Fred VonAppen and Norm Chow... More in common than you think

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Fred VonAppen and Norm Chow... More in common than you t

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote:
poidog wrote: The 2011 team was unlucky in hosting an arrogant quarterback and an injury depleted offensive line.
Bryant Moniz? How so? Didn't know that.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

WA Warrior wrote:
thatmakakiloguy wrote:i hope nuimatanolo doesn't come back...i never want to see the triple option in aloha stadium again
I'm not much of a triple option fan either, but I am a fan of a winning coach.

If that's what it takes to get UH winning again, I can take that pill. Better than what the Rainbows are doing now... I want them to be WARRIORS again and WIN!!!
It's better to be boring and winning, than boring and losing.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

SundayJam wrote: Finally, your reference to McMackin's calling Notre Dame's mock dance of the Warriors' Haka a 'faggity dance' a gay slur is pathetic. I for one thought it was pretty dang funny. Oh...should I pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (as McMackin did) for agreeing with McMackin? I think the university over-reacted to McMackin's comment. Our university is stupid and we will likely pay the price for its faulty decisions soon.
Was it funny to MRC Greenwood, who is gay? Was the comment a big reason why Mac got into hot water with Greenwood?
I am the one who knocks.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Coach Nuimatanolo is not the answer @ UH. Who has his teams beaten? He beats mid majors and the other military teams. Is that UH's goal?

Please stop suggesting people based on the fact that they are from Hawaii, played at UH, has family in Hawaii, saw a picture of Hawaii, etc...we need the best qualified. UH needs to avoid favors to another coach as we did with Chow or giving the job to the next person in line. We need a spread, air raid, run n shoot or another high powered offense.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Palolo_2LA wrote:Coach Nuimatanolo is not the answer @ UH. Who has his teams beaten? He beats mid majors and the other military teams. Is that UH's goal?

Please stop suggesting people based on the fact that they are from Hawaii, played at UH, has family in Hawaii, saw a picture of Hawaii, etc...we need the best qualified. UH needs to avoid favors to another coach as we did with Chow or giving the job to the next person in line. We need a spread, air raid, run n shoot or another high powered offense.
Niumatalolo is not the answer because we cannot afford him. We cannot afford the most qualified candidates. But our competition is not the P5 teams. We will never again be able to compete with those teams - not with their facilities and them being able to pay stipends, per diem, what have you. Our focus should be on the MWC. Being competitive against other HAVE NOTs, that should be our goal.
I am the one who knocks.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

808Hawaii wrote:
SundayJam wrote: Finally, your reference to McMackin's calling Notre Dame's mock dance of the Warriors' Haka a 'faggity dance' a gay slur is pathetic. I for one thought it was pretty dang funny. Oh...should I pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (as McMackin did) for agreeing with McMackin? I think the university over-reacted to McMackin's comment. Our university is stupid and we will likely pay the price for its faulty decisions soon.
Was it funny to MRC Greenwood, who is gay? Was the comment a big reason why Mac got into hot water with Greenwood?
I think it was a case of political correctness gone wrong. Coach slipped up and was immediately and clearly remorseful about it. The administration's handling of the slur was way overblown. I think that a fans characterization of McMackin's professional communication based on one slip up is overblown. OMG, is said blown! I'm sorry, please take $100,000 from my salary.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

1996 UH 2-10 overall, 1-7 in conference
2014 UH 2-5 Overall, 1-1 in conference (after 7 games)
The Trend Continues
1996 UH 2-10 overall, 1-7 in conference
2014 UH 2-6 Overall, 1-2 in conference (after 8 games)

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

808Hawaii wrote:Niumatalolo is not the answer because we cannot afford him.
It would have perhaps be nice if UH could have gotten Norm Chow 20 years ago. Local boy comes home.

I hope we don't wait 20 years to get Niumatalolo for the local boy to come home. By that time, KN would be past his coaching prime.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:Niumatalolo is not the answer because we cannot afford him.
It would have perhaps be nice if UH could have gotten Norm Chow 20 years ago. Local boy comes home.

I hope we don't wait 20 years to get Niumatalolo for the local boy to come home. By that time, KN would be past his coaching prime.
There's a reason why now one was willing to give Chow a Head Coach position, not even BYU. Only UH gave him a chance. But now UH knows why no one else was foolish.
I am the one who knocks.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Deja Vu, Ground Hog day, Back to the Future, call it what you will but in the end its not looking good

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Personally Chow is worse than VonAppen.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

WA Warrior wrote:Personally Chow is worse than VonAppen.
Things might be different now because of the internet. But I don't remember anyone disliking Von Appen. At the end, there wasn't a mob going after him. It was just obvious that we needed to move on.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:
Things might be different now because of the internet. But I don't remember anyone disliking Von Appen. At the end, there wasn't a mob going after him. It was just obvious that we needed to move on.
Von Appen lost his team. We were getting blown out in every game because the players gave up. It was obvious a change needed tobe made.
I am the one who knocks.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

808Hawaii wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:
Von Appen lost his team. We were getting blown out in every game because the players gave up. It was obvious a change needed tobe made.
I felt the same way the last two games. The defense used to be awesome. Stopping and holding teams, holding good teams. It's now almost like the defense felt the offense is not carrying their fair share. They work so hard, and the offense goes 3-0, and punt. They are humans too with feeling. Scott Harding is the only thing I enjoy watching. Punting should not be what I enjoy watching.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: Von Appen lost his team. We were getting blown out in every game because the players gave up. It was obvious a change needed tobe made.
I felt the same way the last two games. The defense used to be awesome. Stopping and holding teams, holding good teams. It's now almost like the defense felt the offense is not carrying their fair share. They work so hard, and the offense goes 3-0, and punt. They are humans too with feeling. Scott Harding is the only thing I enjoy watching. Punting should not be what I enjoy watching.
I also enjoy watching Harding punt.

Look at our penalties. Some players look like they feel like: The hell with it. I'm getting my licks in legal or illegal (Lakalaka). Overall, they seem to give up.
I am the one who knocks.