UNLV's Double Unsportsmanlike Penalties

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

UNLV's Double Unsportsmanlike Penalties

Post by uhwarriors »

UNLV's #17 and #39 get big bonehead awards for giving us a slim chance. When they got called for coming off the bench to celebrate, we were debating whether we should take the penalties on the PAT attempt or the kickoff. The PAT attempt would have been a 50 yard attempt. Miss it and a FG ties. But kicking off from the 10 yard line might give us field position to throw into the end zone. I was actually thinking make them kick the 50 yard PAT. I'm glad Chow decided to take the penalties on the kickoff.

I don't know if the kick off was miss kicked or if they tried a squib kick. In either case it went straight to Ryan Pasoquen, one of the up backs who is also a backup receiver and he fielded it cleanly, ran 13 yards to UNLV's 42 yard line and got out of bounds with 13 seconds remaining. The rest of course is history.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: UNLV's Double Unsportsmanlike Penalties

Post by Irse »

True, that was big.
ImageImage

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Great we got it done. But why are we always trying to play for just pulling one out. Can we take a lead and just kill the other guys for a change?

Irse

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote:Great we got it done. But why are we always trying to play for just pulling one out. Can we take a lead and just kill the other guys for a change?
When we're good enough.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

I'm pretty sure the referee said the penalties were for coming off the bench. The paper says the penalties were for players taking their helmets off. Maybe it was both with players coming off the bench without their helmets?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

uhwarriors wrote:I'm pretty sure the referee said the penalties were for coming off the bench. The paper says the penalties were for players taking their helmets off. Maybe it was both with players coming off the bench without their helmets?
I think it was coming off the bench with their helmets off. This is why I really hate it when players make these bone headed mistakes. I don't recall DeMattei coming back in the game after he got that unsportsman like penalty early in the game. This is what coach needs to do to get the message across to the players.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:Great we got it done. But why are we always trying to play for just pulling one out. Can we take a lead and just kill the other guys for a change?
When we're good enough.
Exactly. The plays to King and Kemp were broken plays. On the first one Ikaika was scrambling and King adjusted to an open spot. The second one ikaika said the play was to the inside but he later saw Kemp one on one on the outside so he made the throw to Marcus. On that one the pass blocking gave him the time to stand in the pocket and make the good throw. It was exactly where it needed to be.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote:
When we're good enough.
Actually, when we get an offensive-minded coach, and not a conservative coach.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

My3Cats wrote:
Irse wrote:
When we're good enough.
Actually, when we get an offensive-minded coach, and not a conservative coach.
The funny thing is Chow said that Ikaika called the last play of the game.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

RedZone wrote:
uhwarriors wrote:I'm pretty sure the referee said the penalties were for coming off the bench. The paper says the penalties were for players taking their helmets off. Maybe it was both with players coming off the bench without their helmets?
I think it was coming off the bench with their helmets off. This is why I really hate it when players make these bone headed mistakes. I don't recall DeMattei coming back in the game after he got that unsportsman like penalty early in the game. This is what coach needs to do to get the message across to the players.
Which give rise to this argument in UNLV's favor. Why didn't UH get penalized for every player that rushed Kemp? That might have set them back to their own 5 yard line for the PAT which would have given UNLV an opportunity to possibly stuff it for a 2 pointer.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/11/23 ... i-and-unlv

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

madeinhawaii wrote:
RedZone wrote:
Which give rise to this argument in UNLV's favor. Why didn't UH get penalized for every player that rushed Kemp? That might have set them back to their own 5 yard line for the PAT which would have given UNLV an opportunity to possibly stuff it for a 2 pointer.

That was an interesting read. There's a world of difference between a game-over 00 left on the clock celebration and one with seconds left on the clock. I don't like how we won because UNLV lost the game just as much as we won it. However, we won.

Irse

Post by Irse »

madeinhawaii wrote:
RedZone wrote:

Thats interesting. I guess the refs blew it.

I was looking but couldn't ind out how many points the defense would get if UH has a safety on the extra point. The defense scoring a TD would result in two points, would UH committing a safety also result in 2 points?
ImageImage

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

That is why the ref made UH do the extra point try. If there was a fumble on the exchange, UNLV would have had a chance for a run back. However, Chow had the QB go under center and take a knee, to minimize any possibility of a fumble. I also though UH could have gotten a penalty for excessive celebration and taking off of helmets, but I think the people that took off their helmets did it on the sidelines where they were piling on top of Kemp... so they got away with it.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Ulchiro5ga wrote:That is why the ref made UH do the extra point try. If there was a fumble on the exchange, UNLV would have had a chance for a run back. However, Chow had the QB go under center and take a knee, to minimize any possibility of a fumble. I also though UH could have gotten a penalty for excessive celebration and taking off of helmets, but I think the people that took off their helmets did it on the sidelines where they were piling on top of Kemp... so they got away with it.
Check out the link to the article/video. we had a whole bunch of guys running on the field without their helmets.
ImageImage

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

I love Hawaii football and agree that we won the game. I don't like how it happened and agree that there is an inconsistency in the application of the rule for non-helmeted participants on the field. If they flagged UNLV, they should have flagged Hawaii.