Can we have better play-calling for Colorado?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Can we have better play-calling for Colorado?

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

Also 4 years ago in Colorado, we led at halftime 10-0 but totally gassed out when Colorado started doing no-huddle in the 2nd half--hope we are prepared this time.

http://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2010/9/ ... h=football

If Chow can have the first 10 or 15 plays crafted for opening the game (like UW); why can't he do that for the whole game? Or anything creative besides running up the middle more than half the time.

How about more fly-sweeps, swing passes, shovel passes, three WR's on one side (to have WR's set picks), mis-direction plays, screen passes; or ANYTHING that makes the game fun to watch, period. Isn't our WR's always open for 5-8 yard completions because their CB's are playing back?

Not the brain-dead plays running up the middle 60-70% of the time.
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Can we have better play-calling for Colorado?

Post by Irse »

tom-WarriorNation wrote:Also 4 years ago in Colorado, we led at halftime 10-0 but totally gassed out when Colorado started doing no-huddle in the 2nd half--hope we are prepared this time.

If Chow can have the first 10 or 15 plays crafted for opening the game (like UW); why can't he do that for the whole game? Or anything creative besides running up the middle more than half the time.

How about more fly-sweeps, swing passes, shovel passes, three WR's on one side (to have WR's set picks), mis-direction plays, screen passes; or ANYTHING that makes the game fun to watch, period. Isn't our WR's always open for 5-8 yard completions because their CB's are playing back?

Same HC and same OC so I wouldn't bet on it.
ImageImage

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Can Hawai'i be prepared and just win? Bad play calling or not, just win, I know it's a new season and all but a lot of fans are desperate for any kind of real win (not those "moral victories.")

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

WA Warrior wrote:Can Hawai'i be prepared and just win? Bad play calling or not, just win, I know it's a new season and all but a lot of fans are desperate for any kind of real win (not those "moral victories.")
That is (to use your word) Hilarious!

Before the game, Northeastern Iowa was Goliath. Now, they are nobody and we got a morale win.

Please. We won because our defense belongs n the top 50 in the country. And our special teams is top 20.

It doesn't take a Sagarin spreadsheet to see that.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Were you referring to N.Iowa as the Goliath or Hawai'i as Goliath?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:
WA Warrior wrote:Can Hawai'i be prepared and just win? Bad play calling or not, just win, I know it's a new season and all but a lot of fans are desperate for any kind of real win (not those "moral victories.")

Before the game, Northeastern Iowa was Goliath. Now, they are nobody and we got a morale win.

Please. We won because our defense belongs n the top 50 in the country. And our special teams is top 20.

Leonard Peters said the Defense graded out to a "C". They gave up too many big plays and they left too many receivers wide open. Had Northern Iowa's QB been a more accurate passer, we would have been gassed.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Oh is that a fact? I didn't see the game, I was salmon fishing. Interesting comments about the D.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

madeinhawaii wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:

Leonard Peters said the Defense graded out to a "C". They gave up too many big plays and they left too many receivers wide open. Had Northern Iowa's QB been a more accurate passer, we would have been gassed.
I think it had something to do with the pounding he was getting. Even after he threw the ball. Leonard looks like he still could play. I guess Iowa is manini too.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

tom-WarriorNation wrote:Also 4 years ago in Colorado, we led at halftime 10-0 but totally gassed out when Colorado started doing no-huddle in the 2nd half--hope we are prepared this time.

Chow has said in the past that they run the scripted plays then adjust depending on what their defense is doing and on how the offense is executing plays. Makes sense to me. Quarterback struggling you run the ball or change quarterback. Seems like he did both. Our wide receivers are inexperienced and they need to improve not just their pass catching but their blocking. One thing I really liked when Grice-Mullins and Bess played is how the receivers blocked for each other. Kinda looks like their corners are on our wide receivers backs a lot.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: