Post by bujuboi1 »

Who's the problem?

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: QBs or Wrs?

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Both.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

bujuboi1 wrote:Who's the problem?
Both so the real problem is coaching.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

RedZone wrote:
I agree. The amount of separation the receivers are getting was so minimal. If it looked that way from the camera's perspective, I can imagine how much tighter it looked from the ground and the QB's perspective. Higgins throws a softer more catchable ball but that also means there's a greater chance for interceptions. Woolsey throws a bullet... receiver needs to have good reactions and great hands. Graham? Graham needs 7 seconds in the pocket.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

madeinhawaii wrote:
RedZone wrote:
I agree. The amount of separation the receivers are getting was so minimal. If it looked that way from the camera's perspective, I can imagine how much tighter it looked from the ground and the QB's perspective. Higgins throws a softer more catchable ball but that also means there's a greater chance for interceptions. Woolsey throws a bullet... receiver needs to have good reactions and great hands. Graham? Graham needs 7 seconds in the pocket.
Actually, Graham looked decent today despite the fact that he was handicapped with starting his only possession from the two yard line. But then again, WTH was he thinking/looking at when he threw that INT? #-o
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

Both
None of the QB really had much game experience coming into the season. Ikaika Woolsey has talent, but does not seem to have a good feel for the position. Jeremy Higgins just doesn't have an arm for Division I football. Taylor Graham has an arm but just makes slow reads and gets hurt a lot. I believe Norm pick Woolsey to start this season hoping he would develop a better feel for being the starting QB and that it would pay off the next 2 season. But Woolsey just is not making good reads.
At this point I would give Graham shot. He can't do any worse and Ikaika might be a little better at this point coming off the bench.

At the WR position, the loss of Trevor Davis who transferred last year and the loss of Vasquez Haynes to injury and Keith Kirkwood transferring right before the start of the season has devastated Hawaii WR depth and development. Add the fast that Jordan Pu`u-Robinson has not played much because of injuries and you can’t expect much from the WR if they just don’t have experience talent to pass too.

Now I hope that Ammon Barker, Marcus Kemp, Keelan Ewaliko and Quinton Pedroza can develop this year and hopefully Haynes and Devan Stubblefield come back healthy next years and we should see improvement at the WR position in the future.

But we need to recruit speed at WR and maybe a JC QB who will bring more experience to the position.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

RedZone wrote:
Agreed. If players can't make plays on their raw talent alone, coaches gotta make adjustments to do different things to get guys the ball

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

QB coach

WR coach

The two positions struggling the most have the two youngest position coaches on staff. And we're talking right-out-of-college young.

What is strange to me is how well Chow built the staff on the defensive side. I was hopeful when he brought on Price, then that was screwy. Wynn seemed to have something by the way he handled the play calling with Schroeder. But now, I don't know. Just like how Mack made the mistake of not letting Rolo run with the Offense, I wonder if Chow is interfering to much with the WR/QB coaches due to their youth. Or, could he be trusting them too much. Whatever the case, it may be too late to change anything because if they don't start winning, Chow will be out of a job.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

100% QB!!!!!! you gotta throw the ball so the receiver can catch it, so many incomplete i sees the QB trying to fit it in the the db is blanketed over the receiver. If the QB see that he shouldn't throw the ball.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

whirlygig5 wrote:100% QB!!!!!! you gotta throw the ball so the receiver can catch it, so many incomplete i sees the QB trying to fit it in the the db is blanketed over the receiver. If the QB see that he shouldn't throw the ball.
That's cause the receivers aren't getting enough separation.

They should study Royce Pollard's moves... he wasn't the fastest but at least he got open regularly and caught balls. (See from 40 seconds in. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7JPLo ... ture=share

What I liked about the RnS receivers was that they ran their routes giving it 100% whether they were going to be targets or not. Not sure I'm seeing this in the receiver's this season. I also miss those crossing patterns where I slot blocked the defender off of the other.

whirlygig5

Post by whirlygig5 »

"That's cause the receivers aren't getting enough separation. "

for that you need a little time and space, sometimes the receivers take 3 steps and the QB tries to gun it in there. Maybe our receiver don't have the skill yet to make a move at the line of scrimmage, but its the QBs job to regocnize

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Exiled »

Ok. Finally saw the replay. The problem was definitely the QBs. Woosley AND Higgins did not throw well. Nor, from what I could tell from the tv broadcast, they did not throw to the open receivers. Guys were getting open, it is just how they were not getting the ball. Moreso, Higgins and Woosley could not throw any quick passes well at all, hitches and slants were poorly timed and behind the recievers.

Even with little to no reps, Graham hit his recievers in stride, giving them a chance to gain YAC. On the INT, that was a poor decision, but to be fair the TE never turned his head when he cleared the LB. That kind of thing happens when you don't believe the ball will come your way because of QB play.

To me, i cannot understand Chow's decisions concerning the QB. First Graves, then Schroeder, now Graham; in every case he fails to use his QBs properly..

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Four problems: 1. When the long pass has been there Woolsey hasn't been close to completing it. He is not consistent. 2. If you can't complete the long pass and they know it the CBs will be on the receivers in press coverage. As long as Woolsey is the starter you will see tight press coverage because they are not concerned at all about the long ball. We can't complete it even when the receivers get separation. 3. If they are on the receivers in press coverage you better be accurate and Woolsey is not. 4. What did you expect against 3 Pac12 teams? They have better athletes and more speed at the skill position. That is a given. You are not going to get that much separation. That is the reality.

QB play is the issue.

Passing Ds do not have any respect for our QB. Force us to pass is a pretty good strategy for success. I am amazed that we are running the ball as well as we have considering the LBs are close to the line of scrimmage and the safties are in the box supporting the run. Give the OL credit.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

TheDuke wrote:Four problems: 1. When the long pass has been there Woolsey hasn't been close to completing it. He is not consistent. 2. If you can't complete the long pass and they know it the CBs will be on the receivers in press coverage. As long as Woolsey is the starter you will see tight press coverage because they are not concerned at all about the long ball. We can't complete it even when the receivers get separation. 3. If they are on the receivers in press coverage you better be accurate and Woolsey is not. 4. What did you expect against 3 Pac12 teams? They have better athletes and more speed at the skill position. That is a given. You are not going to get that much separation. That is the reality.

QB play is the issue.

Passing Ds do not have any respect for our QB. Force us to pass is a pretty good strategy for success. I am amazed that we are running the ball as well as we have considering the LBs are close to the line of scrimmage and the safties are in the box supporting the run. Give the OL credit.
The game that gave me the most fits this season was the UNI game. I expected the defense of the PAC12 to keep our Warriors from scoring much. I did, however, expect our Warriors to punch it in a few more times when they got into the red zone. The red zone performance has been somewhat of a disappointment to me - and that has nothing to do with the deep pass.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

[/quote]The game that gave me the most fits this season was the UNI game. I expected the defense of the PAC12 to keep our Warriors from scoring much. I did, however, expect our Warriors to punch it in a few more times when they got into the red zone. The red zone performance has been somewhat of a disappointment to me - and that has nothing to do with the deep pass.[/quote]

I agree with you. And yes the red zone has nothing to do with the deep pass because the deep pass doesn't come into play. But the red zone puts a premium on accuracy. You are not going to get separation in the red zone. The DBs are in press coverage, LBs and safties are in the passing lanes. If the LBs and safties are in the box against the run and the short passes you better be DECISIVE AND ACCURATE.