Visiting Oahu & ticket question

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
AggieVoice
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Visiting Oahu & ticket question

Post by AggieVoice »

Aloha!

My wife and I are excited to come visit your beautiful island for the game against our Aggies. I am sure you get these questions often, but so do we from fans visiting Logan, and it's always fun to point them around. Just curious if you had any advice on the following:

1) what section do the visiting fans usually sit in? Are they good seats or should I get something better and make friends with the Hawaii fans around me?

2) what is the best way to find tickets?

3) best things to do/sites to see on Oahu? We have been once before and did the PCC, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, and other main attractions. Any tips for something new and special?

4) best places to eat. We aren't fans of the usual tourist traps. Where do the locals eat with the best grub?

We are excited for the game and can't wait for our vacation!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Visiting Oahu & ticket question

Post by UnBiasFan »

Seats for visiting teams are decent (about the 10 yard line) but not great. We have some of the best fans and a few of the worst. Unfortunately some of the bad ones end up in the corners of the stadium near the field. I would go with my own fan section. But please report any bad behavior to security and police right away. It only gets worse if no one says anything.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I don't know much as far as tickets.
3) depends on what you like to do. You could take a couple of hikes. Diamond Head and Makapuu Lighthouse if you're the outdoors type. There is always Bishop Museum. Where are you staying?
4) Depends on what you like to eat. If you like sushi, I like Sushi Bay but it's out west, quite far from Waikiki. I'll go to Genki Sushi but only if my kids want to. Near to Waikiki is Side Street Inn on Kapahulu or Rainbow Drive Inn also on Kapahulu. Big City Diner
There's a lot more places to eat that are good but slips my mind for now.

One thing to remember, be careful around the ocean. Things may look calm but a big wave can always come and sweep you away. Since it's nearing winter, if you go to the north shore, go only to look and stay away from the water, far away.
ImageImage

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

For some good shave ice check out Shimazu Store on School St. Not far from Waikiki. Street parking only though.

Their small shave ice is bigger than a large anywhere else. They also have a lot of flavors to choose from (max 3).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/shimazu-store-honolulu

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Irse wrote:I don't know much as far as tickets.
3) depends on what you like to do. You could take a couple of hikes. Diamond Head and Makapuu Lighthouse if you're the outdoors type. There is always Bishop Museum. Where are you staying?
4) Depends on what you like to eat. If you like sushi, I like Sushi Bay but it's out west, quite far from Waikiki. I'll go to Genki Sushi but only if my kids want to. Near to Waikiki is Side Street Inn on Kapahulu or Rainbow Drive Inn also on Kapahulu. Big City Diner

One thing to remember, be careful around the ocean. Things may look calm but a big wave can always come and sweep you away. Since it's nearing winter, if you go to the north shore, go only to look and stay away from the water, far away.
Genki Sushi? WTF? We have some of the best Japanese food outside of Japan and you're going to recommend that place?

Mr./Ms. Aggie fan, out of the kindness of my heart I must strongly rebuke Irse's dining recommendations. I will post my own suggestions but I needed to be rude here to encourage visits from you and yours in the future.

Irse

Post by Irse »

saynotomercs wrote:
Irse wrote:I don't know much as far as tickets.

Genki Sushi? WTF? We have some of the best Japanese food outside of Japan and you're going to recommend that place?

Mr./Ms. Aggie fan, out of the kindness of my heart I must strongly rebuke Irse's dining recommendations. I will post my own suggestions but I needed to be rude here to encourage visits from you and yours in the future.
Try read correctly.
I'll go to Genki Sushi but only if my kids want to
Not recommending the place just saying my kids like it.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

1. Visiting fans sit mostly in Sections R, S, T in rows 1-30 (Orange) or 31-45 (Blue). If you prefer to sit in a non-visitor section, spend a little more for good seats in Blue "makai" (ocean side) sideline (Sections F-Q) or Blue south endzone (Sections A-E or AA-EE) to make sure you sit by classy folks.

2. The best way to get tickets is thru etickethawaii.com if you want to get tickets in a particular section. With that said, I've bought tickets off of craigslist and from people selling them at the stadium when I've needed extra tickets for friends (I have season tickets for myself) and it's been okay.

3. The best thing to do here is to find a nice, comfortable beach and sit and do nothing! Go rent some stand-up paddleboards over by Kailua, Ala Moana Beach Park, Ft. Derussey, or at the Hilton lagoon... However, you'll be here for Halloween weekend and if you are staying in Waikiki, it'll be crazy on Halloween night. Get back to your hotel room before sunset when the traffic gets too heavy and enjoy the madness because Kalakaua Ave will be loaded with people in costumes. For other events, check Honolulumagazine.com or Staradvertiser.com a little closer to your arrival.
4. What to eat depends on how adventurous you are and what kind of food you like. Asian foods here compares with the best of any city in the country, and you don't have to travel to a particular "Chinatown" or "Japantown" part of the city to find it because Asian food is everywhere on Oahu. The trendy cuisine right now is "Shabu Shabu" or hot pot of the Japanese (Ichirikinabe.com), Taiwanese (http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-home-caf%C3%A9-honolulu-2), or Chinese variety(http://littlesheephotpot.com/). Japanese Ramen and Vietnamese Pho (too many places to list) are also all the rage right now as well. Sushi and standard Japanese cuisine is always a safe bet, as is Korean BBQ. If you are staying out on the west side, give Monkeypod Kitchen a try.
5. RESPECT THE OCEAN!!!!!
6. DON'T SMOKE ON THE BEACH!!!!!

Have a great vacation!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Honolulu has a has a bevy of above-average and world-class Japanese restaurants. If you have money to spend, don't go to a fusion place like Alan Wong's (a good restaurant, however) or Roy's (a pretty average restaurant), go to a Japanese restaurant or two.

Sushi: Kona Kai Sushi Izakaya, Kin-Chan, Sushi ii
Tonkatsu: Ginza Bairin
Ramen: Agu Ramen Bistro, Tsurumen
Yakitori: Kohnotori
Izakaya: Rinka, Restaurant Wada, Izakaya Naru (Okinawan)
Teppanyaki: Jinroku, Yaki Yaki Miwa
Lunch/Breakfast: Mana Bu's (it's an onigiri/musubi store- so its a little odd for breakfast but you have to get there before 9 for the full selection), Sakura-Ya, Nu'uanu Okazuya (Okinawan/Local)

For "Hawaiian" food, which is not the same thing as "Local" food, I'd go to Ono's, Helena's or Tersty Treats. Helena's is a little hard to get to and Ono's has a ton of tourist traffic, but both are worth the trouble. Tersty's is not a restaurant and is more of a deli counter. "Hawaiian" food is both ethnic Hawaiian food and pre-WWII food. "Local" food's (Zippy's, Rainbows) origins are mostly post-WWII. In my opinion, "Hawaiian" food is a lot better, but it is more expensive and harder to find.

For Poke, I like Tanioka's in Waipahu town. The Alae poke is unique, the fish is always fresh and it's cut consistently well. It's a trek if you're not already in West Oahu and there's nowhere to eat, but this is the best place to experience the kama'aina palate, not just poke. I'd go there for lunch or a snack before noon.

Other places:

Budnamujip - It's very expensive Yakiniku, but in a town with a lot of good Yakiniku, this is the best by a wide margin (though I have not been to the famed Yakiniku Hiroshi, which is more of a Japanese establishment and is even more expensive)
Town - Not everything is all that great, but the produce they serve is 100% local and is of supreme quality. I'd recommend the pastas and the appetizers, especially the antipasto plate. Most out-of-towners go with the fish, but those dishes don't always come off well.
Le Bistro- It's elegant (not fine) French dining and isn't really a unique "Hawaii" experience, but the food is exceptional. Not cheap by any means but the prices are reasonable.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Aloha AggieFan where are you staying, Waikiki, North Shore, West Side?
Will give us a better idea of what to do near your hotel or rental.

I see the game is on Sat 11/1
Waikiki on Halloween night will be really packed with Festive folks in costumes...

There are a few Local Boys on the Utah St Roster, also a good amount of Utah St Alum still in Hawaii.
Might want to find out where they are sitting and also if there will be a game day tailgate.
Otherwise you can always stop by the SportsHawaii Tailgate.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Have you been to Haunama Bay? It's one of the three top attraction on Oahu (along with PCC and Pearl Harbor). If you go there, bring your own food because you don't want to spend $20 for a PB&J lunch. It's a calm marine reserve, but for some reason people drown there. Be careful.

If you go to look at big waves on the north shore, if you are standing on wet sand, you are too close.

Now the most important part of your inquiry, Places to eat: Gotta agree that Sushi Bay is the best pay-by-the-plate sushi restaurant in Hawaii, about 40 minutes from Waikiki. There is no second best pay-by-the-plate sushi restaurant after Sushi Bay. Nothing comes close to Sushi Bay. If you want top quality sushi, Akasaka Restaurant. Best plate lunch, Rainbow Drive-in for take-out, Likelike Drive-In and Liliha Bakery for dine in, all close to Waikiki. Best Hawaiian food, I recommend Yama's Fish Market, also close to Waikiki. Chinese: Hee Hing Restaurant is close to Waikiki and very good. Mexican is my favorite, but am told is not too good in Hawaii. But I like Serg's Mexican Kitchen in Manoa, about ten minutes from Waikiki (Really crowded on Tuesdays). I also like El Mariachi Restaurant. Korean: Sorabol is supposed to be good for dine-in, never tried it though.

Desserts are usually the first thing I yelp for when I travel. There are no excellent dessert places here in Hawaii. But there are a few restaurants and shops with signature items. My personal favorites are Leonard's Bakery (Malassadas), Paalaa Kai Bakery (Snow Puffies), Anna Miller's Restaurant I think aka as Marie Callender on the mainland (Fresh Strawberry Pie), Liliha Bakery (Coco Puffs) and Ted's Bakery (Sweet Potato/Haupia Pie). I noticed Key Lime Pie at Bob's Big Bear (known as Bob's Big Boy on the mainland). Gotta say, their Fresh Strawberry Pie rivals Anna Miller's, too.

Oh yeah, football stuff. Take it easy on us, eh?
Last edited by 808Hawaii on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

808Hawaii and Irse: Is Sushi Bay really that good? Better than Kazoku Sushi, which is right down the road by Home Depot?

Irse

Post by Irse »

poidog wrote:808Hawaii and Irse: Is Sushi Bay really that good? Better than Kazoku Sushi, which is right down the road by Home Depot?
Never been there.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Irse wrote:
poidog wrote:808Hawaii and Irse: Is Sushi Bay really that good? Better than Kazoku Sushi, which is right down the road by Home Depot?
Never been there.
$35 all-you-can-eat from Sunday-Thursday. Includes Hamachi, etc...

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Kazoku is much more expensive for much smaller pieces of fish on the rice. I go to Kazoku only because they offer White Tuna. I always get Chiraishi without the ocean salad, or salad on the side. I don't like the taste of the salad ruining my small portion of Ikura. The owner at Kazoku is really nice. He likes to talk stories.

But Sushi Bay is the Bomb. A Mixed Don at $9.99 may be enough to fill you up - salmon, ahi, spicy ahi & Ahi Poke, something like that. Even their Teriyaki Beef Don is good. The atmosphere at SB is much more casual, much like Genki. But as for quantity and price, it's the best. The owner Lance is also very personable. Have to say though, sometimes the quality of the Ahi and Hamachi isn't top grade. But waht do you expect for the price ($2.80 a plate)? Way wurted. Oh, and now you have to wait for about an hour at dinner time to get a seat.

BTW, if you go to Sushi Bay, you will not enjoy Genki or Kurukuru anymore. Not for half the fish at a higher price. I will not volunarily go to another pay-by-the-plate sushi place other than Sushi Bay. If only SB had White Tuna. And Uni.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
Irse wrote:
Never been there.
$35 all-you-can-eat from Sunday-Thursday. Includes Hamachi, etc...

What time is this? Includes Uni and White Tuna? I feel I may need to investigate this further.... :wink:
I am the one who knocks.