Do We Deserve A Winning Team?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Do We Deserve A Winning Team?

Post by sl1322 »

Collectively and individually, do we deserve a winning team/program?

Other than being a taxpayer, my tangible contribution to the program this year consists of buying two tickets to the UDub game. I'm not sure how much this entitles me to a winning football program, if at all.

Not calling anyone out. Just throwing it out there after another loss.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: Do We Deserve A Winning Team?

Post by xer 21 »

this is a dumb post. how many alabama fans arent donors?

most of them.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

sl1322
All-conference
All-conference

Post by sl1322 »

Is the University of Hawaii committed to providing the resources necessary to have successful programs? If it can't demonstrate that the commitment exists, it will be extremely difficult to attain any sustainable success.

I would agree that the majority of any given university's fan base aren't donors. But do they support their programs during the down years better than we do?

I hate where this program is right now. But the $ amount of my contributions to the program is minimal. So how much of a right do I have to expect better?

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Yes. It's just hard ATM. Good Hawaii players want to go to the mainland and there's nothing to offer the mainland people other than staying in paradise.

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

After 2+ years of being punished with Chowball H3LL YESS WE DESERVE A WINNING TEAM!!!!! :zook: :zook: :zook:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

You don't just need fans. You need customers.
How many Japanese tourists have been to an American Football game?
Chinese tourists?
European? etc?

Why can't we sell them any tickets? We sell them Hawaii whenever the teams play anywhere outside of Hawaii.
If they come for one game in their lifetime, that's one more ticket we have sold.

We can't sell because we don't have a sellable product, services, merchandise, or marketing presence..

Give the people what they want.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

madeinhawaii wrote:You don't just need fans. You need customers.
Chinese tourists?
European? etc?

Why can't we sell them any tickets? We sell them Hawaii whenever the teams play anywhere outside of Hawaii.
If they come for one game in their lifetime, that's one more ticket we have sold.

We can't sell because we don't have a sellable product, services, merchandise, or marketing presence..

Excellent points and something that I don't think that the UH Athletic Department has ever explored with the Hawaii tourist industry. If you don't develop and promote the product here in Hawaii, how can UH ever consider expanding it to Asia itself?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Kelii_808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Kelii_808 »

At this point our program is Von Appen Status. We need another june jones type of guy to revive the program. Its on life support.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

its really sad that we're blaming fans who actually still contribute ANY money.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My3Cats wrote:
Chinese tourists?
European? etc?

Excellent points and something that I don't think that the UH Athletic Department has ever explored with the Hawaii tourist industry. If you don't develop and promote the product here in Hawaii, how can UH ever consider expanding it to Asia itself?
I dunno, man... I feel like if we are gonna sell this to tourists, it needs to be a little better, or at least our offense has to be more exciting. no tourist is gonna wanna spend $40/per person to watch us kick field goals.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Ben Jay will be right. One day there will be no more sports at UH. This state continues to drain everyone's wallet. No one can afford to give more. The rich don't care anymore and really never did. The politicians say they will help but never do. UH students don't care except the ones that play sports.

Enjoy it while you can cause it won't be here much longer. If it wasn't for the beautiful weather and some awesome folks I have met and family I have gained, I would leave this place right now.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

poidog wrote:
My3Cats wrote:
Chinese tourists?
European? etc?

I dunno, man... I feel like if we are gonna sell this to tourists, it needs to be a little better, or at least our offense has to be more exciting. no tourist is gonna wanna spend $40/per person to watch us kick field goals.
So true poidog. This should have actually started when we still had JJ, wins, and an exciting offensive product on the field. UH was already talking about playing games in Asia back then, but as usual, nothing was ever done about it, and now the product is too crappy to promote to our tourists.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Sell it to the tourists? You have to be kidding me. If the people of the State and the State won't support it why on earth would the tourists support UH football.

Do we deserve a winning team? No. We don't deserve squat. The State of Hawaii got what they asked for when they fired Coach Mac and canned the R&S.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

TheDuke wrote:Sell it to the tourists? You have to be kidding me. If the people of the State and the State won't support it why on earth would the tourists support UH football.

Do we deserve a winning team? No. We don't deserve squat. The State of Hawaii got what they asked for when they fired Coach Mac and canned the R&S.

Which is why I said.. "Give the people what they want." The salesman's mantra.
Don't try to sell them what YOU want or think they need. Simply give them what they want and they will come in droves.
Problem is, UH doesn't listen to the majority of fans, just a few vintage voices.
We had a winning formula that gave us national attention, brought students in and simply needed to be propped up a bit (recruiting, incentives for greater discipline, etc). With a contract extension at hand, they could have renegotiated in so many directions with additional conditions but instead they decided to do away with the winning formula and replace it with a dinosaur that never got us to a bowl game in the past... at least I don't remember it having done so...

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The bandwagon fans wanted Coach Mack gone. They got what they wanted. They never considered the downside of that decision........no mo R&S and a complete revamping of a team, it's branding, it's persona, it's national recognition.