Chow's Future - the clock is ticking...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Chow's Future - the clock is ticking...

Post by 808Hawaii »

J-Rod wrote:Bo Pelini: 67-27 at Nebraska. Not good enough.
Norm Chow: 8-29 at Hawaii. Give us some more!

Amazing how far the bar has fallen in just a few years. Back in the Von Appen era. We sure the Sugar Bowl season actually happened, or did I just dream that?
Wow. I know we can't really compare ourselves to Nebraska but Chow had only two more losses than Pelini. But 59 less wins! :o
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

TheDuke wrote:Then you guys should go do something else. This team has improved and the timeline is what everyone should have expected when they forced Mac out.

This team will make a Bowl game next year. The only real question mark is QB. Hopefully Woolsey will continue to improve but I expect Witek to lead this team. We lacked an accurate passer this year.

If Norm is cut loose we will have to suffer through another two- three years of losing and financially we will not survive.

Take you choice.
The win-loss record is not the most important thing. The main thing is the bottom line. The deficit will increase because Chow is returning. That's what can potentially kill the program.

Just because we change the coach doesn't mean there will be an increase in the deficit. In fact, keeping Chow will likely mean an increase in the deficit. More season ticket holders will abandon this sinking ship and less walk up fans will be willing to waste their time and money watching this week's debacle. Had JJ or Babers been brought in, the fan base would have been more interested in the product and the deficit would have been decreased. In time, the deficit could be wiped out.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:
TheDuke wrote:If Norm is cut loose we will have to suffer through another two- three years of losing and financially we will not survive.

Take you choice.

Agree. If I say UH will get 5-6 wins next season, I think some of you will agree. A realistic goal.

If there is a new coach, do any of you expect a 8-5 season in his first year? Or 2nd year?

These are all Chow guys now. It may take 3+ years.
If we had the right coach, I think we could win at least six games next year.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

madeinhawaii wrote:
cabanalane wrote:
TheDuke wrote:If Norm is cut loose we will have to suffer through another two- three years of losing and financially we will not survive.

Take you choice.

Agree. If I say UH will get 5-6 wins next season, I think some of you will agree. A realistic goal.

If there is a new coach, do any of you expect a 8-5 season in his first year? Or 2nd year?

These are all Chow guys now. It may take 3+ years.
They were all Von Appen guys when JJ took over, too.
Thing is, the Chow's playbook and playcalling is too predictable if defenses like Fresno's can call out the cadence and confuse our players. It's also way too conservative for a mid-major program. It's boring. Boring doesn't sell well when more than half of the fan base are casual type fans.
The casual fans are long gone. Chow is killing off die-hards.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Scott wrote:
SundayJam wrote:
RedZone wrote:
Yep we need to keep Norm for now. As I have said in the past, "You don't get to pick the next coach." This is UH. Can't expect the next coach that they pick to be better than Chow. I said this when they dumped Mac and I am saying it again. We just got to hope that our apprentice HC graduates to a journeyman. I just hope that he shores up his coaching staff on the offensive side. It ain't working.
Uhmm...Dick Tomey, June Jones, and Greg McMackin brought in great assistant coaches. Dave Wagner, Fred Von Appen, and Norm Chow brought in crap coaches. This is the reason that they failed. To make matters worse, Norm Chow actually fired a very capable crew whereas the others didn't really have a choice. We will not go to a bowl game next year, or any year, as long as Norm Chow continues to run this program into the ground.

The few games we won this year were due to an outstanding punter...and a good number of hail mary passes. The hail mary's failed when the opposition defense started picking them off. There was not one outstanding win last year. I can't imagine how things will change. Sorry.

I do hope that I am wrong.
No argument here but Wagner had some great assistants and a Holiday Bowl win. A few of his assistants are still coaching and one of them is the Head Coach at Georgia Tech. Also, I think his name was Bob?
Chow could have had great assistant but he fired Dave Aranda and Nick Rolovich.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

travo66 wrote:
season ticket holder wrote:I don't care for Chow but I'd rather have him figure it out then have to go thru another coaching change. With the way college sports is now Hawaii can't afford to not get it right, the next coach could very well be the last.

The state and the schools needs to step up stop placing the blame on the fans.
You'd rather him "figure it out..." and you expect that to happen in year 4? If he was going to "figure it out," shouldn't he have done it before going 1-12 and 4-9 (all wins being against programs somehow worse than us). Everyone wants him to "figure it out," but it ain't gonna happen! He's far too stubborn and set in his ways. Look at all his interviews..."we'll take a look at it and change things up," "we need to get better," etc. Next week, what does he do? Run-Run-Run-Punt! He changes NOTHING!
I used to think he was stubborn. Now I think he's just dumb.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

HawaiianHogster wrote:I don't care who the coach is but I do care the team is losing. Changes need to be made. Good luck UH (upper campus). You'll need it.
I don't care who the coach is either. But when I see how the deficit continues to increase, that's when I get concerned. Over even wins and loses, the deficit is my biggest concern.
I am the one who knocks.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Boy oh boy. I have to go to work today and when I can finally get back on this forum I find that 808Hawaii really got rolling! :lol:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

My3Cats wrote:Boy oh boy. I have to go to work today and when I can finally get back on this forum I find that 808Hawaii really got rolling! :lol:
I like these boards too. :D
I am the one who knocks.