NORM CHOW: RETIRE NOW

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: NORM CHOW: RETIRE NOW

Post by J-Rod »

I'm already passed the tipping point, but add insult by noticing that wyokie's Pokes may be the next team to defeat the Warriors at home? Really hard to give Norm the benefit of the doubt anymore.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

J-Rod wrote:I'm already passed the tipping point, but add insult by noticing that wyokie's Pokes may be the next team to defeat the Warriors at home? Really hard to give Norm the benefit of the doubt anymore.
Meanwhile I'm going to enjoy it.

Hawaii's offense is worse than ours. That's hard to comprehend.

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

bigislandkurt wrote:Administrators don't hire football coaches. Insiders and powerful people do. And there's enough egg on the face to go around for all of them.

Remember the timing of when Chow was hired. It was to be his "Hawaii homecoming." A celebrated return of a Hawaii boy. On the national level, he was to be the first Asian American football coach. Oh, not to mention he was going to take significantly less than the mil we payed Mack per year.

Pulled this from some other post from 2011....these folks hired the coach.

1. Dr. Rockne Freitas, Vice President for Student Affairs and University/Community Relations at the University of Hawai‘i and former All-Pro Professional football player with the Detroit Lions.
2. Peter Ho, Bank of Hawaii Chairman, President & CEO
3. Bert Kobayashi, Jr. Partner, Kobayashi, Sugita & Goda
4. Duane Kurisu, entrepreneur, owner, PacificBasin Communications and Hawai‘i Sports Network, and the San Francisco Giants
5. Dr. Edison Miyawaki, Cincinnati Bengals football team minority owner, Hawai‘i Health I and II
6. Jean Rolles, Vice President of Community Affairs, Outrigger Enterprises, Inc.
Funny that all these non football people want to have say in what happens with UH football(legislators included) but not offer the actual support that is needed.
Then the AD who's been undermined several times in his short career, issues a harsh reality that football can not survive without help from the state, a point that was brought up back in the day from June Jones but for some reason all the fans are calling for the Ad's head.

It's really a backwards system and I doubt any coach will have a high level of success in this type of situation.

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:I'm already passed the tipping point, but add insult by noticing that wyokie's Pokes may be the next team to defeat the Warriors at home? Really hard to give Norm the benefit of the doubt anymore.

way to rub it in :roll:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

jhb3043 wrote:
wyokie wrote:

way to rub it in :roll:
Hey...the truth hurts.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

wyokie wrote:

Could end up being the first 2 - 0 game I have ever seen. :o
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

Seriously-- if Chow retires or is fired, who could we possibly get to coach this team? Remember now, our athletic department is broke. Top shelf coaches are expensive, and up- and-coming coaches, while a bit cheaper, do not stay put for long.

Who? There is no one local who can recruit well outside the state.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Dos Inus wrote:Seriously-- if Chow retires or is fired, who could we possibly get to coach this team? Remember now, our athletic department is broke. Top shelf coaches are expensive, and up- and-coming coaches, while a bit cheaper, do not stay put for long.

Coach Chow, is that you with your first post?!

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

For example: A few years ago Arizona was paying $1.4 million a year to Mike Stoops. MIKE STOOPS. Yikes. And he was considered a bargain. We wince at Chow's salary. We couldn't even afford Mike Stoops.

Dos Inus
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Dos Inus »

WA Warrior wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:Seriously-- if Chow retires or is fired, who could we possibly get to coach this team? Remember now, our athletic department is broke. Top shelf coaches are expensive, and up- and-coming coaches, while a bit cheaper, do not stay put for long.

Coach Chow, is that you with your first post?!
Wish I was, wish I was.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Dos Inus wrote:up- and-coming coaches, while a bit cheaper, do not stay put for long.
So? that's the dumbest reason for not making a change. if that's how it is, then that's how it is. if someone comes here and strings together a couple of 9-10 win seasons in an effort to get an offer somewhere else, then that's fine. that means we will have had a couple of 9-10 win seasons!!!! I'll take that any day.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Winning programs build on successful coaching teams. Boise State did it. Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins, and Chris Petersen haven't done squat for the big schools that poached them. Well, maybe the book's still out on Petersen. I love how everyone harps on McMackin's big time loss to Wisconsin, but get all googly eyed at the prospect of Dino Babers even though he got beaten even worse by our former assistant coach at Wisconsin. Wisconsin pounded Bowling Green 68-17 this year! Heck, we get trounced every year by Rolo who is now the offensive coordinator for Nevada! I think everyone was in disbelief when Nevada rolled on us in Mack's final year. Now we just accept it as building years for Norm Chow.

The biggest beef I have with the whiners is that they applaud the same coaches that barely beat us when Mack was at the helm. Everyone is so in love with Gary Andersen now that he's the head coach at Wisconsin, but everyone hated it when we lost to him by a field goal in McMackin's final year.

Can we salvage something of Chow's team after he goes? Maybe. Should we bring back June Jones for his 2nd chance? Maybe. I'd like to see what he can do with another desperate Hawaii team.

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

poidog wrote:
Dos Inus wrote:up- and-coming coaches, while a bit cheaper, do not stay put for long.
So? that's the dumbest reason for not making a change. if that's how it is, then that's how it is. if someone comes here and strings together a couple of 9-10 win seasons in an effort to get an offer somewhere else, then that's fine. that means we will have had a couple of 9-10 win seasons!!!! I'll take that any day.
+1 same here

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Dos Inus wrote:Seriously-- if Chow retires or is fired, who could we possibly get to coach this team?
Good question. Who would be the interim coach? I may be wrong, but I think the team is together. Players love their coach. At this point, firing Chow would do no good. Let him finish this year. Let the players finish this year even if it's a loosing season again.

I don't think this years team is on the brink of something special. So if Chow is gone next week, Hawaii is not going to go undefeated or anything near that.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

cabanalane wrote:So if Chow is gone next week, Hawaii is not going to go undefeated or anything near that.
It might salvage some interest in the team and provide a small bump in attendance, especially if the holdover coaches are able to make some offensive changes without the "offensive guru" having final say over everything. I mean, we all agree that the defense is solid and the problems are mostly on the offensive side of the ball, right?