Reilly
5%
Prater
8%

Total votes: 38

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Who do you think should start at QB?

Post by Duster »

BigWave96744 wrote:Ran into Prater and Wittek at the Northern Iowa Game :D
Not Reilly and Wittek?

They sure look mature - far from wild-eyed frosh or sophs. Kind of like NFL QBs. LOL!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

^^^yeah that's Wittek and Beau Reilly

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

EITSwarrior wrote:
bigislandkurt wrote:
xer 21 wrote: my point is that who ever is back there is going to take bad sacks, so i think Graham is more accurate.
Yes, you are right. Graham is more accurate --- To the defense.

He throws picks. Constantly.

But I'm certainly open to any and all possibilities. That is about all we have at this point.
CONSTANTLY??? That is ridiculous and overblown. He only threw multiple picks against USC. Which I remind you was his first college game, it was against USC and he had no running game to help him with Iosefa and Lakalaka out.

Against Oregon St and Nevada, he threw no picks. Did he play well? No, but neither did anyone else. Plus Chow was probably still calling plays early in the season. Graham didn't get to play with Jordan Wynn calling plays.
EITS, perhaps I should rephrase my comment to:" When Taylor Graham has played, he has thrown picks." My comment is basically meant to support my over-arching claim that we have NO QB. Due to Woolsey's struggles, many folks are making Graham to be the savior. No he is not. And if my claim is RIDICULOUS and OVERBLOWN, say what you must. But go and read through your retort to make sure we stay consistent in the definition of ridiculous. So are we to give him a mulligan for his "first college game?" The 6'5, 230lb Ohio state transfer whose father was an NFL QB? THe one who Norm Chow named STARTER even before he took "his first college snap?" At that point, Chow named him as the best QB to face USC. And we as fans all accepted it and stood by waiting for his greatness to happen. Not only did it never happen, he also got demoted. So to make such a claim to my post proves that Ridiculousness is perhaps mutual. Like Woolsey ahead of him, TG will have to contend with attacking defenses looking to smash him...and they will, because play calling has been very limited with the absence of Iosefa. Like Woolsey ahead of him, he will constantly be pressured and hit.....albeit, with a tighter spiral and perhaps a bit more accuracy. Woolsey is in a funk, Yes, I agree. Let us not forget however, the Washington Game where he actually made a few key throws. Two of them on third and long to Kemp. Since then, all has went downhill. And remember, since then, NO IOSEFA. This is the best thing that could have happened to any defense facing UH. Bring in Graham? Sure. Especially if Ikaika can't get out of his current funk. But don't be so quick to anoint him based upon NO body of evidence.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

As for Taylor Graham, I just don't think he's in the right offense. I think Graham is more of a rhythm QB, has all the tools you look for in a QB pretty much prototypical, but not for a Spread offense. No offense Taylor Graham if you're viewing this forum, but I think Graham is more of a game manager type QB, needs a good running game around him that will help him utilize play-action. And that's what Chow needs to with Graham, coach him the same way he coached Matt Lienart.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Taylor Graham in a spread offense?

I don't think that Chow is running a spread offense right now anyway. Unless you count run up the middle, run up the middle, chuck the ball downfield, punt to be a spread offense.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Aw carp, sorry Beau.. yes I did mean Reilly and Wittek

tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

is that Wittek or Reilly on the right?
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I really think Woolsey would benefit by sitting. He is overthinking things, being too cautious and trying not to commit turnovers. Observing things without game preparation/starter pressure will help the mental aspect - he has the physical tools. Norm seems to be hanging his hat on "the guy" he selected at the end of Spring Practice and Fall Camp - kind of old school.

Graham's issue last year was mental after not playing in prime time since high school. He was simply not ready to make snap reads and decisions. After having a taste of game speed last year and going over things and taking mental reps with that perspective, I think he is ready. I sensed it from that video of Norm and Mrs. Chow making PBJs, where Graham was shown eating one. It was in his eyes. Rice is an out of conference game, so this is the last time Norm can try to see if Graham is the guy for this year - he may not relinquish the keys to the offense. If not, he can send Woolsey into the game without the pressure of being the starter and gain confidence that way.

I am not trying to be a "Mentalist", but I think this part may be overlooked when there is too much focus on practice video review.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

tom-WarriorNation wrote:is that Wittek or Reilly on the right?
I believe it's Wittek on the right. And think that's Pereese Joas, the featured player on Warrior Beat today, to the left of Beau (i.e., on Beau's right).

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Duster wrote:I really think Woolsey would benefit by sitting. He is overthinking things, being too cautious and trying not to commit turnovers. Observing things without game preparation/starter pressure will help the mental aspect - he has the physical tools. Norm seems to be hanging his hat on "the guy" he selected at the end of Spring Practice and Fall Camp - kind of old school.

Graham's issue last year was mental after not playing in prime time since high school. He was simply not ready to make snap reads and decisions. After having a taste of game speed last year and going over things and taking mental reps with that perspective, I think he is ready. I sensed it from that video of Norm and Mrs. Chow making PBJs, where Graham was shown eating one. It was in his eyes. Rice is an out of conference game, so this is the last time Norm can try to see if Graham is the guy for this year - he may not relinquish the keys to the offense. If not, he can send Woolsey into the game without the pressure of being the starter and gain confidence that way.

I am not trying to be a "Mentalist", but I think this part may be overlooked when there is too much focus on practice video review.
I agree with everything your said. BTW what video is that and where can I see it.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

EITSwarrior wrote:
Duster wrote:I really think Woolsey would benefit by sitting. He is overthinking things, being too cautious and trying not to commit turnovers. Observing things without game preparation/starter pressure will help the mental aspect - he has the physical tools. Norm seems to be hanging his hat on "the guy" he selected at the end of Spring Practice and Fall Camp - kind of old school.

I agree with everything your said. BTW what video is that and where can I see it.
Norm Chow: Inside Access on OC-16. Irse may have posted it.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

My3Cats wrote:Taylor Graham in a spread offense?

I don't think that Chow is running a spread offense right now anyway. Unless you count run up the middle, run up the middle, chuck the ball downfield, punt to be a spread offense.
Well it sure isn't Split-back, no sluggo's, no broken-I's, there sure isn't any 3, 5 or 7 step drops coordinated with a receivers routes, no sprint-right options all I see is shot-gun form with receivers running sideline routes and crosses.

Honestly, I have no idea what Chow is running as if he's still trying to find an identity for his offense. Pistol formation should be thrown out the window the offense is just so slow to execute from there.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote: Honestly, I have no idea what Chow is running
the same ambiguous stupid crap he's been running for a long time here.

although to be fair, as far as the drops with receiver routes and only running short BS...you've seen our QBs and receivers, right?

they cant do anything. so even if Chow tried to run anything, would it matter?
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

akuhead2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by akuhead2 »

Makana wrote:

akuhead2 wrote:
Prater

I had Prater at the top of my list 3 months ago.
1. Prater 2. TG 3. Reilly or Higgins, until now, now that I have seen Higgins, 3. Reilly
Prater: mature, great arm, will to win

Interesting.

I'm just curious (I'm not being a smart a$$ in any way) but what makes Prater your #1 choice to start?? I haven't had the pleasure of watching him yet, no Youtube videos either. Is he a Pocket, Scrambler or Balanced QB??

-Helio Gracie

Hey Makana,

I saw wailukuwarriorfan posted one of Prater's workouts. Here is another youtube of Eric Prater playing in a game with the Army Rangers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGWzbNK4qHs

I think he can play under pressure. As a pitcher, he could throw the 90 mph or better fastball. And he had trained with the Taylor Barton Football Academy, which to me showed that he was serious. Very reputable, but I saw some of the camps were for two weeks only. Maybe that's enough. Maybe he signed up for more? There were and are a lot of pro QB's that go to that camp.

https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/1918348

http://www.northwesteliteindex.com/2013 ... ic-prater/

I think for a D1 QB, you have got to be able to get the ball down the field, with accuracy, and under pressure. I think Taylor Graham and Beau Reily can also get the ball down the field with accuracy. Everyone has said Higgins had accuracy, but not the arm strength. I gave Prater the nod over Reilly because of the maturity, he is older, and married, although that may be just silly as a reason, and what do I know. And I gave Prater the nod over Graham, just because of all the interceptions last year. Also heard somewhere that Prater could scramble, and that he is not just a pocket passer (see the Army Ranger's video). I have not been impressed with Woolseys footwork. Any purported running game has not been there as the stats confirm. I also saw on the youtube that Beau Reilly could run a bit.

Bottom line, I like Prater, Reilly, and Graham because of arm strength and accuracy. Graham threw too many interceptions last year, but this is a new year. Finally, I gave Higgins the nod over Woolsey, because the QB first has to throw the ball. I thought at the time that Woolseys running ability kept him competitive, but I no longer think we have much to look forward to in that area of his game.
Now, with Reilly and TG on the Roster, and Prater not - and possibly red-shirting, I think the offense will pick up with either of them in there.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

akuhead2 wrote:Makana wrote:

akuhead2 wrote:
Prater

I had Prater at the top of my list 3 months ago.
1. Prater 2. TG 3. Reilly or Higgins, until now, now that I have seen Higgins, 3. Reilly
Prater: mature, great arm, will to win

Interesting.

I'm just curious (I'm not being a smart a$$ in any way) but what makes Prater your #1 choice to start?? I haven't had the pleasure of watching him yet, no Youtube videos either. Is he a Pocket, Scrambler or Balanced QB??

-Helio Gracie

Hey Makana,

I saw wailukuwarriorfan posted one of Prater's workouts. Here is another youtube of Eric Prater playing in a game with the Army Rangers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGWzbNK4qHs

I think he can play under pressure. As a pitcher, he could throw the 90 mph or better fastball. And he had trained with the Taylor Barton Football Academy, which to me showed that he was serious. Very reputable, but I saw some of the camps were for two weeks only. Maybe that's enough. Maybe he signed up for more? There were and are a lot of pro QB's that go to that camp.

https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/1918348

http://www.northwesteliteindex.com/2013 ... ic-prater/

I think for a D1 QB, you have got to be able to get the ball down the field, with accuracy, and under pressure. I think Taylor Graham and Beau Reily can also get the ball down the field with accuracy. Everyone has said Higgins had accuracy, but not the arm strength. I gave Prater the nod over Reilly because of the maturity, he is older, and married, although that may be just silly as a reason, and what do I know. And I gave Prater the nod over Graham, just because of all the interceptions last year. Also heard somewhere that Prater could scramble, and that he is not just a pocket passer (see the Army Ranger's video). I have not been impressed with Woolseys footwork. Any purported running game has not been there as the stats confirm. I also saw on the youtube that Beau Reilly could run a bit.

Bottom line, I like Prater, Reilly, and Graham because of arm strength and accuracy. Graham threw too many interceptions last year, but this is a new year. Finally, I gave Higgins the nod over Woolsey, because the QB first has to throw the ball. I thought at the time that Woolseys running ability kept him competitive, but I no longer think we have much to look forward to in that area of his game.
Now, with Reilly and TG on the Roster, and Prater not - and possibly red-shirting, I think the offense will pick up with either of them in there.
And they also have to read defenses run by real DCs, not someone who is in the armed forces.
ImageImage