NORM CHOW: RETIRE NOW

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: NORM CHOW: RETIRE NOW

Post by Duster »

season ticket holder wrote:
bigislandkurt wrote:Administrators don't hire football coaches. Insiders and powerful people do. And there's enough egg on the face to go around for all of them.

Remember the timing of when Chow was hired. It was to be his "Hawaii homecoming." A celebrated return of a Hawaii boy. On the national level, he was to be the first Asian American football coach. Oh, not to mention he was going to take significantly less than the mil we payed Mack per year.

Pulled this from some other post from 2011....these folks hired the coach.

1. Dr. Rockne Freitas, Vice President for Student Affairs and University/Community Relations at the University of Hawai‘i and former All-Pro Professional football player with the Detroit Lions.
2. Peter Ho, Bank of Hawaii Chairman, President & CEO
3. Bert Kobayashi, Jr. Partner, Kobayashi, Sugita & Goda
4. Duane Kurisu, entrepreneur, owner, PacificBasin Communications and Hawai‘i Sports Network, and the San Francisco Giants
5. Dr. Edison Miyawaki, Cincinnati Bengals football team minority owner, Hawai‘i Health I and II
6. Jean Rolles, Vice President of Community Affairs, Outrigger Enterprises, Inc.
Funny that all these non football people want to have say in what happens with UH football(legislators included) but not offer the actual support that is needed.
Then the AD who's been undermined several times in his short career, issues a harsh reality that football can not survive without help from the state, a point that was brought up back in the day from June Jones but for some reason all the fans are calling for the Ad's head.

It's really a backwards system and I doubt any coach will have a high level of success in this type of situation.
Wait a minute. Wasn't the search committee's top choice Dirk Koetter, which JD forwarded to MRC and the BOR, only to have that nixed in favor of NC? Maybe my recollection is flawed, but that is what I seem to remember. Thus, pinning the lackluster showing between then and now on the search committee may be unfair.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

poidog wrote:
cabanalane wrote:So if Chow is gone next week, Hawaii is not going to go undefeated or anything near that.
It might salvage some interest in the team and provide a small bump in attendance, especially if the holdover coaches are able to make some offensive changes without the "offensive guru" having final say over everything. I mean, we all agree that the defense is solid and the problems are mostly on the offensive side of the ball, right?
Correct. Just being in team sports as a kid, and these players are still "kids," I'm sure the feeling is the same. They love their coach and don't care what the "public" (fans) think.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I maybe wrong, but UH has had success under Paul Johnson and June Jones' offenses. Both understood that getting top recruits to the islands was tough. Regarding Chow - I just can't see us lining up against other top teams with similar offenses when our opponents usually have more talent at more positions. Sure we always have a few like Pisa, Laboy, Colt, Bess, Satele, etc. - but, our opponents have more of those types of players. My point - not sure which offense, but I'd like to see an offense that takes into account what we have (again, Johnson, JJ, Navy etc.)
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

If this team had a better offensive scheme there's a good chance it would be undefeated right now, maybe 1 loss to OSU.

Even a different QB could have changed the outcome of some games.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Grinch wrote:I maybe wrong, but UH has had success under Paul Johnson and June Jones' offenses. Both understood that getting top recruits to the islands was tough. Regarding Chow - I just can't see us lining up against other top teams with similar offenses when our opponents usually have more talent at more positions. Sure we always have a few like Pisa, Laboy, Colt, Bess, Satele, etc. - but, our opponents have more of those types of players. My point - not sure which offense, but I'd like to see an offense that takes into account what we have (again, Johnson, JJ, Navy etc.)
This is what apparently happens when the Head Coach's ego overwhelms common sense. It may also be what eventually caused JJ"s downfall at SMU. You believe all the hype about yourself and don't give enough credit to your support system and environs. Then when you go elsewhere, you start to go down a slippery slope.

Got to go where you can readily get the type of players you need for your kind of system.

Hawaii has traditionally been good at recruiting for defense and special team kickers.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

jhb3043 wrote:
poidog wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:up- and-coming coaches, while a bit cheaper, do not stay put for long.
So? that's the dumbest reason for not making a change. if that's how it is, then that's how it is. if someone comes here and strings together a couple of 9-10 win seasons in an effort to get an offer somewhere else, then that's fine. that means we will have had a couple of 9-10 win seasons!!!! I'll take that any day.
+1 same here
Well if that's the best we can do then I agree with both of you. Optimally, though, we need coaching consistency rather than having some new guy bring a new system in after a few years, and go through this "rebuilding" all over again. Consistency with coaching should be the goal. Take Shoji, for example. Murakami during the days of UH baseball dominance. St Louis HS under Cal Lee during the old days. Coach K at Duke. If we go through a new coach every 3 to 4 years, it would be unlikely we will have even .500 success consistently.

Agree, though, the ideal coach may not be found.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

^^^Miano, if he was hired instead of Chow, would've been one of those coaches that would stay a long time if he was successful.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

EITSwarrior wrote:^^^Miano, if he was hired instead of Chow, would've been one of those coaches that would stay a long time if he was successful.

He rocks. And has NFL experience. Lets get him.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Miano wasn't even a finalist the last time we looked for a coach. I went back and found the old thread. In that poll I picked Dirk Koetter. He wasn't who I really wanted (Baldwin) but I thought he was the best of the selections available. I am surprised to see that Chow had more than half of the votes.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41326&hilit=Head+co ... r&start=45
Last edited by RedZone on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Miano wasn't even a finalist the last time we looked for a coach. I went back and found the old thread. In that poll I picked Dirk Koetter. He wasn't who I really wanted (Baldwin) but I thought he was the best of the selections available. I am surprised to see that Chow had more than half of the votes.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

RedZone wrote:Miano wasn't even a finalist the last time we looked for a coach. I went back and found the old thread. In that poll I picked Dirk Koetter. He wasn't who I really wanted (Baldwin) but I thought he was the best of the selections available. I am surprised to see that Chow had more than half of the votes.
Yeah why was Miano not a finalist or heavily considered? I know he had no head coaching experience, but he was Hawaii's associate coach and was on staff since 1999. Not to mention he has NFL playing experience and a UH graduate.

Plus on Leahy and Leahy, after Mac "retired", Miano was a guest and pretty much gave his on-air job interview where he layed out his plans if he was hired. If I rememeber correctly, he pretty much in plain terms said he would stay the course, where he would've kept the coaching staff mostly intact. And the defense and offense would stay the same with some differences. Basically he would not do what Chow did.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

EITSwarrior wrote: Yeah why was Miano not a finalist or heavily considered? I know he had no head coaching experience, but he was Hawaii's associate coach and was on staff since 1999. Not to mention he has NFL playing experience and a UH graduate.

Plus on Leahy and Leahy, after Mac "retired", Miano was a guest and pretty much gave his on-air job interview where he layed out his plans if he was hired. If I rememeber correctly, he pretty much in plain terms said he would stay the course, where he would've kept the coaching staff mostly intact. And the defense and offense would stay the same with some differences. Basically he would not do what Chow did.
I heard several different stories, from he never actually turned in an application to the selection committee being a smokescreen so they could say they passed him over "objectively". I have no idea... but we would have won 6 or 7 games in 2012 instead of 3 and we'd still have Rolo and Aranda.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

IF Miano was gonna keep Rolo as offensive coordinator, and brought in a stud D-coordinator, I'd be happy with that. As Chôw is realizing, head coach is a lot different from simply O-coordinator
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote: Yeah why was Miano not a finalist or heavily considered? I know he had no head coaching experience, but he was Hawaii's associate coach and was on staff since 1999. Not to mention he has NFL playing experience and a UH graduate.

I heard several different stories, from he never actually turned in an application to the selection committee being a smokescreen so they could say they passed him over "objectively". I have no idea... but we would have won 6 or 7 games in 2012 instead of 3 and we'd still have Rolo and Aranda.

According to our newspaper he applied for the job. I was pretty disturbed that they did not let our AD make the selection.