*** Official New Coach Thread ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Rich Miano

Post by Irse »

Dos Inus wrote:
RedZone wrote:Rather have a coach with some head coaching experience. Also want a coach who has coached in more than one successful program who has a lot of ties nationally. We got to be able to recruit across the country to be successful.
From USA Today, a list of the most highly regarded potential HC's:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /14679529/
Most of those guys already make double of what Chow makes.
ImageImage

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

Irse wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:
RedZone wrote:Rather have a coach with some head coaching experience. Also want a coach who has coached in more than one successful program who has a lot of ties nationally. We got to be able to recruit across the country to be successful.
From USA Today, a list of the most highly regarded potential HC's:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /14679529/
Most of those guys already make double of what Chow makes.
I know, I know. But thats why Frost may work. I think the Oregon HC only makes $1.4M so this Frost guy may be intrigued if we offer, say, $1M and our wonderful beaches and sunshine?

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: NEW HEAD COACH

Post by Grinch »

June Jones
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Dos Inus wrote:
Irse wrote:Most of those guys already make double of what Chow makes.
I know, I know. But thats why Frost may work. I think the Oregon HC only makes $1.4M so this Frost guy may be intrigued if we offer, say, $1M and our wonderful beaches and sunshine?
Frost's 2014 salary is $400K. http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... r_s_1.html
UH Head Coach minimum salary is something like $408K. Offeringing Frost $500K might be too attractive an offer to turn down.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Grinch wrote:June Jones
I'd take JJ back in a heartbeat!
I am the one who knocks.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

Frost for $500K? I like that even better. Will JJ come back for $500K?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

808Hawaii wrote:
His brand of offensive was exciting, even in games they lost. However, he would be a fool to come back just because anything less than a return to 12-0 Sugar bowl would be consider a failure. A winning season and Hawaii bowl would equal a failure.

I was going to say, the combo alignment of Colt-Jones- and the receivers was a one in a lifetime kind of thing. But counter point....Jones did it with Chang and CB. Could there be another?

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
His brand of offensive was exciting, even in games they lost. However, he would be a fool to come back just because anything less than a return to 12-0 Sugar bowl would be consider a failure. A winning season and Hawaii bowl would equal a failure.

I was going to say, the combo alignment of Colt-Jones- and the receivers was a one in a lifetime kind of thing. But counter point....Jones did it with Chang and CB. Could there be another?
Wouldn't the fanbase be fired up? Wouldn't there suddenly be interest in the program? No only here with us on the boards, but possibly statewide? That's what the program needs.
I am the one who knocks.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Guys we need someone with HC experience, an OC that has a non pro style as UH can't recruit for that system and a staff that can recruit well.

In the corporate world, a person needs to be mentored and groomed to transition from a manager to an executive. Look at what happen to our latest hire of a person without the proper experience - is Chow working out - so Rolo isn't the answer?

Also, stop with the JJ day dreams. His run was awesome and he revived the UH brand, but those days are done. His recruiting was horrible and most of his key players were rebounds without other options.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Palolo_2LA wrote:Guys we need someone with HC experience, an OC that has a non pro style as UH can't recruit for that system and a staff that can recruit well.

In the corporate world, a person needs to be mentored and groomed to transition from a manager to an executive. Look at what happen to our latest hire of a person without the proper experience - is Chow working out - so Rolo isn't the answer?

Also, stop with the JJ day dreams. His run was awesome and he revived the UH brand, but those days are done. His recruiting was horrible and most of his key players were rebounds without other options.
Do you have anyone in mind?

I don't think UH can afford a proven name. They are probably looking for someone at about the $500K range. At the same time, the fanbase needs to be re-awaken.
I am the one who knocks.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

If I had to choose:

1a. Kevin Gilbride - Exciting offense "Option Pass", pretty much based upon how a receiver reads coverages. I think it would be a good offense with the young QB's UH has.

1b. June Jones - Well I think we all know what JJ is all about, I'd be very happy to have him back. Why I say 1b, well whoever answers the phone first. lol
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Dos Inus wrote:Frost for $500K? I like that even better. Will JJ come back for $500K?
Wasn't that about what his salary was when he left? JJ is a special guy. Even though he can make much more elsewhere, he came back here for considerably less. Maybe he'd be willing to do that again.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:

JJ's heart is in Hawaii. I'm not going to give up on that idea of him coming back again to try his best to re-build the Warrior program.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Makana wrote:If I had to choose:

1a. Kevin Gilbride - Exciting offense "Option Pass", pretty much based upon how a receiver reads coverages. I think it would be a good offense with the young QB's UH has.

1b. June Jones - Well I think we all know what JJ is all about, I'd be very happy to have him back. Why I say 1b, well whoever answers the phone first. lol
Kevin Gilbride? What attachment does he have to Hawaii? Why would he want to come here for a fraction of market price?
I am the one who knocks.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

It's like deja vu all over again.