NORM CHOW: RETIRE NOW

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: NORM CHOW: RETIRE NOW

Post by Grinch »

The guys on the Chow hiring committee (though they apparently got it wrong) know football. But most are old school football - as is Chow. Yeah twenty-twenty hindsight, but they should've asked or known that Chows style of offense would not produce like it did in thè old BYU days, or with players like Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, etc.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:up- and-coming coaches, while a bit cheaper, do not stay put for long.
So? that's the dumbest reason for not making a change. if that's how it is, then that's how it is. if someone comes here and strings together a couple of 9-10 win seasons in an effort to get an offer somewhere else, then that's fine. that means we will have had a couple of 9-10 win seasons!!!! I'll take that any day.
It's better to pay a good young coach for three years than have to pay a bad old one for the same three years. \:D/
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Dos Inus wrote:Well if that's the best we can do then I agree with both of you. Optimally, though, we need coaching consistency rather than having some new guy bring a new system in after a few years, and go through this "rebuilding" all over again. Consistency with coaching should be the goal. Take Shoji, for example. Murakami during the days of UH baseball dominance. St Louis HS under Cal Lee during the old days. Coach K at Duke. If we go through a new coach every 3 to 4 years, it would be unlikely we will have even .500 success consistently.

Agree, though, the ideal coach may not be found.

At this point, .250 every year would be a great improvement.
I am the one who knocks.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

808Hawaii wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:Well if that's the best we can do then I agree with both of you. Optimally, though, we need coaching consistency rather than having some new guy bring a new system in after a few years, and go through this "rebuilding" all over again. Consistency with coaching should be the goal. Take Shoji, for example. Murakami during the days of UH baseball dominance. St Louis HS under Cal Lee during the old days. Coach K at Duke. If we go through a new coach every 3 to 4 years, it would be unlikely we will have even .500 success consistently.

Agree, though, the ideal coach may not be found.

At this point, .250 every year would be a great improvement.
LOL How true

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

How much longer can the hawaii bowl last without hawaii in it?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Grinch wrote:The guys on the Chow hiring committee (though they apparently got it wrong) know football. But most are old school football - as is Chow. Yeah twenty-twenty hindsight, but they should've asked or known that Chows style of offense would not produce like it did in thè old BYU days, or with players like Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, etc.
really? MRC knows football?

they might "know" football but they clearly hadnt watched it in ten years as Chow sank both UCLA and UTah's offenses.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

reignjah11 wrote:How much longer can the hawaii bowl last without hawaii in it?
The more important question is, how much longer can the football program survive with Chow as our coach? How much longer can the UHAD put up with the decline in fan base support and attendance revenue? How many other programs - mainly women's programs - will be dragged down if the football program is scrapped?
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

xer 21 wrote:
Grinch wrote:The guys on the Chow hiring committee (though they apparently got it wrong) know football. But most are old school football - as is Chow. Yeah twenty-twenty hindsight, but they should've asked or known that Chows style of offense would not produce like it did in thè old BYU days, or with players like Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, etc.
really? MRC knows football?

they might "know" football but they clearly hadnt watched it in ten years as Chow sank both UCLA and UTah's offenses.
I'm wondering how many on the selection committee also attended Punahou.
I am the one who knocks.

shooter808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shooter808 »

season ticket holder wrote:
bigislandkurt wrote:Administrators don't hire football coaches. Insiders and powerful people do. And there's enough egg on the face to go around for all of them.

Remember the timing of when Chow was hired. It was to be his "Hawaii homecoming." A celebrated return of a Hawaii boy. On the national level, he was to be the first Asian American football coach. Oh, not to mention he was going to take significantly less than the mil we payed Mack per year.

Pulled this from some other post from 2011....these folks hired the coach.

1. Dr. Rockne Freitas, Vice President for Student Affairs and University/Community Relations at the University of Hawai‘i and former All-Pro Professional football player with the Detroit Lions.
2. Peter Ho, Bank of Hawaii Chairman, President & CEO
3. Bert Kobayashi, Jr. Partner, Kobayashi, Sugita & Goda
4. Duane Kurisu, entrepreneur, owner, PacificBasin Communications and Hawai‘i Sports Network, and the San Francisco Giants
5. Dr. Edison Miyawaki, Cincinnati Bengals football team minority owner, Hawai‘i Health I and II
6. Jean Rolles, Vice President of Community Affairs, Outrigger Enterprises, Inc.
Funny that all these non football people want to have say in what happens with UH football(legislators included) but not offer the actual support that is needed.
Then the AD who's been undermined several times in his short career, issues a harsh reality that football can not survive without help from the state, a point that was brought up back in the day from June Jones but for some reason all the fans are calling for the Ad's head.

It's really a backwards system and I doubt any coach will have a high level of success in this type of situation.
I'm sure the O-men club ponied up quite a bit to buy out McMackin which was a very poor decision. Followed up by hiring fellow alum Chow. En route to "world domination". This just kills me. The hubris on a small group of folks who place their high school's perceived accolades above the good of the football program and the state of Hawaii has delivered heartbreaking results.

I'm sure this result is not what they intended but the results are there. Own up to it an recognize when other agendas tamper with the process, results aren't good. The best man didn't get the job and we jettisoned Mac unfairly. I'd take him and his results in a heartbeat.

shooter808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shooter808 »

Here is the article that got me steaming after all these years.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =133344903
"DOES IT REALLY exist, this Punahou Mafia?

Sure it does, but it's not what you might think.

"It's not like we're in a smoke-filled room, eating spaghetti," said one high-level capo (anonymously, for fear of being caught breaking the O-men's pledge of O-merta). "But we are in the back room at Waialae Country Club, eating saimin, right now, planning world domination."

Hey, it worked for UH basketball; why not football?"

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Actually, the selection committee's top choice was Dirk Koetter. Jim Donovan forwarded his name to MRC and the BOR for approval. Thus, I don't think you can lay this one on the selection committee.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Duster wrote:Actually, the selection committee's top choice was Dirk Koetter. Jim Donovan forwarded his name to MRC and the BOR for approval. Thus, I don't think you can lay this one on the selection committee.
This is correct. Norm Chow was the "safe" choice after they rejected JD's actual #1 choice, Dirk Koetter. Seems like this has been said so many times on this board and elsewhere, but people either don't read well-informed posts or they don't care.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I think we need a change, but we have to be objective and select the best available candidate. Also, can the board whom selected Chow be removed? In business, the board who selects an executive is out if that person fails.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

poidog wrote:
Duster wrote:Actually, the selection committee's top choice was Dirk Koetter. Jim Donovan forwarded his name to MRC and the BOR for approval. Thus, I don't think you can lay this one on the selection committee.
This is correct. Norm Chow was the "safe" choice after they rejected JD's actual #1 choice, Dirk Koetter. Seems like this has been said so many times on this board and elsewhere, but people either don't read well-informed posts or they don't care.
Somewhere, Jim Donovan is feeling vindicated.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Palolo_2LA wrote:I think we need a change, but we have to be objective and select the best available candidate. Also, can the board whom selected Chow be removed? In business, the board who selects an executive is out if that person fails.
From the posts above, MRC was the one that chose Chow. The board chose Koetter. He's looking like the right choice now.

Me, I like Dino Babers. Or JJ. Or even Rich Miano. One thing that's obvious is the fanbase needs a reason to be invigorated.
I am the one who knocks.