Joey

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Joey

Post by 808Hawaii »

Irse wrote:
cabanalane wrote:Really bad choice by Joey (which I've made a few at his age).
When you're young, you think you're invincible. He probably thought it wasn't much and he could still drive safely. Just trying to think of how I was at that age, which is a lot different how I think now.

Playing basketball is another bad decision this young guy made. Like many said in this thread, when we young, he make those kinds of decisions sometimes.
I am the one who knocks.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

FYI: According to Tsai, cleared to play is Lakalaka. I like having him and St. Juste as tandem running backs. And, who knows, maybe another will get an opportunity to shine.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

AlohaDan86 wrote:He's suspended for three games, according to Hawaii News Now app.

So he's out for SDSU, Nevada, Utah State... That hurts.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

There's a lot about this case that we don't know. We weren't there. I've seen some outrageous oversight by HPD regarding anonymous drunks in the past. They don't always give DUI's, even to those that really deserve it. I've seen it with my own eyes on a number of occasions.

Point is, Joey was subjectively judged to be impaired while driving. Driving can be dangerous even when we are not impaired. I hope he is overly cautious the rest of his life.

How about that Heisman Florida State guy? He got suspended for a single game after he willfully robbed a store!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

SundayJam wrote:
Point is, Joey was subjectively judged to be impaired while driving.
he blew a .155.

THAT isnt subjective.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

xer 21 wrote:
SundayJam wrote:
Point is, Joey was subjectively judged to be impaired while driving.
he blew a .155.

THAT isnt subjective.
University of Notre Dame Student Affairs wrote:Blood/Breath Alcohol Concentration (BAC) is the amount of alcohol in the bloodstream or on one’s breath. BAC is expressed as the weight of ethanol, measured in grams, in 100 milliliters of blood, or 210 liters of breath. BAC can be measured by breath, blood, or urine tests.

The number of drinks consumed is a very poor measure of intoxication largely because of variation in physiology and individual alcohol tolerance.
There is much variation according to:

body weight
sex
body fat percentage even between gender

Neither BAC, nor the number of drinks consumed, are necessarily accurate indicators of the level of impairment. Tolerance to alcohol also varies from one person to another, and can be affected by such factors as genetics, adaptation to chronic alcohol use, and synergistic effects of drugs.
Yeah, it's subjective. I don't know Joey, and I don't know the circumstances of his arrest. Still, a danger was removed from the streets. As I said, I hope he will be overly cautious when driving for the rest of his life. That isn't a bad wish, is it?

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

What does all of that have to do with breaking the law?

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Grinch wrote:FYI: According to Tsai, cleared to play is Lakalaka. I like having him and St. Juste as tandem running backs. And, who knows, maybe another will get an opportunity to shine.
That's good news for our Warriors. I'd like to see DSJ getting more early carries so Lakalaka can also benefit from mixing it up.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

SundayJam wrote:Yeah, it's subjective. I don't know Joey, and I don't know the circumstances of his arrest. Still, a danger was removed from the streets. As I said, I hope he will be overly cautious when driving for the rest of his life. That isn't a bad wish, is it?
Subjective? .155 is over the limit.

I really like your Clark Little avatar, BTW.
I am the one who knocks.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I bet there must have been some anger drinking too. It was a celebration. But I'm sure deep down inside, he wish he was there. He could have done more. When he see Lakalaka getting tackled, Joey would bust through, run people over. This was suppose to be his year. Forget Lakalaka, we are now talking about DSJ. That was suppose to be Joey scoring the TDs.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:I bet there must have been some anger drinking too. It was a celebration. But I'm sure deep down inside, he wish he was there. He could have done more. When he see Lakalaka getting tackled, Joey would bust through, run people over. This was suppose to be his year. Forget Lakalaka, we are now talking about DSJ. That was suppose to be Joey scoring the TDs.

I'm wondering if going out and partying is more of a habit than something that happens only when his team wins. I find that hard to believe. I hope Joey is as remorseful as we've heard and gets his life together. That's more important than football.
I am the one who knocks.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Cabanalane: Can't forget Lakalaka. St. Juste is fast and tough, but by himself he's gonna take a beating (like Joey and Lakalaka did). AND, on a side note, in the first quarter of the Wyoming game Lakalaka had that sick spin move in a long run. =)
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

808Hawaii wrote:
SundayJam wrote:Yeah, it's subjective. I don't know Joey, and I don't know the circumstances of his arrest. Still, a danger was removed from the streets. As I said, I hope he will be overly cautious when driving for the rest of his life. That isn't a bad wish, is it?
Subjective? .155 is over the limit.
exactly. his "level of impairment" (and lets be realistic, if you're blowing twice the legal limit, its REALLY unlikely that he was still ok. he's not (hopefully) a lifelong alcoholic) aside, the fact that he broke the law isnt really subjective. .155 is objectively greater than .08.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

What's really sad to me is that Willis Wilson would have been getting a shot at playing during prime time.

When players squander their opportunities to play through DUI's, criminal misconduct or failing grades - which are matters that are totally within their control - I think of those like Willis who cannot play and would have relished the opportunity to play.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

SundayJam wrote:There's a lot about this case that we don't know. We weren't there. I've seen some outrageous oversight by HPD regarding anonymous drunks in the past. They don't always give DUI's, even to those that really deserve it. I've seen it with my own eyes on a number of occasions.

Point is, Joey was subjectively judged to be impaired while driving. Driving can be dangerous even when we are not impaired. I hope he is overly cautious the rest of his life.

How about that Heisman Florida State guy? He got suspended for a single game after he willfully robbed a store!
Actually Winston served just 20hrs of community service for shoplifting crab legs, which amounted to him missing three baseball games. He served a 1 game football suspension for lewd behavior in their student center. He served nothing for alleged rape. He also served nothing for the alleged signing of thousands of autographs for $$$.

Anyone see a trend here?

.155 is legally, and objectively, impaired. Joey has hurt us with his actions. Suspension was warranted. We cannot sweep that under the rug like those folks at Florida State did for Winston, now four times.