Do We Deserve A Winning Team?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Do We Deserve A Winning Team?

Post by cabanalane »

madeinhawaii wrote:You don't just need fans. You need customers.
How many Japanese tourists have been to an American Football game?
Chinese tourists?
European? etc?

Why can't we sell them any tickets? We sell them Hawaii whenever the teams play anywhere outside of Hawaii.
If they come for one game in their lifetime, that's one more ticket we have sold.

We can't sell because we don't have a sellable product, services, merchandise, or marketing presence..

Give the people what they want.
Awesome ideas. WHY NOT fill the seats with tourist? Let the foreign tourist experience a football game. Package the deal. Make the tickets cheap (for the tour groups). I understand tickets prices and numbers are pretty much set. At this point, it's ok to sell 10,000 seats and not worry about icing out local residences if the Football program was to turn around. Some need to pitch this idea. This is not about football. It's about money.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Just by my feel. I was a student during the Von Ap era (and Wagner). I didn't felt he was much of a likeable guy. I didn't felt the players liked him, the residences, etc, etc. I think Chow is different. Maybe cause he looks like everyone's grandpa. Don't we all have an uncle that kind of look like him? Players deserve it, especially the seniors that are leaving. I would say Chow deserve it, even if he is gone or fired next year.

(It has nothing to do with his personal life) I like to see Chow have some success.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

cabanalane wrote: I like to see Chow have some success.
that just means he'll stick around longer.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

^^^Not exactly, in my mind, I like to see him win maybe 5 out of 8. And maybe retire. He had a great career. I remember those BYU days (and read about USC, etc). No shame. But just like to NOT see him leave just one win this season.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

cabanalane wrote:^^^Not exactly, in my mind, I like to see him win maybe 5 out of 8. And maybe retire. He had a great career. I remember those BYU days (and read about USC, etc). No shame. But just like to NOT see him leave just one win this season.
he's not going to retire. he's a stubborn mule.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

What have I done to deserve this? :cry:
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:You don't just need fans. You need customers.
How many Japanese tourists have been to an American Football game?
Chinese tourists?
European? etc?

Why can't we sell them any tickets? We sell them Hawaii whenever the teams play anywhere outside of Hawaii.
If they come for one game in their lifetime, that's one more ticket we have sold.

We can't sell because we don't have a sellable product, services, merchandise, or marketing presence..

Give the people what they want.
Awesome ideas. WHY NOT fill the seats with tourist? Let the foreign tourist experience a football game. Package the deal. Make the tickets cheap (for the tour groups). I understand tickets prices and numbers are pretty much set. At this point, it's ok to sell 10,000 seats and not worry about icing out local residences if the Football program was to turn around. Some need to pitch this idea. This is not about football. It's about money.
There's too many other things to do here to want to spend half a day and watch two teams they have no connection with.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

cabanalane wrote:^^^Not exactly, in my mind, I like to see him win maybe 5 out of 8. And maybe retire. He had a great career. I remember those BYU days (and read about USC, etc). No shame. But just like to NOT see him leave just one win this season.
If he finishes 6-7, don't you think he'll want to come back next year? Or Ben jay will want him back next year?
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

xer 21 wrote:
he's not going to retire. he's a stubborn mule.

Chow will not leave $750K on the table.
I am the one who knocks.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I am starting with the hypothesis that the OP meant to ask whether UH football fans deserve a winning UH football team. I would say no more than team players themselves deserve a winning football team..

There are clearly winners and losers each week in college football in terms of teams and the coaches and players are at the nitty-gritty ,rubber meets the road reality of the situation.So,even if the coaches and players give 100 percent on both sides,one side is still going to lose....yet,both sides gave it their all...so did anyone really lose if both sides gave it their best shot? I would say no...but in reality one team got a W and the other team got a L.

As fans,we don't even play the game anymore,and are not physically invested in the game anymore...so do we ,as fans,have a right to demand a winning team if we can't play anymore?

Enjoy the journey as a fan,but don't demand that your team win because you feel you deserve it. Not happening.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

unpaid wrote:I am starting with the hypothesis that the OP meant to ask whether UH football fans deserve a winning UH football team. I would say no more than team players themselves deserve a winning football team..

There are clearly winners and losers each week in college football in terms of teams and the coaches and players are at the nitty-gritty ,rubber meets the road reality of the situation.So,even if the coaches and players give 100 percent on both sides,one side is still going to lose....yet,both sides gave it their all...so did anyone really lose if both sides gave it their best shot? I would say no...but in reality one team got a W and the other team got a L.

As fans,we don't even play the game anymore,and are not physically invested in the game anymore...so do we ,as fans,have a right to demand a winning team if we can't play anymore?

Enjoy the journey as a fan,but don't demand that your team win because you feel you deserve it. Not happening.
But if we feel we can't demand or expect a winning product, if we feel that the UHAD all the way down to the coaches and players don't put an entertaining product on the field, why should we support this product?
I am the one who knocks.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

(consistently) winning programs cost money................if fans want a winning program they need to put their money where their mouth is.............Hawaii fans don't. They are like the State politicians all talk, no walk.

And how do you define a winning team? 7-6 is a winning team. Do you want a 7-6 team or a 9-4 team. There is a big difference.

Do fans deserve a winning team? They don't even show up for games. No they don't.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

TheDuke wrote:(consistently) winning programs cost money................if fans want a winning program they need to put their money where their mouth is.............Hawaii fans don't. They are like the State politicians all talk, no walk.

And how do you define a winning team? 7-6 is a winning team. Do you want a 7-6 team or a 9-4 team. There is a big difference.

Do fans deserve a winning team? They don't even show up for games. No they don't.
I agree that winning costs money. But I also know as a fact of life that UH can't afford what it takes to win. Even before the P5 got what they wanted, we couldn't afford to keep up. Compare our facilities. And now, there's no way we can keep up with stipends/free food, etc.

Not all fans are all talk, no walk. Me, I know I'm not willing to fork out money. Not when UH can't. Hawaii fans only support winning programs. That's another fact of life. And proof is now. Most fans stopped attending games already because they quickly lost interest when we stopped winning and found other things to do.
I am the one who knocks.

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

It depends...

When it comes to overall love of UH football, Yes.
When it comes to willingness of students to pay the type of student fees other similar institutions pay...No
When it comes to the amount the state is willing to invest...No
When it comes to booster and other generous donor support...Yes
When it comes to fan loyalty during bad seasons...No (but we can almost overlook that one because if you win, they'll come...it's only when you see Tennessee or Alabama pack the house even when they suck, that you really start to think, No we don't deserve...)
When it comes to Rainbow Dancers...HELL YES we deserve a winning team :lol:

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Attendance is down to only die-hards. There are no fair-weather fans attending games at this point. And every season, there are more and more die-hards dropping out. So why is attendance down? Not only because we are not winning. The fanbase has decided that the product is not worth supporting. The fanbase is not willing to invest the time, money and emotions in this product. And many former die-hards will never return, even if the team did start winning their share of games. They'll find other things to do and no longer have time to go watch a .500 product. These losing seasons are doing permanant damge to the fanbase.

If the Warriors ever bounce back and starts winning, they will need the fair-weather fans to return in attendance.

Hard to believe, just three and a half season ago, we were co-champs of the WAC. Seems so long ago. Sugar Bowl? Ancient history. :o
I am the one who knocks.