics has now become. We're losing sight of the "student" part of student/athlete.
Apologies, I misunderstood. Many of us may not agree with the NCAA's requirements and how they control the whole athletic/academic board into college. But everything goes through them and what they say, that's what goes. We have to follow there rules or face the consequences later on which could cost the university. Many rules are broken constantly everyday, its just a matter of time before things catch up.

Like Kapakahi stated, I too am also glad that coach Chow is showing interest in the younger local prospects before they enter in to hs. This shows that he is doing something no other UH hc has done in years and thats building an elite team to one day be competitive in the BCS. Basically putting Hawaii back on the map.

Kama'aina UH
Starter
Starter
MLB: Angels/Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Kama'aina UH »

Kids a beast no doubt but will have to learn to fire off the ball lower. He's such a monster now he doesn't have to and he'll learn in time.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Does he look like he has even more room to fill out? That's huge for a 14-year old. The last teen star UH offered was Reeve Koelher...unfortunately the kid is being swamped with big offers. Georgia, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington, etc.....tough crowd to beat.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

I think he can actually put on 20-25 pounds before its all said and done. He carries his weight extremely well. Height might be an issue with him, but he's very athletic with a mean streak to match. Might actually end up being a DT prospect.

Reeve Koehler was offered as an eighth grader, a year before Ulu-Perry. Kamalei Correa was offered as a freshman.

Best case scenario for UH's local recruiting this year (one of the best classes ever, imo): Waianae DT Kennedy Tulimasealii qualifies late and pledges to the Warriors, Saint Louis starts Kawai Mook-Garcia at QB resulting in a less-than-spectacular season for WR Jeremy Tabuyo- resulting in a commit from him, DE/OLB Ualesi Sale stays home and ATH Aofaga Wily stays home.

hawaiiBoy808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hawaiiBoy808 »

You cant forget about DE Titus Failuaga, very under the radar because the coaches dont do anything to publicize him, but word is he has almost every Pac-12 school after him and even receiving some interest from some more mid land schools.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

hawaiiBoy808 wrote:You cant forget about DE Titus Failuaga, very under the radar because the coaches dont do anything to publicize him, but word is he has almost every Pac-12 school after him and even receiving some interest from some more mid land schools.
I like his frame and production- but his combine performances have been less than spectacular. Of course, combine measurements mean less- far less in some cases/positions- than production/film, but he's put up similar recorded times with the likes of Scott Pagano and Reeve Koehler- both of whom are around 50 pounds heavier than him. It all depends if he can keep his current first-step quickness with 40 more pounds on him (he has a good frame) to play DT/NT.

By "After him" do you mean written or verbal scholarship offers?

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Didn't hear about Titus . . . Hope he's considering Hawaii!!!
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."