DAVE MATLIN select as AD

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Who should be the next Athletics Director for UH?

June Jones
16%
Dick Tomey
5%
Keith Amemiya
21%
Rick Blangiardi
16%
Riley Wallace
5%
Bob Wagner
3%
Dave Shoji
8%
Marilyn Moniz-Kahoohanohano
5%
John McNamara
No votes
Someone unknown chosen by a mainland search committee
3%
Someone unknown chosen by the current University leadership
3%
Mufi Hanneman
11%
Neil Abercrombie
3%
Rich Miano
3%

Total votes: 38

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: DAVE MATLIN select as AD

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote:
shoichikun808 wrote:If it wasn't for the Wonder Blunder probably would have still had him.
pretty much. the only reason he's gone is because he was in charge when a huge amount of money was given away. kinda hard to overlook that one, though.
Yeah they changed the goat but look who is still there. It appears it is okay for them to fail. Jay became goat 2. Matlin will be goat 3. They really need to clean house. Matlin can't do it himself. He needs to put together a good staff. Can't run a race with a broken car.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

There's a lot of things at UH that needs fixing.
I am the one who knocks.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Official AD Search Thread: MATLIN

Post by chawan_cut »

poidog wrote:Ben Jay - start packing and be out by 5pm please, thanks, bye....
we'll still see him at volleyball next week I bet.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote:
poidog wrote:
shoichikun808 wrote:If it wasn't for the Wonder Blunder probably would have still had him.
pretty much. the only reason he's gone is because he was in charge when a huge amount of money was given away. kinda hard to overlook that one, though.
Yeah they changed the goat but look who is still there. It appears it is okay for them to fail. Jay became goat 2. Matlin will be goat 3. They really need to clean house. Matlin can't do it himself. He needs to put together a good staff. Can't run a race with a broken car.
I think that's kind of an oversimplification. I mean, do you think a Wonder Blunder is going to happen again? I highly doubt it... And as for his staff, the guy hasn't even officially started work yet so I have no opinion on his staff and what he means to do with them.

I think Jay's biggest failure was coming in and trying to figure out how to be more like an Ohio State. From what I hear, he came in and started pissing everyone off from the very first day by yelling and screaming and cursing everyone out over things like the light bulbs and such. He probably should have learned a little bit of what's going on before making like he had all the answers, because he found out very quickly that he knew nothing. I kind of like the Matlin hire because he's very well aware of the challenges of running "this" program and has had the opportunity to observe and learn from a pretty close distance while in his role as director of the Hawaii Bowl and the DHC.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Matlin has a better chance of succeeding where Jay and Frazier totally failed. Unfortunately, the awful culture (no can do or status quo) that exists at UH Athletics and UH upper campus still exists.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:Matlin has a better chance of succeeding where Jay and Frazier totally failed. Unfortunately, the awful culture (no can do or status quo) that exists at UH Athletics and UH upper campus still exists.
I'm beginning to feel that neither BJ nor DM are set up for success. They can do only what they're allowed to do. They don't even have the power to hire or fire coaches without clearing it through the Chancellor (Apple or B-V). It's like the main job of the AD is to set up schedules then take some of the blame when things go wrong at the UHAD.
I am the one who knocks.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I'm scratching my head after reading SB account of Matlin...He managed 4 resources with a 3 mm budget...now managing 32 mm dept at UH with hundreds of resources. I have managed a 40mm portfolio of projects/program for 3 years and would never be given a 10 fold increase if management new anything about business. I have a sinking feeling that this was a personal choice by the chancellor.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: