Maybe Hawaii's players are just not that good.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Maybe Hawaii's players are just not that good.

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
Dos Inus wrote: ...not quite how I saw it. I don't think it was inexperience, or preparation, or strategy, or coaching. Those guys were not just talented, they were flat out bigger, AND faster. Colt had no time to throw. Obvioulsy that kills a pass-happy offense. Their ends went through and even around our O-line like our guys were standing still. I don't recall great special teams play, but our D could not stop their offense, it was 41-3 in the 4th qtr then Richt pulled his starters.
My problem with this is that the O-Line was struggling all season. They were just more exposed against UGA. Fresno State demolished our O-line as much as anyone (and knocked Colt out of the game). I really feel this was the long-term effect of not bringing in a real O-line coach after Cavanaugh left for Corvallis. If you recall, they just moved McKnight over from Special Teams to the O-Line and the line slowly deteriorated after he left. Keep in mind that June Jones did not hire any "new" coaches after Kevin Lempa left. These were his hires:

Cal Lee (LB Coach - brother of WR coach Ron Lee)
Jerry Glanville (DC - old friend from NFL)
Mouse Davis (Special Teams/Offensive Consultant - Old coach and friend from Portland State and NFL)
Jeff Reinebold (DL Coach - very few previous ties to JJ, was very motivated to coach here)
Greg McMackin (DC - previous DC from 1999)

I feel strongly that if JJ had brought in an O-Line coach in 2006 and moved Lumpkin to his eventual position of Director of Football Operations, we would have done even better in 2007 and maybe not have been so out-classed in the Sugar Bowl.
In that Sugar Bowl game, Georgia jumped the snap and were successful. I couldn't understand why we didn't stagger the count. We could have taken advantage of that. Five yards at a time and they would have stopped jumping the snap.
I am the one who knocks.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

xer 21 wrote:
Dos Inus wrote: Those guys were not just talented, they were flat out bigger, AND faster.
being better physically IS being more talented.
No way. There are a lot of big guys out there that can't play a lick. Take a walk around any town in Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas. Lots of huge guys out there that couldn't play anywhere beyond HS JV or Varsity. Not talented enough.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Palolo_2LA wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
RedZone wrote:
At that time I felt that Georgia was the best team in the country and had the kind of players which would give our offense a lot of problems.
they had by far the best pass rush in the nation, and they were hand picked to destroy us. there a reason every single BCS game sucked that year, becase they shuffled people around to beat us down.

having us play either of the Orange bowl teams would have made for a far better game.
I think the UG defense is arguably the best D for the last decade...they always have high draft picks from their D and consistently have great stats in the SEC...Their LB and OLB run 4.4-4.5 40's for god sakes. Superior talent will always have an advantage over a gimmick offense.
it has nothing to do with a gimmick offense. the Run n Shoot isnt a gimmick offense.

if you put aaron kia on your team against speed like that, it dosesnt matter what offense you run or who the rest of your team is. you lose.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

Dos Inus wrote:
No way. There are a lot of big guys out there that can't play a lick. Take a walk around any town in Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas. Lots of huge guys out there that couldn't play anywhere beyond HS JV or Varsity. Not talented enough.
Big isnt the same as being better physically. its just big.

and there's also a separation between physical talents and mental talents. a lot of those guys are just dumb and cant learn.

targets.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

The Pee Wee Manoa team used to always beat the Waianae teams. Manoa was made up of little Japanee kids and Waianae, well, they Waianae. Waianae was always much bigger and stronger than the Japanee kids. But it was never a contest. The Japanee kids always won. It worked for a little while.
I am the one who knocks.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

xer 21 wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:

and there's also a separation between physical talents and mental talents. a lot of those guys are just dumb and cant learn.
This has become one of those silly back-and-forths, but ok I'll play.

Example: buddy of mine, from Kansas. 6'6", 256, powerlifter. Played HS Varsity football, OL. Was not considered talented enough for football in college. One hell of a college rugby and lacross player though.

Dumb? On the contrary. He graduated at the top of his medical school class. If you have a heart attack today, he'll do your bypass.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

He is a bit heavier now, though, and rounder in the middle, now that we're in our mid 40's :D

ttmf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ttmf »

Wasn't there something about the officials not calling a bunch of off side plays by Georgia in the sugar bowl and now those officials can't officiate any more games? Idk wouldn't have mattered anyway. Lol
IT'S JUST A GAME!

ttmf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ttmf »

Sometimes players are not good ENOUGH but most of the time it's coaching. JJ did pretty good with what he took over with. In this instance, sticking with a QB and other players that's struggling or can't get the job done for this long is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
IT'S JUST A GAME!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I remember how everyone including the announcers saying how small the Hawaii players looked compared to Georgia.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

RedZone wrote:I remember how everyone including the announcers saying how small the Hawaii players looked compared to Georgia.
Yeah, Colt was taller than most his O-Line in 2007. And Colt was only about 6-3.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

RedZone wrote:I remember how everyone including the announcers saying how small the Hawaii players looked compared to Georgia.
I gotta disagree, Georgia's main player on defense, Marcus Howard who was giving UH's offense headaches in that game was only 6 ft. 250 pounds.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

Dos Inus wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:

This has become one of those silly back-and-forths, but ok I'll play.

Example: buddy of mine, from Kansas. 6'6", 256, powerlifter. Played HS Varsity football, OL. Was not considered talented enough for football in college. One hell of a college rugby and lacross player though.

Dumb? On the contrary. He graduated at the top of his medical school class. If you have a heart attack today, he'll do your bypass.
ummm, ok? what does that have to do with my point? one anecdotal piece of evidence that really isnt even relevant because as i said, being big isnt the same as being being better physically. and being a good rugby or lacrosse player isnt the same as being a good football player.

and being a 250 pound lineman isnt even big.

i knew a Filipino who was 6'8.

by your logic, i can now prove that most Filipino's are 6'8.

targets.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

ttmf wrote:Wasn't there something about the officials not calling a bunch of off side plays by Georgia in the sugar bowl and now those officials can't officiate any more games? Idk wouldn't have mattered anyway. Lol
Georgia's DL were timing the snap. All it would have taken was for us to stagger the snap count, or delay the snap a few times to get a few offsides penalties and stop Georia from getting that head start on each play. But for some reason, we didn't.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

ttmf wrote:Sometimes players are not good ENOUGH but most of the time it's coaching. JJ did pretty good with what he took over with. In this instance, sticking with a QB and other players that's struggling or can't get the job done for this long is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Perfect example was USU. Unlike Chow and crew, USU's coaches recruited the right QBs for their system. True freshman prepares for one week and BOOM! Career night in his first career start. Our freshmen QB? Sitting on the bench waiting for our mostly ineffective QB to get injured. That's the only way Chow will put in a freshman QB. When we were behind 35-14, why not let Reilly play and get his feet wet?
I am the one who knocks.