Coach Mack has Class

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Coach Mack has Class

Post by BigWave96744 »

Sports Animals got in contact with Mack and wanted him as a guest on their show.
Mack declined and said due to the state of the program, he felt it wasn't a good time.

As a DC Mack was the best
As a HC he had some downfalls
As a person who I got to meet on many occasions, Mack was the most approachable
Enjoy retirement Big Guy

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Coach Mack hss Class

Post by Palolo_2LA »

BigWave96744 wrote:Sports Animals got in contact with Mack and wanted him as a guest on their show.
Mack declined and said due to the state of the program, he felt it wasn't a good time.

As a DC Mack was the best
As a HC he had some downfalls
As a person who I got to meet on many occasions, Mack was the most approachable
Enjoy retirement Big Guy
@ least there is a coach with UH ties that has class...he should call Uncle Norm and tell him how great retirement has been. Just think NC could dream about past successes sipping a mai tai...or is that the issue...him forgetting he's not @ SC?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

I hope he is enjoying his retirement and doing all the things he wants to do. Coaching looks like it can take a few years off your life at the highest levels. Truly a classy guy and he can be proud of the success in particular of the assistant coaches that he gave a chance in his last years at UH. Aranda and Rolovich have gone from strength to strength.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Yeah. Mack was approachable and engaging. That's why I was Backin McMackin.

Classy of him not to want to be interviewed - Chris Hart would only asking questions to try to get him to say something negative about the current state of the program.

He had a good eye for coaching talent, and elevated real young coaches to coordinator. As Hawkpeter mentioned, Aranda and Rolo.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Hawkpeter wrote:I hope he is enjoying his retirement and doing all the things he wants to do. Coaching looks like it can take a few years off your life at the highest levels. Truly a classy guy and he can be proud of the success in particular of the assistant coaches that he gave a chance in his last years at UH. Aranda and Rolovich have gone from strength to strength.
Maybe he can be an adviser and assist the next coach. His D credentials speak for themselves.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

I'd take Mac back as a DC anytime. 8)
I am the one who knocks.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

He got his wife involved and tried to make the game more fan friendly. You know you could talk to the guy. He wouldn't flip you off. One of my favorite coaches.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

As a HC, he did have his shortcomings but was approachable.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Mack was a great head coach. He made and fostered bridges to high school teams in Hawaii. He also brought together a terrific group of coaches in a bind. Both Rolovich and Aranda are doing great in their respective colleges, and I can't help but feel they would've gone on for many more productive years here in Hawaii. His team engineered some very competitive teams. He was unlucky in drawing Notre Dame and Tulsa in the Hawaii Bowl. What a shame fans couldn't appreciate nearly beating the red-hot Cincinnati Bear Cats, the streak of unprecedented road victories, or even simply spoiling Colin Kaepernick's near-perfect final season.

After coaching a National Championship team and a Super Bowl team, I don't think Mack needs to do anything more. I think his humble action (or lack of action) speak volumes about his genuine care for the program here in Hawaii. Thanks for all your sacrifices, coach.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

RedZone wrote:He got his wife involved and tried to make the game more fan friendly. You know you could talk to the guy. He wouldn't flip you off. One of my favorite coaches.
I remember getting to be on the sidelines for one of the home games and in the middle of the game as Mack was pacing down the sideline, he looked up at someone standing near me and gave them a wave. Must've been a friend or family or something but I'd think a coach would be too busy to acknowledge stuff like that.

I guess you could look at it from both ways saying he should be paying attention to the game but it's also cool that he would do that in a middle of a game

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Coach Mack has Class

Post by cabanalane »

Fill me in here. Why are there still talk about Coach Mac? Are we just tossing around old stories? Or there is some legit rumor or feeling he wants to coach football again? Somewhere? Here? UH?

I like to talk about Bob Wagner. But he is not coming back to coach, anything.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote:Fill me in here. Why are there still talk about Coach Mac? Are we just tossing around old stories? Or there is some legit rumor or feeling he wants to coach football again? Somewhere? Here? UH?

Just giving props to a classy act.

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Optimus »

cabanalane wrote:Fill me in here. Why are there still talk about Coach Mac? Are we just tossing around old stories? Or there is some legit rumor or feeling he wants to coach football again? Somewhere? Here? UH?

Did you read the opening lines of the first post?
Coach Mack has Class Sports Animals got in contact with Mack and wanted him as a guest on their show. Mack declined and said due to the state of the program, he felt it wasn't a good time.
No mention of him coming back

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Hawaii Public School. I couldn't read a sentence until the 3rd grade (Yes I remember).

So... Mack "felt it wasn't a good time." That means there could be a good time. Just not this time. So Mack would like to coach someday. Is that what I'm reading?

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote:Hawaii Public School. I couldn't read a sentence until the 3rd grade (Yes I remember).

So... Mack "felt it wasn't a good time." That means there could be a good time. Just not this time. So Mack would like to coach someday. Is that what I'm reading?
Wasn't a good time to comment on the program..nothing to do with coaching @ UH.