Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Solutions to UH's Financial Woes

Post by Egonator »

Every year the Football program loses money. Any solutions to solve this matter? Sorry if a similar post was written awhile back.

I have this idea. I was thinking that UH should offer VIP access during game days. For a set price fans can experience what the players go thru during the game. The fan would have access to the field as well as the pregame meal and post game press confernce. I also have this idea that UH can create a party section in Aloha Stadium just how the Les has the Budlight Bullpen. These are crazy ideas but the program needs to do something different.

On a side note, I understand that on field success will bring fans to the stadium. Winning tends to solve a lot of problems. However, it takes time to build a winning team...UH doesn't have the time for that.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Solutions to UH's Financial Woes

Post by UnBiasFan »

The divide between the can-afford-everything "haves" and the "I can barely pay my rent" have nots is growing.

The pricing structure is set for the "haves" who are very fickle in their loyalties

The "have nots" cannot take their families even if they want to.

There you have it.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Quadruple the price of season tickets. The number of season ticket holders is at about as low as it will get. I think we've reached the point where most STH would renew no matter how bad the team gets, or how much season tickets cost. All UHAD needs is 25% renewals to break even. They'll get more than that. Of course, no bandwagon fans would support a product like the one Chow provides.

There's no promotion like winning.
I am the one who knocks.

uhtailgater
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by uhtailgater »

I think UH lacks marketing and promotion. If there were some hype to the tailgating experience, I think it would make more people want to attend the games. This is just a collective assumption based on responses that I get from friends that I invite to games. That could possibly help with the ticket sales. However, it seems that the security at the tailgates tend to hassle quite a bit. One of the reasons why I sometimes rather BBQ and watch the game at home or at another gathering. Well if much locals are not purchasing tickets, may be another option is to find a way to have tourists or visitors purchase them. Kiosk in Waikiki?

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

I went to a mariners game a few months ago and some promotional stuff they did was have a fireworks night where they would put on a fireworks show after the game. I think something like this would not only attract more families to come to the game but stay to the end as well.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

They should reduce prices to the game. I went to the SDSU VS Hawaii game and sat in good seats near the 20 yard line 10 rows up from the field and paid $19 per ticket. At Aloha stadium it cost $60.

They need some courses in economics, lower per unit cost drives sales of a product that is not a necessity. Also, make family packages and provide alternatives to the price gouging snack stands. The cost of living in Hawaii is already high, so reduce the cost and make profit a fixed %. Traffic around the stadium can be horrific, so look for ways to divert, reduce and better manage traffic (ie) cheaper parking charge for early birds, build a parking structure, etc.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

The football program does not lose money.
ImageImage

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

uhtailgater wrote:I think UH lacks marketing and promotion. If there were some hype to the tailgating experience, I think it would make more people want to attend the games. This is just a collective assumption based on responses that I get from friends that I invite to games. That could possibly help with the ticket sales. However, it seems that the security at the tailgates tend to hassle quite a bit. One of the reasons why I sometimes rather BBQ and watch the game at home or at another gathering. Well if much locals are not purchasing tickets, may be another option is to find a way to have tourists or visitors purchase them. Kiosk in Waikiki?
Sorry but, if locals are not willing to pay to watch the games live, you think tourists that have no connection to the team will?
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Palolo_2LA wrote:They should reduce prices to the game. I went to the SDSU VS Hawaii game and sat in good seats near the 20 yard line 10 rows up from the field and paid $19 per ticket. At Aloha stadium it cost $60.

They need some courses in economics, lower per unit cost drives sales of a product that is not a necessity. Also, make family packages and provide alternatives to the price gouging snack stands. The cost of living in Hawaii is already high, so reduce the cost and make profit a fixed %. Traffic around the stadium can be horrific, so look for ways to divert, reduce and better manage traffic (ie) cheaper parking charge for early birds, build a parking structure, etc.
They should have economic graduate students come up with ideas. And their instructors.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Irse wrote:The football program does not lose money.
But they are not near its potential. It's not at an acceptable level.
I am the one who knocks.

uhtailgater
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by uhtailgater »

808Hawaii wrote:
uhtailgater wrote:I think UH lacks marketing and promotion. If there were some hype to the tailgating experience, I think it would make more people want to attend the games. This is just a collective assumption based on responses that I get from friends that I invite to games. That could possibly help with the ticket sales. However, it seems that the security at the tailgates tend to hassle quite a bit. One of the reasons why I sometimes rather BBQ and watch the game at home or at another gathering. Well if much locals are not purchasing tickets, may be another option is to find a way to have tourists or visitors purchase them. Kiosk in Waikiki?
Sorry but, if locals are not willing to pay to watch the games live, you think tourists that have no connection to the team will?

It has it chances. I've attended games while on vacation in different states. Well, that's because I didn't have much planned and did it for the experience. BTW I'm still not and at that time I wasn't a Lakers or Giants fan .

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

808Hawaii wrote:
Irse wrote:The football program does not lose money.
But they are not near its potential. It's not at an acceptable level.
Raising prices won't help when the product on the field is not very good. At some point, it won't be worth it to even the most hardcore fan.
ImageImage

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

808Hawaii wrote:Quadruple the price of season tickets. The number of season ticket holders is at about as low as it will get. I think we've reached the point where most STH would renew no matter how bad the team gets, or how much season tickets cost. All UHAD needs is 25% renewals to break even. They'll get more than that. Of course, no bandwagon fans would support a product like the one Chow provides.

There's no promotion like winning.
:o

Tmanz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Tmanz »

With a terrible team and growing options of Nightlife in Honolulu, I have no idea

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

uhtailgater wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:

It has it chances. I've attended games while on vacation in different states. Well, that's because I didn't have much planned and did it for the experience. BTW I'm still not and at that time I wasn't a Lakers or Giants fan .
If you was a mainland tourist, or japanese tourist, or whatever tourist, what would you rather do? Go to a Luau or watch Chowball? Shop and walk around Waikiki or Aulani, or watch Chowball? Aloha Tower or Chowball? Lounge around the pool or Chowball?

I rather stay home and do yardwork than watch Chowball.
I am the one who knocks.