DAVE MATLIN select as AD

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Who should be the next Athletics Director for UH?

June Jones
16%
Dick Tomey
5%
Keith Amemiya
21%
Rick Blangiardi
16%
Riley Wallace
5%
Bob Wagner
3%
Dave Shoji
8%
Marilyn Moniz-Kahoohanohano
5%
John McNamara
No votes
Someone unknown chosen by a mainland search committee
3%
Someone unknown chosen by the current University leadership
3%
Mufi Hanneman
11%
Neil Abercrombie
3%
Rich Miano
3%

Total votes: 38

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Official AD Search Thread: Two Finalist Matlin & Amemiya

Post by My3Cats »

Palolo_2LA wrote:Seeing this $hithead of a AD talking about cutting sports reminds me \of the Chicken Little book...He rather complain rather than offer feasible/sensible options/alternatives...I mean where's his financial acumen?
Blangiardi > B. Jay

Successful business man > Bean Counter
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Official AD Search Thread: Amemiya in the lead?

Post by TheDuke »

Ahhhhh. Someone who really get's it. JJ was not getting what was committed to him over 10 years. And he knows that if he came back he wouldn't get it again. He left because things were getting stagnant. No progress. SMU wanted him, made commitments and had deep pockets.

seasider wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
hawaiian wrote:EITSwarrior:

I don't have a grudge.

I can say the same thing about ANY coach before JJ and after JJ about how a coach is or how the players feel about him so your point is without substance.

JJ was perfect in 1999...but that time has come and gone...just like JJ did...hes not the answer.

LET's MOVE ON!
Move on to who? What is the answer? No one knows. People want someone who can fix a losing program. You can pick any name out of a hat and say that guy is the savior, but you don't know if he will end up being the answer to the programs problems. My point is UH needs someone who can turn the ship around quickly. JJ has done that twice at two different programs. He is a proven coach and program fixer. He may not be your answer, but he is the best answer at the moment.
Most put the blame on Frazier for JJ leaving; but, it was always the bottom line-SMU had a deeper pocket than UH. Then when the ship (SMU) started to list, JJ was the first one to jump ship.
Bottom line, no matter who becomes the next AD, he/she will be facing the same problems.
1) Rental to Aloha Stadium
2) No share from concessions at Aloha Stadium
3) No share from parking at Aloha Stadium
4) Pays the Stadium Authority for clean up after every game.
5) No help from the State Legislature to cover Title IX expenses.
6) No help from the Tourism Authority, even with proven studies that UH Athletics add $ to the General Fund…LOL…The Tourism Authority pays the NFL to have the PRO bowl in Hawaii.
7) And 2,500 miles from the Pacific Coast; which impacts travel, recruiting, etc.

UH have six revenue producing programs: Football, baseball, men and women’s basketball, men and women’s volleyball. Football and women’s volleyball is the only two programs that are self-sufficient. Football, even with lean years, still is profitable and help pays for a few non-revenue producing programs. The Wahine adds a few thousand $ profit/fiscally, but not enough to cover expenses for one non-revenue program.

In the real business world, where the bottom line is the only thing that matters, all those non-revenue programs would be downsized…lol…and become intramural sports.

But, Title IX is a Law. Drop non-revenue women’s programs and UH will cease to receive federal monies.

IMHO UH will need a savvy combo politician/businessman for the next AD.

But…all the above is moot, if every game is sold out at the Aloha Stadium, the Stan Sheriff Center, and the Les Murakami Stadium.

I’m dreaming…’cause not enough fans will catch a plane from the outer island, no black-out TV for Oahu, more UH fans sitting on the fence versus die-hard fans that go to the game even during lean years.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Sorry but revenues won't solve the problem. Even our best revenue producing years with football and other sports didn't get us out of the red......only the Sugar Bowl got us in the black. The problem is much more then that.

808Hawaii wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
hawaiian wrote:EITSwarrior:

I don't have a grudge.

I can say the same thing about ANY coach before JJ and after JJ about how a coach is or how the players feel about him so your point is without substance.

JJ was perfect in 1999...but that time has come and gone...just like JJ did...hes not the answer.

LET's MOVE ON!
Move on to who? What is the answer? No one knows. People want someone who can fix a losing program. You can pick any name out of a hat and say that guy is the savior, but you don't know if he will end up being the answer to the programs problems. My point is UH needs someone who can turn the ship around quickly. JJ has done that twice at two different programs. He is a proven coach and program fixer. He may not be your answer, but he is the best answer at the moment.
We need someone that will fire up the fan base immediately. More than anything else, even wins and loses, the UHAD needs to increase revenue. JJ will have the fans interested in UH football again.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

TheDuke wrote:Sorry but revenues won't solve the problem. Even our best revenue producing years with football and other sports didn't get us out of the red......only the Sugar Bowl got us in the black. The problem is much more then that.
I do agree. Should be getting more State funding.

But at least during the other JJ years, we weren't as deep into the red as we are now.
I am the one who knocks.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

According to Reardon's article today we may see an AD by the end of the month. David Matlin, John McNamara and some mainland candidates have had in person interviews for the position. Amemiya and Blangiardi have not been offered interviews so far.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Port Humene, Fighting Seabees, John Wayne.....been there. I have a ball marker,

uhwarriors

Re: Official AD Search Thread: Finalist are MATLIN & AMEMIYA

Post by uhwarriors »

Dave Reardon is reporting that Matlin is being recommended by the committee, but Bly-Vroman may pick Amemiya.
A search advisory committee Tuesday recommended Dave Matlin as the next athletic director of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. But chancellor Robert Bley-Vroman might choose Keith Amemiya, sources told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... 711&src=em

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

uhwarriors wrote:Dave Reardon is reporting that Matlin is being recommended by the committee, but Bly-Vroman may pick Amemiya.
A search advisory committee Tuesday recommended Dave Matlin as the next athletic director of the University of Hawaii at Manoa. But chancellor Robert Bley-Vroman might choose Keith Amemiya, sources told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... 711&src=em
I think both have their positives but I hope Amemiya gets it.
ImageImage

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I liked McNamara, but he's apparently out of the running. Matlin has more college-related experience and national/regional ties. Keith has local ties with local bucks, with perhaps more political finesse. How much hands-on stuff does the AD do, or does the AD delegate most tasks and focus on the "big picture" and policy issues? If it's the latter, both of them can be successful.

Like many, I am an outsider who has to trust that the decision makers have properly vetted and evaluated all applicants. It will be interesting to see why the "last man standing" is selected.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Just roll the dice already.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I think either choice is a huge upgrade over what we have.

What makes me most curious is the whole process itself and how the Chancellor had the good sense to not limit himself to the search committee recommendation. Finally, someone who is willing to try something different!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote:I think either choice is a huge upgrade over what we have.

What makes me most curious is the whole process itself and how the Chancellor had the good sense to not limit himself to the search committee recommendation. Finally, someone who is willing to try something different!
I agree that either Matlin or Amemiya will be better suited for the job than Jay.

But just a reminder on the last time the AD search committee's recommendation wasn't followed and the then UH president selected "an American hero". Word is Dick Tomey was the recommendation of the committee, but Dobelle selected Herman Frazier and we know how that turned out. I'm not sure if Frazier was on the short list or not but the selection was definitely a surprise.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote:But just a reminder on the last time the AD search committee's recommendation wasn't followed and the then UH president selected "an American hero". Word is Dick Tomey was the recommendation of the committee, but Dobelle selected Herman Frazier and we know how that turned out. I'm not sure if Frazier was on the short list or not but the selection was definitely a surprise.
on the other side of the coin, there was the time that Rich Miano was not even granted an interview by the search committee. Even if he ends up going with Matlin it looks better in the eyes of the public when you at least interview the most popular candidate. If they do not interview Amemiya and Matlin falls flat on his face, people will be quick to mention that missed out on a potentially better choice because we didn't even interview him. I mean, it's not like they have to fly him in or interview him via Skype. There's no excuse for not at least interviewing Amemiya and Bley-Vroman knows this. I don't see any downside to doing this.

Now, if he does hire Amemiya he's really putting his own reputation on the line and putting it all on him and not on the selection committee. That's pretty ballsy, and I kind of like it. Dobelle didn't really have much of a reputation to risk and seemed to have landed on his feet (in his own way). Bley-Vroman is a UH guy all-around and has a lot to risk, so he has to really believe in the person he picks.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote:
uhwarriors wrote:But just a reminder on the last time the AD search committee's recommendation wasn't followed and the then UH president selected "an American hero". Word is Dick Tomey was the recommendation of the committee, but Dobelle selected Herman Frazier and we know how that turned out. I'm not sure if Frazier was on the short list or not but the selection was definitely a surprise.
on the other side of the coin, there was the time that Rich Miano was not even granted an interview by the search committee. Even if he ends up going with Matlin it looks better in the eyes of the public when you at least interview the most popular candidate. If they do not interview Amemiya and Matlin falls flat on his face, people will be quick to mention that missed out on a potentially better choice because we didn't even interview him. I mean, it's not like they have to fly him in or interview him via Skype. There's no excuse for not at least interviewing Amemiya and Bley-Vroman knows this. I don't see any downside to doing this.

Now, if he does hire Amemiya he's really putting his own reputation on the line and putting it all on him and not on the selection committee. That's pretty ballsy, and I kind of like it. Dobelle didn't really have much of a reputation to risk and seemed to have landed on his feet (in his own way). Bley-Vroman is a UH guy all-around and has a lot to risk, so he has to really believe in the person he picks.
I felt the seach committee should have given the chancelor at least 3 to choose from.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:I think either choice is a huge upgrade over what we have.

That's how Norm Chow was picked. :o
I am the one who knocks.