Is getting a quality interim HC for $300K possible?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Is getting a quality interim HC for $300 possible?

Post by Irse »

poidog wrote:there will always be coaches looking for an opportunity to prove themself. we won't have the pick of the litter at the price we can realistically afford, but we'll be able to at least try things out with a new coach. I have no doubt.
True. But we've got to be really smart about who we're hiring.
ImageImage

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

Irse wrote:True. But we've got to be really smart about who we're hiring.
I agree. I don't think the program will survive another losing regime, the next coach will most likely determine the future of the program

pretty scary honestly.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I would love for UH to organically look for a new head coach. One that is up and coming and one who would do well here given the considerations. But we know that is not going to happen. In order to even begin digging through the sludge and mess that has been known as Chow-era UH football, the new hire will need to come with a splash. I'm not excited about Miano because most folks are simply focusing on the surface-level, low hanging fruit to solidify his candidacy -- hawaii product, proven coach, etc. JUST LIKE WE DID WITH CHOW. As we have learned, being a head coach requires a much different skill set from being an assistant or associate head coach. Well, Rich was the head coach for a few interim minutes before Mack was hired. I think the new coach will have to come with some kind of fanfare that will get the fan base excited once again. So names like Miano, Rolo are certainly top vote getters. I"m certainly open to a "non Hawaii" guy too. And should we get him -- and if he is successful -- we should learn already that these coaches won't stay at UH forever. But we should enjoy them for while they are here. If anything, there must be a cultural/paradigm shift. And a totally new candidate might just be what the Dr. orders. UH athletics is a total mess right now.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote:Norm's contract runs until 12/31/2016
Whether he stays or goes the University has to pony up his $550,000 salary.

Thus if he gets let go, maybe we can have an interim HC until 12/31/16.

During the 2016 year the "search committee", President, AD, Punahou Mafia, etc can decide if the interim HC shall be retained and given a 5 year contract and a suitable salary, or they can get their own top 4 finalist list.

Unless folks with deep pockets comes up with the buyout of Chow, UH cannot have 2 guys on payroll getting paid > 500K/year
I think that our DC was given a 2 year contract so if we dump Chow now we would also have figure out what to do wuth our DC.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote:
poidog wrote:there will always be coaches looking for an opportunity to prove themself. we won't have the pick of the litter at the price we can realistically afford, but we'll be able to at least try things out with a new coach. I have no doubt.
Whoever does the hiring seems to like retirees so the next coach will probably be someones grandpa.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

The buyout for just ONE of the Wisconsin/Ohio State games is enough to payout BOTH Gib and Norm.Time to move forward. JJ can't keep coming to the rescue. This program needs to find the $$$ to keep up competitively or prepare to disband.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

The only cheap coach I know of is grumpy but the guy is a proven hall of fame coach.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

bigislandkurt wrote:I would love for UH to organically look for a new head coach. One that is up and coming and one who would do well here given the considerations. But we know that is not going to happen. In order to even begin digging through the sludge and mess that has been known as Chow-era UH football, the new hire will need to come with a splash. I'm not excited about Miano because most folks are simply focusing on the surface-level, low hanging fruit to solidify his candidacy -- hawaii product, proven coach, etc. JUST LIKE WE DID WITH CHOW. As we have learned, being a head coach requires a much different skill set from being an assistant or associate head coach. Well, Rich was the head coach for a few interim minutes before Mack was hired. I think the new coach will have to come with some kind of fanfare that will get the fan base excited once again. So names like Miano, Rolo are certainly top vote getters. I"m certainly open to a "non Hawaii" guy too. And should we get him -- and if he is successful -- we should learn already that these coaches won't stay at UH forever. But we should enjoy them for while they are here. If anything, there must be a cultural/paradigm shift. And a totally new candidate might just be what the Dr. orders. UH athletics is a total mess right now.
I think the biggest difference between Miano and Chow is that Miano is not a "guru" on either side of the ball. He would come in as a manager of people and be the face of the program, but would hire assistants who know offense and defense better than him. There would be ZERO ego involved, which is the total opposite of the Norm Chow regime. To me, if Miano's sole purpose is to keep the seat warm for Rolo or someone else who needs to "earn" the job by coming in as a coordinator first, then so be it. I think that's great.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Is getting a quality interim HC for $300 possible?
no

/thread
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Irse wrote:
That goes without saying. I think in order to do that there needs to be a stronger Athletics Director in place before they start looking for a new coach. Also, they cannot go the "hiring committee" route again, as it does not add any value to the process. this decision needs to be made by the university and owned by the university all the way, 100%. Whatever they decide the key objectives are in hiring this new coach, they have to stick to it and not just make it an open-ended coaching search where we let ourselves become enamored with impressive resumes and support from big money boosters. We can't put any faith in anyone who thinks that in order to be successful they have to overhaul everything. Ultimately, we need someone who will commit to working with what is already here and getting better results with what we have. We have the best home field advantage in the country, we have a tv timeslot all to ourselves, we have our own bowl game, we have a bigger stadium than most other schools on our level, we have a unique location and closer proximity to Asia, we have an incredible pool of football talent right in our own backyard, and we have a fan base that's dying to get excited about something again. There's no reason why a resourceful coach with the right plan can't come in and be a little more successful than what we've seen over these past three years.

I know lightning rarely strikes twice, but if someone could do half as well as June Jones did in his first year, that would still be two to three times as good as what Norm Chow is doing now. JJ came in and committed to taking what was here and making it better. We may never find another June Jones, but I would love to see someone come in with that same kind of attitude, and not the "we gotta change everything" attitude that Chow came in with.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

xer 21 wrote:
no

/thread
LOL especially if he really means three hundred bucks...

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

poidog wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
no

/thread
LOL especially if he really means three hundred bucks...
Hahaha you guys too much :lol: ... Fixed :)

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

xer 21 wrote:
no

/thread
Impossible. Minimum salary of the Head Coach at UH was negotiated to be about $408K by HGEA and the State.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
Irse wrote:
That goes without saying. I think in order to do that there needs to be a stronger Athletics Director in place before they start looking for a new coach. Also, they cannot go the "hiring committee" route again, as it does not add any value to the process. this decision needs to be made by the university and owned by the university all the way, 100%. Whatever they decide the key objectives are in hiring this new coach, they have to stick to it and not just make it an open-ended coaching search where we let ourselves become enamored with impressive resumes and support from big money boosters. We can't put any faith in anyone who thinks that in order to be successful they have to overhaul everything. Ultimately, we need someone who will commit to working with what is already here and getting better results with what we have. We have the best home field advantage in the country, we have a tv timeslot all to ourselves, we have our own bowl game, we have a bigger stadium than most other schools on our level, we have a unique location and closer proximity to Asia, we have an incredible pool of football talent right in our own backyard, and we have a fan base that's dying to get excited about something again. There's no reason why a resourceful coach with the right plan can't come in and be a little more successful than what we've seen over these past three years.

I know lightning rarely strikes twice, but if someone could do half as well as June Jones did in his first year, that would still be two to three times as good as what Norm Chow is doing now. JJ came in and committed to taking what was here and making it better. We may never find another June Jones, but I would love to see someone come in with that same kind of attitude, and not the "we gotta change everything" attitude that Chow came in with.
So why not give June Jones a try?
I am the one who knocks.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

808Hawaii wrote:So why not give June Jones a try?
It is hard to make a case for him because he bailed on SMU after less than half a season where his team was losing every game by 50+ points. That's a pretty glaring item on the resume, you know?

However, if he had a solid plan and the price was right and everything was transparent in terms of what's expected and there was a favorable buyout clause in his contract, I'd be open to it.