Head Coaching Speculation

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Head Coaching Speculation

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: Playing dirty like chop blocking is one thing. But if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying your hardest to win.
Even in high school football, coach would show you how to block, hold your guy, etc, etc. That may be "techniques" or "cheating" depends on which side of the ball you are on.
You get penalized for 'cheating' - five to fifteen yards, an accepted part of the game.
I am the one who knocks.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

cabanalane wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:Chow is #4 on the Coaches Hotseat. Chasing that championship.

http://coacheshotseat.com/
Chow deserves better.
2 and a half seasons, plus garbage runs at Utah and UCLA say that no, he doesnt deserve any better, unless you're suggesting he move up three spots to number 1.
cabanalane wrote: But I'm sure his wife's medical condition would prevent him from being fired this year. There is business, and there is personal integrity.
Chow has money. he's fine. and we arent a charity.
cabanalane wrote: If the AD fires Chow, other coaches may feel like Hawaii is not a place they want to be. If one of your employees is dealing with personal issues, you don't fire his okole. You stay with him.
i dont really care how many personal issues he has when we're 6-26. WE have issues. issues like "does the football team still exist in the near future?". and again, he has money. he's been making 6 figures for decades now.
cabanalane wrote:

Outside of loosing in Football, I have not heard anything bad or negative about Chow.
not that i havent heard anything negative, but the only thing that really matters here is that he's losing. he's a coach, not an travelling motivational speaker.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

xer 21 wrote:
cabanalane wrote:

Outside of loosing in Football, I have not heard anything bad or negative about Chow.
not that i havent heard anything negative, but the only thing that really matters here is that he's losing. he's a coach, not an travelling motivational speaker.
So true. He was hired to win football games and it's not happening.

As far as what's going on with his wife. I'm glad she's doing better but her health should have no bearing on whether he is fired or not after the season. Were his teams winning before she had her medical issues?
ImageImage

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

Hey why don't we keep Chow around for a couple more years to see what he can do with all of these new incoming QB's???

<ducking out now to save myself from the thrown rocks and beer cans...>

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Dos Inus wrote:Hey why don't we keep Chow around for a couple more years to see what he can do with all of these new incoming QB's???

<don't forget the rotten tomatoes.>
I am the one who knocks.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Dos Inus wrote:Hey why don't we keep Chow around for a couple more years to see what he can do with all of these new incoming QB's???

Hey? Why don't we kill the football program.. the whole athletic department, while we're at it?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

There will never be a problem of coaches wanting the job. You only got so many D1 HC jobs and thousands trying to get one. The problem is getting one who can produce wins here. We got to find the right fit. Every coach who have coached here have had their critics. No exceptions.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Go with the spread. It's what Hawaii's known for and what it's loved for. People will forget this long dark era of rainbow Warrior football soon enough. I like the idea of a strong defensive head coach and the return of Rolovich. Give an opportunity for an OC position for promising assistants from the big spread dynasties.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

madeinhawaii wrote:

Hey? Why don't we kill the football program.. the whole athletic department, while we're at it?
On the news today they said that BJ said that he will be talking to coach Chow after the season and as for now he wholey support the coaches and the team. So i guess we will have to wait and see.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

I think I can now see Rolo as head coach.
He might be able to bring in George Rush from San Francisco City College as a mentor (like Mouse was) with Leilie as an understudy and WR coach. Or he might be able to swing for Craig Stutzman or Timmy Chang as OC. . On DC, Clune is under contract for another year.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

madeinhawaii wrote:I think I can now see Rolo as head coach.
He might be able to bring in George Rush from San Francisco City College as a mentor (like Mouse was) with Leilie as an understudy and WR coach. Or he might be able to swing for Craig Stutzman or Timmy Chang as OC. . On DC, Clune is under contract for another year.
Rolo is not a head coach. Five more years and he will be ready.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:
Well, we're on a roll.. or Rolo... since you've been way wrong more often than right. Besides, in 5 years we wouldn't be able to afford him. Better get him while we can.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UnBiasFan wrote:
He's been a college coach for almost 9 years now. why is 14 years the magic number, while 9 years is too little? oh, because you pulled it out of your a$$ like everything else you post on here.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

cabanalane wrote:Outside of loosing in Football, I have not heard anything bad or negative about Chow.
One story is that Chow kicked a lot of people off the sidelines in his first season, including Na Koa co-founder Ben Yee. When someone mentioned it on Tsai's blog, Tsai contacted Yee and because Yee took the high road and did not confirm the rumor or indulge any talk of ill-will, good ol' boy beat writer Tsai and his band of koolaid-drinking Tsaikos declared it as proof that Chow did no such thing.

Another thing I heard is that Chow did something to drive that Punahou QB to turn down a scholarship offer from UH and join USC as a walk-on instead. I know of at least one more shady recruiting story that I don't feel comfortable sharing here. Hawaii is a small place and people talk.

Other than that, there's the fact that he's been bought out of several contracts before his stint at Utah. how good can you be when people keep paying you to leave?

prideperiod
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by prideperiod »

Interesting comparison on a few successful college coaches.

Gus Malzahn - 6 years as a college coach before being named a head coach.
Todd Graham - 5 years college experience before being named a head coach.
Art Briles - 3 years college experience before being named a head coach.
P.J. Fleck - 5 years college/ 1 year NFL before being named a head coach.

Nick Rolovich - 7 years D1 college coaching experience.