Lakalaka 'back to normal,' likely to start against Nevada

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Lakalaka 'back to normal,' likely to start against Nevada

Post by 808Hawaii »

Just read something very disturbing in this morning's paper, Stephen Tsai's Notebook segment. Lakalaka sufferred a concussion in the Wyoming game on October 11. Two days later, he passed a baseline test and received clearence to play two days after that. The first contact he received was in the game last week at SDSU. Chow ran him on the first seven plays from scrimmage, not counting a punt. Lakalaka practiced yesterday and said he's back to normal. He was cautious last week because he had a concussion at Punahou and during his freshman year at UH. He is expected to start against Nevada this week.

Am I missing something here? Why is this information coming out now, and not last week? I mean, wasn't he cleared last week? If he is only now saying he's back to normal, why was he allowed to play last week? I am one of those that is paranoid of CTE. If I was Steven's parents, I'd be extremely upset.
I am the one who knocks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Re: Lakalaka 'back to normal,' likely to start against Nevad

Post by Scott »

Of course the safety of players should always come first but I read it a little differently. Without putting words into the mouths of anyone, I read it as he was cleared to play (early in the week) which is why he played on Saturday. Him saying he is back to normal means that after any type of injury you play cautiously with a little hesitation (its only human) and now after playing on Saturday he feels he is (mentally and physically) back to normal. I would use as an ACL injury, even though the player's knee might be stronger than it was before the injury, many times they are not, "back to normal" until they play a bit. Some take a year some take a week.

As for why it was only released only now, I know that there are new rules to releasing injury reports of the student athletes. I'm sure one of the Sports Hawaii Guru's can define it for us.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

I hope your correct, Scott. Man, reading it sent shivers up my spine.
I am the one who knocks.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

This is proof that Uncle Chow is committed 100% to smash mouth FB, regardless of SL health. He ran him into the SDSU wall of defenders all night, despite coming of the concussion. Assuming he cared about winning, he should have let DSJ run outside.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook: