Triple option

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Triple option

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

How about we surprise Rice by opening with a Triple option package with Woolsey, Lakalaka, Ewaliko and St. Juste in the backfield.

and keep running this Triple option until they stop it. Or until we find the end zone!!! I would be really excited to see this; woo hoo; as I am sure the thousands of Hawaii fans.
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: Triple option

Post by xer 21 »

you know that learning an entirely different offense in two weeks never happens, right?

the triple option isnt as simple as "lets stuff some fast guys in the back field and randomly give them carries."
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

xer 21 wrote:you know that learning an entirely different offense in two weeks never happens, right?

the triple option isnt as simple as "lets stuff some fast guys in the back field and randomly give them carries."
The OP suggested a Triple Option package, not a new offensive scheme.

What do you suggest, more of the same 3 and out offensive drives, to create a highlight tape for Harding's punting ability?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
xer 21 wrote:you know that learning an entirely different offense in two weeks never happens, right?

The OP suggested a Triple Option package, not a new offensive scheme.

What do you suggest, more of the same 3 and out offensive drives, to create a highlight tape for Harding's punting ability?
We need to find the right combination of players and have them execute. A new offense in the middle of the season is not realistic.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Scott wrote:
We need to find the right combination of players and have them execute. A new offense in the middle of the season is not realistic.
Agreed. I think that the OP is suggesting a Triple Option package of plays, instead of the current run plays being called (that aren't working as well without Joey in the lineup), and using the team speed available. I don't think he is suggesting a new offense.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I just want us to complete passes. Classic UH football.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Scott wrote:
Agreed. I think that the OP is suggesting a Triple Option package of plays, instead of the current run plays being called (that aren't working as well without Joey in the lineup), and using the team speed available. I don't think he is suggesting a new offense.
I think it has more to do with our passing completion %. Many drives died because of incompletions. Lakalaka has been doing great in the absence of Iosefa. I agree that Joey is more productive but I think Lakalaka had 2 100+ yard games. 123 yards 19 carries vs Colorado and 124 yards on 32 carries vs UNI.

What I've been noticing is that Ikaika is hesitating a little and not releasing the ball quickly when he finds the open receiver. This gives the defense time to close on the receiver and it also makes it difficult for the WR to get YAC. Higgins made quick decisions and got the ball out faster and made good decisions but lacked the arm strength. It might have been good enough this season because we have a decent running game. I missed that short time graham came in so I don't know how he looks this season. Anyone can give a critique? Also WR are new and are not always on same page as QB. Thank you!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

thatmakakiloguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by thatmakakiloguy »

if not the most ridiculous suggestion I've seen today...

wilderstreet
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wilderstreet »

Ludicrous :lol:

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
well, that's basically what the OP is suggesting.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

Like others have said, I am not saying to change our offense--just maybe have the backups all play in this surprise package (keeping Woolsey at QB)--that would greatly boost the spirits of these hard working 2nd stringers knowing that they will get into the game just for a few plays.

I am sure it will boost the spirits of the starters to see the backups get into the game that would surprise the other team with something completely UNEXPECTED; AND HAVE A FEW TRICK PLAYS THROWN INTO THIS TRIPLE OPTION MIX; like a RB pass (using Ewaliko), reverse, etc.

Isn't player motivation a big part of the game???
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

tavarua88
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tavarua88 »

I swear these type of posts about the option comes up every year

kuznickic

Post by kuznickic »

Wow. Can I have whatever it is your smoking? You have no idea how football works. I think the right talent is there but they cant even execute the plays they practiced for months and you expect you them to do option? That is the hardest offense to master since it is all about timing. The early nineties teams did option since they had the right speed and they practiced for months. You expect to do a triple option "package". Get real! Learn what option is before you make this "great" suggestion. :evil:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I don't think it would be too hard to add this option to what they are already doing. It would give us an outside option and allow Ikaika to use his running ability.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf54ZzSM5TM
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Woolsey can throw the ball.

The turning point in the game was right after a Woolsey completion in prime time ... coach didn't let Woolsey throw it again

Sorry, don't remember the exact minute of this.

We got to stick with Woolsey. He has everything needed to be a great quarterback. And he will work through this.